• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Wal Mart Story

neuroblades

imported post

I went into my local Wal Martabout 3:15pm today. I had to stop in to make a "pitstop" and to pick up a few things before heading out. I entered the store without any problems or issues and headed for the restroom. Upon leaving the restroom and heading into the store proper I noticed the door greeter eyeing me, this is something that I've come to expect from people who aren't seemingly familiar with the right to OC. I don't take it as a bad thing but a chance to help educate another Kentuckian about their 2nd Amendment right. As I got closer to him, I could tell that he wanted to talk to me when he montionedme over.

As I approached him, he asked, "Are you a policeman or with the sheriff's office"? I told him I wasn't and asked why. He then asked, "Do you have a license to carry that"? Politely but authoritively, I explained to him that under Ky. law, a license is NOT required to openly carry a sidearm, a license is ONLY required when carrying a sidearm concealed. He was very polite and asked if I would wait there while he verified this with his superior.

Being that any chance to convey a positive public POV on open carry, is a chance not wasted, I told him it was fine and that he was just acting accordingly being that he had no idea and was honest about it with me.

After radioing for a manager, it took about 4 minutes for one to get to the front door, where we were. While waiting, I overheard their radio chatter about "a man with a holstered gun on a belt", the chatter was semi-frantic but not in the sense of a frightened tone. Mostof the radios that this Wal-Mart employs are equipped with an earpiece so I'm figuring that most of the customers were not aware of this unneeded excitment. The responding manager was a CSM and she was quite jovial and pleasant. I explained the situation to her so as to speed up this process as the door greeter was slightly hard of hearing. She informed me that "Wal Mart really didn't like for anyone but police and law enforcement to be in the store carrying a gun". I then, politely and authoritively, explained that while I respected that POV, that Ky. state law granted the freedom to openly carry legally WITHOUT need for a license. Additionally I informed her in a polite tone that Wal Mart's corporate office had even said that they followed the laws of the states in which they operated, meaning that they allowed OC in their stores where it was legal to OC. After this, she told me, "Oh yes sir, I know, we can't tell you that you can't come in. It's just that it might upset customers". At this point the exchange had reached a close and I thanked the door greeter and the responding CSM for being very professional and polite about the whole issue. They smiled, I smiled, and I continued on in.

OK, now as they say, hear's the rest of the story! *LOL* I have some friends that work in this particular Wal-Mart, I will not mention any names due to their positions. I was informed by one of them that mine was NOT The ONLY "gun" call across their radios that day. Apparently there was another individual in the store today that was open carrying as well. I have no idea what the outcome of that encounter was though.

So, the moral of this story? Being polite, knowledgeable, & direct can not only resolve misunderstandings but can aid in educating others to their rights as well as yours. This statement comes from the fact that as I was leaving Wal Mart, I happened to see the same door greeter and I stopped and thanked him for being polite and curious about the issue. He thanked me as well for being understanding and patient with them and then he told me that he had never known that a person could legally open carry a sidearm till that day. We shook hands and away I went.

langzaiguy

imported post

Wow! Glad it went so well. You handled the situation very rationally. So when you say, "along I went" was that to shop or to leave?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

neuroblades wrote:
So, the moral of this story? Being polite, knowledgeable, & direct can not only resolve misunderstandings but can aid in educating others to their rights as well as yours. This statement comes from the fact that as I was leaving Wal Mart, I happened to see the same door greeter and I stopped and thanked him for being polite and curious about the issue. He thanked me as well for being understanding and patient with them and then he told me that he had never known that a person could legally open carry a sidearm till today. We shook hands and away I went.
Well done!

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I was glad to read that the situation was resolved without incident. Any time guns are involved, there is a potential for violence that almost always escalates to senseless killing, so we really dodged a bullet on that one. We were lucky... this time. :quirky

I continue to find that when people don't know the rules, and even when they think they know the rules and they're wrong, they take their clues from the behavior of others. If we become hostile or act weird, flaky, guilty or dangerous... that's how we'll be treated. Most of the time, if we act calm and rational, that's how we'll be treated, and those can be teachable moments. When I open carry, it's because I'm trying to educate the public and make a positive impression.

Well done, sir!

neuroblades

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Wow! Glad it went so well. You handled the situation very rationally. So when you say, "along I went" was that to shop or to leave?
After the discussion with the CSM, I went about my busy and shopped and talked with a few of the friends that work there. At the end, when I saw the same door greeter at the door, and he told me that he had never known that , that was as I was leaving.

neuroblades

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
I was glad to read that the situation was resolved without incident. Any time guns are involved, there is a potential for violence that almost always escalates to senseless killing, so we really dodged a bullet on that one. We were lucky... this time. :quirky

I continue to find that when people don't know the rules, and even when they think they know the rules and they're wrong, they take their clues from the behavior of others. If we become hostile or act weird, flaky, guilty or dangerous... that's how we'll be treated. Most of the time, if we act calm and rational, that's how we'll be treated, and those can be teachable moments. When I open carry, it's because I'm trying to educate the public and make a positive impression.

Well done, sir!

Well, this was nowhere near that bad of a situation Liberty. It was a rather simple straight forward encounter between the door greeter, a CSM, and myself. Though from the radio chatter, it sounded excited, it was calm, clear and direct. I did tell her from the start that I wasn't looking to cause a stir, just coming in to shop. The attitude that I presented was one of directness but polite and understanding, I try to see things from the other persons POV as well as my own. As the encounter came to a close, I thanked both the door greeter and the CSM for being polite about things and briefly explained that as well as carrying for safety, I openly carried to aid in educating the general public about the right to legally openly carry.

I got more flak from my elderly Dad when I got home than I did from the 2 Wal Mart employees. *LOL*

Liberty4Ever

imported post

My first paragraph was a joke... a parody on the typical anti-gun hysteria.

A brief synopsis of my original post would be: You done good! Big win for Open Carry. Thanks!

neuroblades

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
My first paragraph was a joke... a parody on the typical anti-gun hysteria.

A brief synopsis of my original post would be: You done good! Big win for Open Carry. Thanks!
Oh OK. *LOL* Had me kind of concerned there. *LOL* Good show! I shall stop by the booth in Feb. at the gunshow. This time I shall introduce myself.

neuroblades

imported post

JohnKelly wrote:
At which Wal-Mart did this occur, if I may ask?

This happened at the Wal Mart in Paintsville, Ky. It's on the eastern side of the state if you're not familiar with the city.

I've taken some major flak from family over this and while the fact that they are so whipped down into believing that I was in the wrong and non-supportive of me, I'll NOT be laying my "gun" down anytime soon, figuritively. *LOL* But I'll be cooling my heels for a few days. *LOL*

Thank you to all that have complimented me on my handling of this encounter. It's good to know that there are others like myself that are trying to educate others that might not know.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
I shall stop by the booth in Feb. at the gunshow. This time I shall introduce myself.
I look forward to meeting you at the next gun show. I'll be at the February 13-14 show in Lexington. I'll be the guy with the .50 BMG and the "got ammo?" hat. :cool:

It sounds like you need to educate your family about open carry, our rights, liberty, etc. Our families are often the hardest to reach.

Thanks again for being that positive example that influences public opinion in favor of the right to keep and bear arms.

BTW - In western Kentucky, if you forget your pistol when you go to a Wal*Mart, the greeter will give you a loaner pistol. :p

hotrod

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
JohnKelly wrote:

This happened at the Wal Mart in Paintsville, Ky. It's on the eastern side of the state if you're not familiar with the city.

I've taken some major flak from family over this and while the fact that they are so whipped down into believing that I was in the wrong and non-supportive of me, I'll NOT be laying my "gun" down anytime soon, figuritively. *LOL* But I'll be cooling my heels for a few days. *LOL*

Thank you to all that have complimented me on my handling of this encounter. It's good to know that there are others like myself that are trying to educate others that might not know.
Is there anyone in Paintsville that doesn't carry?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The thing about this encounter is that you didn't just educate the store employees, but you may have impressed other shoppers that saw or over heard you, at least in part, conversing with them.

There is always collateral effect to these encounters. We should always make the best of it.

You done good, sir.:D

neuroblades

imported post

hotrod wrote:
neuroblades wrote:
JohnKelly wrote:

Is there anyone in Paintsville that doesn't carry?

Well, sadly it's not a common sight over here, yet. People don't understand their rights as Kentuckians and to OC, isn't seen much around here.

I haven't seen anyone else OC'ing since I started here. Flying solo has never been my thing but knowing that the law is legally on our side, does help.

Thank you ALL for the kind words of encouragement and reinforcement. I just wish that there were more individuals on this side of the state willing to take a stand for their rights and open carrying. Maybe in time the message will get out there and there will be more of us. ;)

Unfettered Might

imported post

Keep up the good work. You come across as a very rational thinker and you sound like you have prepared yourself with the information needed to stand firm on your convictions, as such you are a welcome front line OC proponent in my eyes.

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

Well, I'm kinda in the same situation here in Lawrenceburg. I never see anyone OCing here, and I'm the only one getting "watched." I've had some encounters in our local walmart with the cashiers, but no greeter as of yet.... Not to say it aint coming. I had an encounter with the local chineese place yesterday, but de-escalated it by informing them that every Kentuckian over 18 should have a weapon on their side. It ended good.
But the reason I posted.... Paintsville, only about 3 hours away from me... I got nothing to do, anyone want to go shopping at the walmart?

KL

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

The problem in Eastern Ky is that most of them have been brainwashed by the media and our leaders. Most of the older folks especially were union coal workers and see all conservatives as union busters out to make them even more poor. I know cuz my grandfather and I were at odds over this til the day he died, he almost disowned me when i found out i was a registered republican.

Most of them believe it is ok to open carry on private property and that is where it ends.

I open carry regularly when in Knott and Perry counties.

neuroblades

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
neuroblades wrote:
I shall stop by the booth in Feb. at the gunshow. This time I shall introduce myself.
I look forward to meeting you at the next gun show. I'll be at the February 13-14 show in Lexington. I'll be the guy with the .50 BMG and the "got ammo?" hat. :cool:

It sounds like you need to educate your family about open carry, our rights, liberty, etc. Our families are often the hardest to reach.

Thanks again for being that positive example that influences public opinion in favor of the right to keep and bear arms.

BTW - In western Kentucky, if you forget your pistol when you go to a Wal*Mart, the greeter will give you a loaner pistol. :p
It was great to meet you at the gunshow in Lexington. :)

Liberty4Ever

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
It was great to meet you at the gun show in Lexington. :)
Right back atcha, pal!

I'm sorry it was so busy that we didn't have more of a chance to chat. I was hoping you'd double back after looking at all the guns and stuff. How long could that take? The show didn't even have the Jerky Hut this time. :)

Even if your immediate family isn't very supportive of your open carry lifestyle, your extended family at OpenCarry.org will validate your behavior.