• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife is wanting to go to a local park in the morning.

Crypto

imported post

Sportsman show is coming up at the puyallup fair here in a week.

I think it is on the 26th is when it starts?

Washington Sportsmen's Show Dates:

January 27, 2010 - January 31, 2010

Location Puyallup Fair & Events Center

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
At the November WAC show, one of the senior patrolmen from PPD came up to my table and asked a LOT of questions about OC and the law. He went away with copies of training bulletins, OCDO flyers, case law from federal and state, and a promise to take it to the dept training officer to try to get a training bulletin issued.

I will inquire next show to find out where we and they stand on it.
And at the January WAC show we chatted for 15 minutes or so with a new (like 21 years old) PPD and he was pro OC! He said something like...I wish more people would do it....

Crypto

imported post

I just found the Local Pierce County Park law:

Chapter 14.08
- PARK CODE

14.08.060 Prohibited Activities.

H. Possess, discharge, set off or cause to be discharged in or into any park, any firecracker, torpedo, rocket, firework, explosive or other substance harmful to the life or safety of persons or property. Legal fireworks as part of a permitted function which are licensed and in compliance with State regulations may be discharged in a manner meeting all safety requirements if authorized by the Director or designee and if handled by a licensed professional;

I. Possess a firearm with a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, or discharge across, in or into any park a firearm, air or gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any public or private property;

I live on the outskirts of "Puyallup City Limits" which is called Pierce County. So, This local code more applies to me and my family when we go to the park. But it is more restrictive then the state law. So, the (RCW) 9.41.290 preemption law will supersede this. Once again like the Puyallup local code.

j2l3

imported post

Crypto wrote:
I just found the Local Pierce County Park law:

Chapter 14.08
- PARK CODE

14.08.060 Prohibited Activities.

H. Possess, discharge, set off or cause to be discharged in or into any park, any firecracker, torpedo, rocket, firework, explosive or other substance harmful to the life or safety of persons or property. Legal fireworks as part of a permitted function which are licensed and in compliance with State regulations may be discharged in a manner meeting all safety requirements if authorized by the Director or designee and if handled by a licensed professional;

I. Possess a firearm with a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, or discharge across, in or into any park a firearm, air or gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any public or private property;

I live on the outskirts of "Puyallup City Limits" which is called Pierce County. So, This local code more applies to me and my family when we go to the park. But it is more restrictive then the state law. So, the preemption law will supersede this. Once again like the Puyallup local code.
Yes, the part of section "I" concerning possession is preempted and repealed. It is invalid, though will not prevent an officer from trying to enforce it.

Crypto

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Yes, the part of section "I" concerning possession is preempted and repealed. It is invalid, though will not prevent an officer from trying to enforce it.

What are you suppose to say to a LEO. If he does try to enforce the local code? I've always wondered this the last few nights I've been studying.

j2l3

imported post

Crypto wrote:
j2l3 wrote:

What are you suppose to say to a LEO. If he does try to enforce the local code? I've always wondered this the last few nights I've been studying.

You are not likely to educate an officer on the scene. If you want to try, have a copy of the pertinent RCW with you so he can see it for himself.

Better to work with the administration in the police department and with the city council to change the way things are written and enforced.

Crypto

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
You are not likely to educate an officer on the scene. If you want to try, have a copy of the pertinent RCW with you so he can see it for himself.

Better to work with the administration in the police department and with the city council to change the way things are written and enforced.
So, what do I do. Just get arrested and taken in. What if I dont have alot of money for a lawyer?

Sounds like its just better not to open carry to me. Then to be arrested.

j2l3

imported post

Crypto wrote:
So, what do I do. Just get arrested and taken in. What if I dont have alot of money for a lawyer?

I can't tell you what to do... not really qualified. However, any decent public defender whould be able to get a charge based on that city code thrown out, based on the RCW.

The problem is, the arrest and hassle. Puyallup counts on people being afraid to challenge them.

That's why working on the political solution first is best. In "most" cities in Washington, this has worked. Puyallup has been resistant. When Seattle loses thier bid to control firearms, Puyallup will be easier to work with, because they will know the courts will not side with them.

Crypto

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
No, it hasn't been tested with Puyallup yet in court.

So, if i was to open carry or conceal carry and someone seen the print and a LEO comes to the scence. You are basically Saying,

I am challenging you officer to what your knowledge is on the law. LMAO jesus..

sounds like i should just stay home.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Crypto wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
No, it hasn't been tested with Puyallup yet in court.

So, if i was to open carry or conceal carry and someone seen the print and a LEO comes to the scence. You are basically Saying,

I am challenging you officer to what your knowledge is on the law. LMAO jesus..

sounds like i should just stay home.

Crypto,

Watch this and understand how to encounter LEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Trigger Dr

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
thats GREAT news trigger doc, It still dosnt make right what they did to me....

No, Mark, and it probably never will, but you will be helping all of us that follow. Be a good Marine and lead my friend.

Doc (the fmf corpsman)

Trigger Dr

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
thats GREAT news trigger doc, It still dosnt make right what they did to me....

No, Mark, and it probably never will, but you will be helping all of us that follow. Be a good Marine and lead my friend.

Doc (the fmf corpsman)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Carry anyway. If you get hassled hold your ground stick by your rights, Politely and respectfully. Every encounter were we stay in the right, makes it easier for the next person to carry.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Carry anyway. If you get hassled hold your ground stick by your rights, Politely and respectfully. Every encounter were we stay in the right, makes it easier for the next person to carry.
Absolutely, positively correct! And you ask the officer, respectfully, to have a supervisor come to the scene and ask them also to bring a copy of Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290 with them. Hopefully, the supervisor will either show up and set things straight, or take care of it over the radio and tell the beat cop to go away.
This should always be an OCers method of dealing with LEO. Ask for the Seargant or Captain. Once you do I believe they are obligated to do so.