• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Responsible Gun Control"

EM87

imported post

I have a pro-gun friend who seems to think that there is such a thing as responsible gun control. I debated this with him, but poorly.

His example was a one day waiting period for the purchasing of a firearm. He said that the only thing a one day waiting period would do would cut out the firearm purchases where people buy a gun in a rage when they find out their wife is cheating on them or something, as rare as that may be. It would only be a minor inconvenience for everyone. I told him that I did not agree with any waiting period at all, but I couldn't come up with any good reasons for there not to be one if it would save a few lives. It seems sensible, but I hate the idea.

Thoughts?

office888

imported post

Waiting periods do not work.

If someone is THAT dedicated towards murder, they're either going to use a different weapon, get the gun illegally (steal it), or they're going to wait the time period.

Waiting periods are up there with "ONE GUN A MONTH" laws, for stupid gun laws that don't work.

Responsible gun control is education, not regulation.

-Richard-

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only real responsible gun control results in tight bullet placement groupings.

Works every time.

OK, seriously.

There isn't one single gun control law that has fullfilled it's intended purpose. Best example, Look at all the mass shootings that have ocurred in "Gun Free Zones."

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Double Tap Center Mass! could be considered Good Gun Control

Waiting periods restrict Law Biding people!

Scenario:

Angry Husband goes to buy a firearm, He completes the paperwork clerk tells him there is a 24 hour waiting period. Husband returns home. That night in a fit of drunken rage he calls the wife says to her "I'm gonna kill you just wait and see"! Next day Wife goes down to get a PPO, then a Firearm. Completes all the paperwork. The clerk tells her there is a 24 hr. waiting period. She returns home, Later that night she hears a noise in the garage as she goes to look the husbands in there with his gun. Before she can call the police he shoots her in the back and kills her. Voila! There you have your responsible Gun control!

Bottom Line in replying to any one with a misguided notion of any form of Gun Control is that CRIMINALS DON'T ABIDE BY THE LAW!

G

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:

Scenario:

Angry Husband goes to buy a firearm, He completes the paperwork clerk tells him there is a 24 hour waiting period. Husband returns home. That night in a fit of drunken rage he calls the wife says to her "I'm gonna kill you just wait and see"! Next day Wife goes down to get a PPO, then a Firearm. Completes all the paperwork. The clerk tells her there is a 24 hr. waiting period. She returns home, Later that night she hears a noise in the garage as she goes to look the husbands in there with his gun. She grabs her PPO and holds it up in front of her and then tells him she's calling the police. 911 tells her not to worry because she has a PPO and the police are coming. She tells her husband that he can't kill her because she has a PPO and the police are coming. Voila! There you have your responsible Gun control!

Bottom Line in replying to any one with a misguided notion of any form of Gun Control is that CRIMINALS DON'T ABIDE BY THE LAW!
I fixed it for you.:banghead:

conservative85

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

Scenario:

Angry Husband goes to buy a firearm, He completes the paperwork clerk tells him there is a 24 hour waiting period. Husband returns home. That night in a fit of drunken rage he calls the wife says to her "I'm gonna kill you just wait and see"! Next day Wife goes down to get a PPO, then a Firearm. Completes all the paperwork. The clerk tells her there is a 24 hr. waiting period. She returns home, Later that night she hears a noise in the garage as she goes to look the husbands in there with his gun. She grabs her PPO and holds it up in front of her and then tells him she's calling the police. 911 tells her not to worry because she has a PPO and the police are coming. She tells her husband that he can't kill her because she has a PPO and the police are coming. Voila! There you have your responsible Gun control!

I fixed it for you.:banghead:
I love how people think that a Law or A piece of paper will make it totally, or physically impossible for anything to happen. Like there is a law against robbing banks...Therefore banks will no longer get robbed. Fools!

ghostrider

imported post

Massad Ayoob has some great insight on this topic. He worded it better than I.

What about the argument that people die in domestic arguments because a gun is within reach of an angry person?

Certainly, those with uncontrollably violent tendencies should not own guns. When asked this question, I always respond with a question: “Could you pick up a gun and kill someone you love because they angered you?”

If the answer is No, I reply, “Then how dare you imply that I, and everyone else, would be that unstable?” If the answer is Yes, I suggest they stop attempting to counsel well-adjusted people and immediately seek psychiatric counseling for their own self-admitted tendency toward acting out impulses of uncontrollable violence.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob45a.html

Michigander

imported post

There IS such a thing as responsible gun control, specifically punishing criminals. It has nothing to do with impeding the actions of good people. Government interference with good people is tyranny, and should not be confused with anything responsible.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
There IS such a thing as responsible gun control, specifically punishing criminals. It has nothing to do with impeding the actions of good people. Government interference with good people is tyranny, and should not be confused with anything responsible.
And here I thought it meant controling your gun for a better shot.

iheartglock

imported post

haha awesome.

that waiting period really wouldnt work, especially here in MI where any person can take a ride to detroit and purchase a gun ILLEGALLY from a criminal.

G

imported post

There is no such thing as "responsible" gun control. All gun control seeks to disarm whatever portion of the citizenry the government wants to control at that particular time. In fact all gun control is racist and elitist in nature. The laws banning "saturday night specials" disarmed a whole segment of our society... the poor. And HUD laws banning firearms in subsidized housing also disarms the poor. And what segment of our society is the poorest? Pistol purchase permits were enacted to deprive blacks. Gun laws against possesion of firearms in southern states at demonstrations and funerals were enacted to disarm blacks so that the KKK could attack blacks at those events without fear. "Going about armed to the terror of the public" is another ambiguous law aimed at disarming blacks. The list goes on and on.

Radioman

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
There is no such thing as "responsible" gun control.
Pat, I have to disagree with you on this one to a point. There is responsible gun control and it must be enforced at all times. I truely do not like disagreeing on this topic but it is a must.

As responsible gun owners we must control our guns, know where all of our rounds end up and ensure that our guns do not fall into the wrong hands. This is Responsible Gun Control and it is the ONLY Responsible Gun Control.

On the rest of what you say Pat I agree and that is unreasonable gun control.

Radioman

G

imported post

Radioman wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Pat, I have to disagree with you on this one to a point. There is responsible gun control and it must be enforced at all times. I truely do not like disagreeing on this topic but it is a must.

As responsible gun owners we must control our guns, know where all of our rounds end up and ensure that our guns do not fall into the wrong hands. This is Responsible Gun Control and it is the ONLY Responsible Gun Control.

Radioman
What I was referring to was legislative gun control. Your point, I believe, is more about responsible gun ownership.

Maybe we could start a group, a coalition so to speak, of responsible gun owners here in Michigan, that could work towards changing legislation that impacted our ownership of guns.

If we started such a group, what could we call it?:uhoh:

Or we could start a group of gunowners here in Michigan that does nothing more than pat their own backs and snipe at a segment of gunowners, to no end. Now what would be a catchy name for that group?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Radioman wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

Radioman
What I was referring to was legislative gun control. Your point, I believe, is more about responsible gun ownership.

Maybe we could start a group, a coalition so to speak, of responsible gun owners here in Michigan, that could work towards changing legislation that impacted our ownership of guns.

Or we could start a group of gunowners here in Michigan that does nothing more than pat their own backs and snipe at a segment of gunowners, to no end. Now what would be a catchy name for that group?
Oh...oh....pick me I know...I know.... pick me I know:celebrate

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP

MNOPAWS

Acronym Pronunciation: Menopause

Michigan Narcissistic Owners of Pistols and Assault Weapons Society

ghostrider

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Radioman wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

Radioman

Ouch!