• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some terms clarified!

Crypto

imported post

I would like to know the definition of an :

- Ordinance
- Municipal Code

I used Google but they have so many different answers and definitions I'm confused.

Can someone clarify each for me?

I would like to know the process steps they take.

Like is it a ordinance before a municipal code or the other way around.
Or is it I'm not even in the right ballpark?

kito109654

imported post

Amateur taking a stab at it here...there are lawyers on the board who would probably know better. At least I hope they would. :p

As I understand it in Wa, a "code" is what the state calls a law that has been enacted and if broken is a violation of the authority of the state.Although I'm not happy with that exact wording.

An ordinance is the same on the city level.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They are basically different names for the same thing. Cities, towns, counties, etc. are all municipalities. Some call their local laws 'ordinances', some call them 'codes'.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Crypto wrote:
I would like to know the definition of an :

- Ordinance
- Municipal Code
An ordinance is like a statute of a locality, enacted by the city or county council.

A statute is an enactment of a state or federal legislature.

A Munipal code is an assemblage of ordiances just like the US code is an assemblage of federal statutes - such a code might include local regulations or it might not - thiose may or may bnot be codified elsewhere.

Statutes and ordinances at large need not be codified to be in force, and they prevail over the code if there is a conflct.

Regulations issued by duly authorized federal, state, and local bodies are also "law."

A great myth out there is that a regulation on the same subject of a statute is ALWAYS void if it conflicts with the statute - not true. Though it is true that a regulation is void if it it explicilty barred by statute or if the issuing agency exceeded it statutory authority in issuing the regulation.

The legal fiction in our law is that everyone takes notice of laws as they are enacted and before traveling to new jurisdictions, checking their local law library periodically, etc., such that igniorance is no excuse of the law.

However the law allowsdefenses of mistake of fact and mistake of law to criminal charges.

A mistake of fact defensemight work for example in a shoplifting case where the Defendant contends that she placed all the items on the purchase counter for purchase and believed that she paid for them before leaving the store.

A mistake of law dffense might work where the Defendant explicitly relied on a source of law, e.g., court or AG opinion, before engaging in certain conduct later found to be unlawful anyway.

This is all pretty much common sense when you think about it.