• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok so we can open carry Pistols but what about rifles?

AaronG

imported post

Im getting an AR15 soon and was wondering about rifles also? i have not found a single topic on carrying a rifle here in ohio but i know that carrying a pistol (openly) is ok.

IxionDeece

imported post

The last time I checked you can legally open carry a rifle.....if that is your thing at least. But there really ain't much defensive use in a rifle, plus they stand out like a sore thumb. You will definitely get attention if that is what you want.

AaronG

imported post

well if its legal to do then im gonna do it. i dont care if people like it or not. if its legal to do then i will use my rights as much as i can.

theqbn

imported post

Definitely want to hear your experience. Also, be aware that you cannot carry a loaded long gun in a car at all, even with a CHL. It's stupid, but it's the law and it would be a bad thing to get screwed over.

t33j

imported post

A lot gun owners seem to have problems with this. I don't. Good luck, and bring a voice recorder.

theqbn

imported post

t33j wrote:
A lot gun owners seem to have problems with this. I don't. Good luck, and bring a voice recorder.
+1,000,000 on the voice recorder. You WILL need it if you are carrying a rifle around where there are people.

I also support this, although I think pistols are generally more practical for carry, the right to carry is a right regardless of whether you're carrying a .22 mini-revolver or a .50 BMG rifle. And frankly, there are some parts of the world where going in with less than a rifle is a bad idea. :p

If it weren't for the NFA, a short-barreled rifle would be a perfect companion for backpacking and "rough" areas...

poddus

imported post

it's certainly legal, assuming your gun is legal too (legal ownership, etc.). However, rifles are much more threatening to the public, so try not to enter any buildings. "Inducing Panic" is something a bunch of open carriers have been accused of by cops, but if you look at the law, some woman thinking you're gonna blow her away just because you have a gun does not fit the definition of "inducing panic". Causing the evacuation of a building, however, is one of the few things that you can do with a gun that falls under the definition of "inducing panic". More on that here:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2917.31

Openly carrying rifles, especially those types of rifles that some people consider "assault rifles", has been used by extremist militant political groups in the past and is generally considered much more aggressive and potentially dangerous than carrying a pistol, so stirring up your neighborhood to the point of lunacy may be within reach, depending on where you live. I, personally, would try OC a pistol first to see the reaction before walking around with an AR15 and getting into a world of trouble. Just my opinion though, it's legal, so use your own judgment.

Oh, one more thing: get a sling. Carrying with only your hands could be considered brandishing. Much in the same way that you wouldn't carry a pistol around in your hands, don't carry your rifle around like that.

cheers,

-poddus

theqbn

imported post

As far as I know we do not have a state-wide "brandishing" law, a search of the ORC does not reveal one. That does not mean that there won't be local ordinances, so poddus does present some very valid points.

AaronG

imported post

yes i will carry it with a sling. plus i wont be holding it like im going to shoot it or anything. it will be a once and a while thing and wont be done all the time. i just wanted to be sure it was legal before i did it. thanx for the info. i will also be getting a dangerous ordnance license so i can have mags that are bigger than 30 rounds

1245A Defender

imported post

AaronG wrote:
yes i will carry it with a sling. plus i wont be holding it like im going to shoot it or anything. it will be a once and a while thing and wont be done all the time. i just wanted to be sure it was legal before i did it. thanx for the info. i will also be getting a dangerous ordnance license so i can have mags that are bigger than 30 rounds
WHAT!!!!!!!

AaronG

imported post

yes aparently i have been reading that in ohio having a 40 rd mag is legal but loading it with 40rds and loading it into a weapon is illegal. i will pull some links soon so dont think im just going off without proof

Basicly any thing over 30 rounds is illegal in ohio. basicly 30+1 in the chamber is legal. but any more than that and its illegal

theqbn

imported post

Look, I'm gonna be frank - every gun owner I know blatantly ignores that law and you probably should too. Normally on these forums we're very cautious to make sure people operate within the existing law while working towards change, but that law is designed only to increase the mandatory jail time for violent crimes. 31 and higher count round magazines are easily available to purchase and own in Ohio.

Here's the link: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2941.144

Here's the quote:
(A) Imposition of a six-year mandatory prison term upon an offender under division (D)(1)(a) of section 2929.14 of the Revised Code is precluded unless the indictment, count in the indictment, or information charging the offense specifies that the offender had a firearm that is an automatic firearm or that was equipped with a firearm muffler or silencer on or about the offender’s person or under the offender’s control while committing the offense. The specification shall be stated at the end of the body of the indictment, count, or information and shall be stated in substantially the following form:

“SPECIFICATION (or, SPECIFICATION TO THE FIRST COUNT). The Grand Jurors (or insert the person’s or the prosecuting attorney’s name when appropriate) further find and specify that (set forth that the offender had a firearm that is an automatic firearm or that was equipped with a firearm muffler or silencer on or about the offender’s person or under the offender’s control while committing the offense).”

(B) Imposition of a six-year mandatory prison term upon an offender under division (D)(1)(a) of section 2929.14 of the Revised Code is precluded if a court imposes a three-year or one-year mandatory prison term on the offender under that division relative to the same felony.

(C) The specification described in division (A) of this section may be used in a delinquent child proceeding in the manner and for the purpose described in section 2152.17 of the Revised Code.

(D) As used in this section, “firearm” and “automatic firearm” have the same meanings as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

If you have any question, just keep it to 30-or-less mags when carrying the rifle. You can still own 40-rounders and enjoy them at the range.

Thundar

imported post

You will enjoy the feeling of fredom that exercising your rights brings.

Stand by for the Sh!#storm of nay-sayers on the forum.

They will whine. Just post your experiences.

MyWifeSaidYes

imported post

In Ohio, the definition of an automatic weapon has been updated to include a gun thatCAN hold MORE than 31 rounds of ammo.

A 40-round magazine in a rifle, or even a 33-round magazine in a Glock pistol, classifies those weapons as automatics. Even if both will only fire as semi-auto, and even if you load 31 rounds or less.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AaronG wrote:
Im getting an AR15 soon and was wondering about rifles also? i have not found a single topic on carrying a rifle here in ohio but i know that carrying a pistol (openly) is ok.
AaronG wrote:
well if its legal to do then im gonna do it. i dont care if people like it or not. if its legal to do then i will use my rights as much as i can.
AaronG wrote:
Why do you want to carry a loaded AR-15 in public?

poddus

imported post

Why do you want to carry a loaded  AR-15 in public?

Surely for no other reason than because it's legal. I thought our motto is "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost". Why would anyone carry a loaded pistol in public? Why would anyone ever say anything contrary to popular opinion? That's just nutty.

t33j

imported post

An unloaded weapon is almost useless as a self defense tool.

I'm assuming that your purpose for openly carrying a rifle is as a political statement. That's fine and it really needn't be loaded but that's not to say it can't be. I'd sure as hell have a loaded pistol like I do any other time.

poddus

imported post

AaronG wrote:
uhm i never said i wanted to carry a loaded ar in public.

however, as HankT already quoted, you've made it quite clear that you indeed want to carry a loaded AR15 in public. "nu uh" "ya huh" doesn't really work when the entire conversation is logged and indexed.