Thread: CZ-82, issue with the safety

Post imported post

I had two questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

I received my CZ-82 the other day, and I took it to the range for the first time today. After three rounds were fired, I thought I was having a feeding problem, I couldn't pull the trigger. I released the mag, ejected the round (which was seated properly, I saw) and looked at it.

I couldn't see anything wrong. So I reloaded a prepped mag, and chambered a round. After two more shots, the same thing. I looked closely, and saw the safety lever had moved up an incremental amount. I'm not sure if it is being bumped by my hand from the recoil, or if it's just a bit loose.

I found, that I needed to hold the safety lever down with my trigger-side thumb, to be sure it won't creep up. I'm kind of okay with this right now, but if I ever wanted to carry it, I would want to be sure this wouldn't happen. Is there something I can do to tighten up the lever, or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?

My other question, is that my shots were grouping a bit low when I was using the sights, but if I drew and intuitively pointed the pistol, then I was at least hitting black, and mostly in the 9-10 ring at 15 feet or so. I'm new to pistol shooting, so I'm more than willing to take the blame (incorrect sight alignment maybe...). Any thoughts? I'm using the Wolf 9mm Mak (not the highest quality). And I have the Winchester stuff for if I decided to carry it, after I build some confidence and skill.

Thanks all!

Post imported post

The CZ82 SHOULD handle any brand of ammo.....not a problem.

Low grouping shots could be from your sight picture,or could be corrected by alittle filing on front sight. It's basically a close range weapon. Practice.

NOW.....my safeties are a little hard to engage, yours could be loose. I suspect you could be limp wristing...ie...not holding the pistol with stiff wrists allowing it to roll. This can cause the thumb to force the safety up and halt firing.

Try some more shooting, but be conscious of your grip.If it continues to fail...then see a smith to fix it.

Mainly, get used to this little powerhouse and I think you'll be relieved. ALSO.....when you look down the barrel......you will NOT see lands and grooves. The CZ82 has polygonal barreling.....looks smoothebore.Enjoy your CZ.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Since CZ 82's are old C&R firearms yours may have more wear then others, or it needs a good thorough cleaning. Like MrMitch's CZ my safetyis a bit stiff also. But, then, I rearely flip it on either. I carry mine hammer down and safety off. I like this pistol for its simplicity of use. Very accurate as well.

I use the Wolf ammo all the time for target practice. Yes, it's dirty, but I've never had a problem with it in my CZ. Using it in my M1 Carbine was another matter all together. After about 40 rounds of that stuff the slide got so gunked that it wouldn't cycle right.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Have a smith who's familiar with that model check out the safety - should be able to tighten things up.

Before you adjust/modify the sights -
    Hitting low on the target could be anticipating recoil, guessing that you might be "pushing." Have a trained observer watch you. Practice dry firing with a penny balanced on the front end of the slide.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I just bought a CZ82 this past weekend at a gun show here in Hampton, VA. I took it to the range last night and put a few mags through it andan S&W Sigma .40 I bought for my wife. After reading this thread yesterday, I paid particular attention to the safety while I was firing and it never budged. The only problem I did have was a couple of FTFs when I used Brown Bear Hollow Points...Wolf FMJ fed flawlessly, though. I took it apart when I got home and polished the feed ramp while I was cleaning it. I'll test it out again this weekend at the range.

Post imported post

Fully_armed, you may already know this, but being a bit 'old-school' the CZ-82 was designed to feed ball ammo, hollowpoints not so much. Doesn't mean that a little judicious polishing won't correct that of course.

My dad has one and after just a little break-in period it feeds any 9x18 he wants to load it with.

Post imported post

Brian D. wrote:
    Fully_armed, you may already know this, but being a bit 'old-school' the CZ-82 was designed to feed ball ammo, hollowpoints not so much. Doesn't mean that a little judicious polishing won't correct that of course.

My dad has one and after just a little break-in period it feeds any 9x18 he wants to load it with.
    Oh yeah...I know that. That's why I wanted to get it on the range before I started carrying it. I'd rather find out there that it's going to take some work to feed the ammo I want to put through it, than when I need it! The steel cased ammo doesn't help much either...brass cased ammo is a little more forgiving than the steel cased. I sure wish Hornady would hurry up and get their 9X18 XTP production up to speed...it's been on backorder for months!