• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fight 6396

Tomas

imported post

I do have a HiPoint 995 9mm carbine, but for self defense at close range (especially inside where the "swing room" is often limited) I greatly prefer one of my pistols.

As to "over penetration," I do take that into consideration. That is why the magazine in my primary carry pistol is full of Glaser Blue, while the backup magazine is FMJ.

My "logic" in that is that one mag of Glasers, that won't penetrate sheetrock (I live in an apartment complex), SHOULD take care of any "immediate" problem, but if the "bad guy" takes cover and is still a threat I can ram in the second magazine and have a chance of penetrating his cover if necessary.

My BUG is loaded with good JHPs as being probably the best choice for handshake distance with a .32 auto.

(The HiPoint carbine is just for fun, and to keep my hand in with a long gun.)

My brother-in-law used to drag a .44 mag pistol around with him (yeah, he was a pretty good sized guy), and I think his usual handloads might "one-shot-stop" a Kenworth. IMHO that was absolutely the wrong choice all the way around, as the penetration of a miss (or even a hit!) with that monster was fearful. He could easily shoot through several walls and still have lethal force left.

I eventually convinced him to back down to something more reasonable (a 1911 with "flying ashtray" Hydra-Shok hollow points).

Thing is, I've seen a lot of folks carrying WAY too powerful a choice of round with apparently no thought at all to where that bullet is eventually going to finally come to rest...

(When I was military, though, it was different - I wanted as much firepower and as much penetration as I could carry...)

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Tomas wrote:
As to "over penetration," I do take that into consideration. That is why the magazine in my primary carry pistol is full of Glaser Blue, while the backup magazine is FMJ.

I should buy some Glaser Blue and check them out. I am always concerned in the house about the loadsI use in the house in my shotgun (15 pellet low recoil)and the ammunition I use in my carry (9mm).

I would rather use my handgun in the house and the same handgun when I am out and about....my handgun is is next me to 24/7, just like my partner.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Tomas wrote:
My brother-in-law used to drag a .44 mag pistol around with him (yeah, he was a pretty good sized guy), and I think his usual handloads might "one-shot-stop" a Kenworth. IMHO that was absolutely the wrong choice all the way around, as the penetration of a miss (or even a hit!) with that monster was fearful. He could easily shoot through several walls and still have lethal force left.

I eventually convinced him to back down to something more reasonable (a 1911 with "flying ashtray" Hydra-Shok hollow points).

On the other hand, he can shoot through cover, and with careful bullet selection, have a very safe load. Safe as in near zero chance of Ricochet, not safe to perp.