• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to carry with a CPL...

Smithc11369

imported post

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how i'm going to carry when I have my license because the laws aren't exactly cut and dry about how you are able to carry, at least not from what I have read. Basically, I just want to know if I can carry like a police officer. I am going to have my CPL soon and I've been looking at guns and holsters and instead of getting a holster for open carry and a holster for concealed carry, I just want to carry my pistol on my side in a side holster (just like a cop) to keep the confusion level down. Can I carry like that and if I can what are the limitations (I understand PFZs so other than that). Like can I carry on my side without it being covered and have it still be ok if my jacket covers it up sometimes? I know this is a pretty basic question but just so I have it in text, I wanted to ask it and see what you guys thought. Thanks

Chad

T Vance

imported post

Smithc11369 wrote:
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how i'm going to carry when I have my license because the laws aren't exactly cut and dry about how you are able to carry, at least not from what I have read. If you have your CPL, you can carry your handgun concealed OR openly. Basically, I just want to know if I can carry like a police officer.I am going to have my CPL soon and I've been looking at guns and holsters and instead of getting a holster for open carry and a holster for concealed carry, I just want to carry my pistol on my side in a side holster (just like a cop) to keep the confusion level down. Do you man an Outer Waist Band Holster? Yes, you can carry it like a cop (open carry) with or without a CPL. Can I carry like that and if I can what are the limitations (I understand PFZs so other than that If you have your CPL and you OC (open carry) you can actually carry into most places that are off limits to carrying concealed with a CPL. Like can I carry on my side without it being covered and have it still be ok if my jacket covers it up sometimes? Yes, with a CPL this is OK.I know this is a pretty basic question but just so I have it in text, I wanted to ask it and see what you guys thought. Thanks

Chad

jmlefler

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Smithc11369 wrote:
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how i'm going to carry when I have my license because the laws aren't exactly cut and dry about how you are able to carry, at least not from what I have read. If you have your CPL, you can carry your handgun concealed OR openly. Basically, I just want to know if I can carry like a police officer.I am going to have my CPL soon and I've been looking at guns and holsters and instead of getting a holster for open carry and a holster for concealed carry, I just want to carry my pistol on my side in a side holster (just like a cop) to keep the confusion level down. Do you man an Outer Waist Band Holster? Yes, you can carry it like a cop (open carry) with or without a CPL. Can I carry like that and if I can what are the limitations (I understand PFZs so other than that If you have your CPL and you OC (open carry) you can actually carry into most places that are off limits to carrying concealed with a CPL. Like can I carry on my side without it being covered and have it still be ok if my jacket covers it up sometimes? Yes, with a CPL this is OK.I know this is a pretty basic question but just so I have it in text, I wanted to ask it and see what you guys thought. Thanks

Chad
You raise a good point: you are much better off, from a 'where can I carry' standpoint, to carry OC everywhere with your CPL. Since there are facilities where you must carry openly with a CPL, there is never any doubt as to the legality.

Just another answer to 'why do you OC?'

Carry on

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I carry everywhere with my
cpl and I carry it open and in a shoulder holster.

more people notice it there, and it makes for more interesting conversation in helping to educate the public in oc being completely legal.