• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about picking up a AR 15, Is there any advice to look out for?

wally1120

imported post

I am debating on picking up AR 15 Parts, And piecing it together. I wish I had the money, I would buy a AR off of someone on the group, But the $$$$ is stopping me from doing it.

But is there any Good or Bad things that people could advise me of. I am looking at a DPMS Upper, Havent decided on the Barrel, Or the Lower I want yet. But is there anything wrong with certain Manufactures of the AR 15 Parts? Is there a Manufacture that you would recommend?

I am very unexperienced on the AR Platform, And would like to hear what AR lovers have to say about various pieces of Equipment for the AR.

Also wondering if the .223 can fire the 5.56, Or the 5.56 can fire the .223. I know that they aren`t both interchangable, But I know one of them are. It is like the 357 can shoot the 38 SPL, But cant` shoot the 357`s out of the 38 SPL. I just can`t remember what way it works for the 5.56 and the .223

Got to looking at the Parts forthe AR, How many parts do I needto buy to be ableto build the AR up? If someone could tell me the pieces oft he AR that I need that would be great, As far as I knew it was only a Lower Reciever, Upper Reciever, Barrel, Stock, And Possibly the Sights. But is there anything else that I will needto be able to build the AR?

viperar15

imported post

also look at the rockriver stuff :)

over last winter we changed my ar over to a rockriver floatingbarrel. VERY nice :) and shoots great too. though i think the rockriver stuff costs more then dpms.

with this setup, i could "almost" (it wouldn't get me expert scores or anything with ball though)shoot 200 and 300yd high power competitions with ball ammo...

wally1120

imported post

If I had a Upper for a .223, Would I be able to use that Upper for a 7.62x39? I know I would have to switch the Barrel, But could I use the same Upper, Lower as I would for the .223, For the 7.62?

joe_robi

imported post

dont waste your money just get an AK, unless you have a girlish figure then ya might wanna stick with the girly round. the ak has far better knock down power.
and yes you can use the saame upper and lower reciever for 762x39, just a different barrel and mag.

mudvr1212

imported post

If you were to buy one, get the 5.56. They can shoot the .223 but not other way around. That is due to pressure differences in the NATO and SAAMI standards.

To answer your question about the lower, here is the link to their website, so you can see what the kit actually would come with. The stripped lower...http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=286

wally1120

imported post

joe_robi wrote:
dont waste your money just get an AK, unless you have a girlish figure then ya might wanna stick with the girly round. the ak has far better knock down power.
and yes you can use the saame upper and lower reciever for 762x39, just a different barrel and mag.
I was looking at the Barrel`s for the AR, And I was seeing .223 REM, 7.62x39 , And my Favorite the .308 Win. And I want something I could change out when I want to. I also saw something about a 50 Beowolf for the AR, But that will be a little bit later down the road. And I am thinking I will need a different Upper for that round.

wally1120

imported post

Before I get into this really heavy, Do I have to buy the Charging Handle, And all ofthat other little BS for the Upper and Install it myself, Or is there a optin I can already buy it Assembled when I buy the Upper?

T Vance

imported post

My buddy bought an AR-15 kit through a magazine some years ago. The only part he had to go out and buy at a gun show was the lower reciever (I believe, might have been the upper. I forget) and he went with a Rockriver reciever. It is a nice setup, but it cost him like $1200-1300 when it was all said and done.

I agree with Joe about the AK. I'd like to have an AR too, but the price difference can be significant. Not too mention, AK's can eat up any kinds of ammo(they don't care if its cheap)where an AR can have some problems after shooting certain types of ammo. So you end up spending more on ammo for an AR just to shoot it.

AK's can take a beating too and keep on shooting. I've heard that AR's can get a little dirt in them and jam up.

wally1120

imported post

I already have a SKS, I may just get another one of them. But I was going to look at the Option of the AR Platform, ButI might just end up with another SKS. I dont think i like the AK`s that much, I couldn`t shoot the one you have that great T. But the SKS I have, Man that thing can rip a nice hole in a Bowling Pin with a few rounds at it.

office888

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Also wondering if the .223 can fire the 5.56, Or the 5.56 can fire the .223.

Got to looking at the Parts forthe AR, How many parts do I needto buy to be ableto build the AR up? If someone could tell me the pieces oft he AR that I need that would be great, As far as I knew it was only a Lower Reciever, Upper Reciever, Barrel, Stock, And Possibly the Sights. But is there anything else that I will needto be able to build the AR?
You can fire .223 out of a 5.56 chamber, but NOT 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

I like this company's uppers:
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver---DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

You need the following parts:
Lower Receiver
Parts Kit
Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring w/ Buffer Assembly
Stock
Upper receiver w/ all parts
Bolt Carrier Group
Barrel
Barrel Nut
Handguard
Front sight block

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE FOLLOWING PARTS:
Bolt Carrier Group
Barrel

They ARE the lifeblood of your rifle. Invest in a QUALITY bolt carrier group.

My advice : Get the DS Arms upper. Get a complete lower. Get a QUALITY BCG. Then buy a BUIS that you like. DSG (http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm) has a bunch of Magpul stuff on sale right now.

DO NOT BUY THE FOLLOWING YET:
Free floater
Lights / Lasers
Foregrips
Optics

Use your rifle with back up iron sights for a little while, and do some research and decide which direction you want to go with this rifle.

THEN buy your parts.

Join ar15.com too.

joe_robi wrote:
7.62x39 overpenetrates at close range, and leaves a tiny exit/entry hole. 5.56/223 explodes at close range, turning into a shitstorm of metal fragments inside your body. Most reports of hits in Vietnam at close range are one-shot stops.

My AR15:
magpulafg001-1.jpg

Full SHTF gear:
WROL001.jpg

-Richard-

T Vance

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
. I dont think i like the AK`s that much, I couldn`t shoot the one you have that great T.
The fact thatwe were shooting it from 100 yards at a bowling pin after I took the stock off probably didn't help.

Well, start saving up if you want an AR-15. I want to get one one day, but I think I'm going for the Bushmaster ACR. They are a little pricer, but having the option of shooting different types of ammo is a nice added feature.

office888

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I agree with Joe about the AK. I'd like to have an AR too, but the price difference can be significant. Not too mention, AK's can eat up any kinds of ammo(they don't care if its cheap)where an AR can have some problems after shooting certain types of ammo. So you end up spending more on ammo for an AR just to shoot it.

AK's can take a beating too and keep on shooting. I've heard that AR's can get a little dirt in them and jam up.
My Franken-AR15 eats Wolf Steel-Case with no problems.

Actually, the AR doesn't do too bad in the dirt. It main problems, are when they're ran "dry". The entire BCG needs to be "wet" with lubricant. 1000 rds without cleaning isn't a problem, as long as you wet the bolt down every 500 rds or so.

Mind you, the AK with the safety off, has a HUUUGGEE opening into the receiver. If you got some sand or tiny rocks in there, your trigger WILL stop working. The AR15 however, does not. There are VERY few openings.

-Richard-

office888

imported post

T Vance wrote:
That's a nice AR setup Richard!
Thanks!

It's a lot of work-in-progress stuff. Still finding out what works, and what doesn't.

I'm ordering my optics (Eotech 511.A65) next week, so stay tuned for that. :D

Also switching to a YHM Smooth Carbine Forearm w/ Bottom rail (no top rail).

-Richard-

wally1120

imported post

I just took a look at a price range for the AR I want configured, It is going to be atleast 900 Bucks. I am going to ditch the idea ofthe AR now, I will go with something a little bit cheaper. If I am going to spend almost a grand for a Gun, I am going to in fact get a Grand M1 out of it:lol::celebrate.

Also looked at that SMG, That is pretty slick. I would have to consider one of them, If they weren`t to expensive. But I am a little disappointed it is only a 9x19, They need to make one in the bigger brother 45 AUTO.

office888

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I just took a look at a price range for the AR I want configured, It is going to be atleast 900 Bucks. I am going to ditch the idea ofthe AR now, I will go with something a little bit cheaper. If I am going to spend almost a grand for a Gun, I am going to in fact get a Grand M1 out of it:lol::celebrate.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=161&

$599.95 fully assembled AR15.

It'll get you started at least. All you need is a BUIS of your choice. My Matech BUIS was $40 on ebay.

-Richard-