• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia considers repealing last radar detector ban in America, pleases gun owners

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please SUBSCRIBE to this column at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner

And DIGG and REDDIT the article at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d23-Virginia-considers-repealing-last-radar-detector-ban-in-America

SNIP

If one veteran Virginia legislature gets his way, the last state to ban use of radar detectors will repeal its ban too. . . . . And why might gun owners be interested in May's bid to repeal Virginia radar detector ban? Just peruse news reports and pro-gun web site discussion forums about the issue of traffic stops where drivers and passengers are carrying guns and you'll see why. . . .

Ed Levine lives in Loudoun County and supports May's bill. Mr. Levine has a concealed handgun permit and says he'd like the option to use a radar detector while driving because it might help him stay alert and avoid a speed trap because, Levine notes wryly, "the last thing I want to have on my way to work is a long drawn out discussion with a police officer about the handgun in my car."

Jared

imported post

Mike,

While I do not have the case at hand. CT had a ban on radar detectors that was struck down in the 1990's. The reasoning was that the FCC says airwaves (the type that a standard radar detector will intercept) are free and anyone is free to intercept them. This is an issue of Federal Preemption, I'm not sure why no one in VA has challenged this a long time ago.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jared wrote:
Mike,

While I do not have the case at hand. CT had a ban on radar detectors that was struck down in the 1990's. The reasoning was that the FCC says airwaves (the type that a standard radar detector will intercept) are free and anyone is free to intercept them. This is an issue of Federal Preemption, I'm not sure why no one in VA has challenged this a long time ago.
$$$$$$

Yata hey

architect

imported post

TFred wrote:
vmaxanarchist wrote:
There will still be a national ban on radar detectors for commercial drivers.
Wow the things you learn... I never knew that!

http://www.radarbusters.com/commercialvehiclelawsarticle.cfm

TFred
Subpart G--Prohibited Practices

Sec. 392.71 Radar detectors; use and/or possession.
(a) No driver shall use a radar detector in a commercial motor vehicle, or operate a commercial motor vehicle that is equipped with or contains any radar detector.
(b) No motor carrier shall require or permit a driver to violate paragraph (a) of this section.

Kinda makes you wonder how they get them to the store! :)

Tomahawk

imported post

architect wrote:
TFred wrote:
vmaxanarchist wrote:
There will still be a national ban on radar detectors for commercial drivers.
Wow the things you learn... I never knew that!

http://www.radarbusters.com/commercialvehiclelawsarticle.cfm

TFred
Subpart G--Prohibited Practices

Sec. 392.71 Radar detectors; use and/or possession.
(a) No driver shall use a radar detector in a commercial motor vehicle, or operate a commercial motor vehicle that is equipped with or contains any radar detector.
(b) No motor carrier shall require or permit a driver to violate paragraph (a) of this section.

Kinda makes you wonder how they get them to the store! :)
Ha! Great catch. But that can't be right, they never pass stupid laws do they?:?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

One thing several people do not understand, owning a radar detector does not make you "Ticket Proof", if you drive over the posted speed limit most of the time, your chances are very high that you will be ticketed for it with or without the use of a radar detector.
A detector is helpful in avoiding unjust citations, but there are a few speed detection tactics where a radar detector will not help you at all; Instant-on moving radar is tough to detect before you are the one whose speed is showing on the officers display. Especially if you arethe only car on the road, Vascar is a timing system, and Laser is instantaneous with no radio waves getting scattered for miles for you to detect. In many cases, when you hear the laser warning, it is just simply telling you to pull over because you're getting a ticket.

Not all radar detectors are created equal either, this is a great example of "You get what you pay for"

And If GEICO is your insurer, owning a radar detector gives them a way out of paying your claim, even if the claim had nothing to do with exceeding the speed limit. (read your geico policy a little closer to verify)

I own a radar detector, (Valentine-1)and it is on whenever I am driving, it keeps me abreast of what is happening around me. Has it ever kept me from getting a speeding ticket?? Maybe, but I do not intentionally orblatantly exceed the limit. So I do not know. But it is nice to know what is happening, and where the radar signal is emanating from.
To properly use a radar detector, you first need to learn the strengths and weaknesses of speed detection equipment so you can realize what is happeing in and around you and react properly.

compmanio365

imported post

I have a radar detector, and even though it's a cheapie Whistler, it's saved my bacon more times than I can count (probably more than I know).....I don't go excessively fast, but when conditions are right, I will go 10-15 over. If it keeps me from getting pulled over, getting a ticket, and avoiding the "why are you carrying a gun" discussion.....or worse, getting pulled out, disarmed and all that BS.....then it was $50 well spent. It doesn't make you invincible, but it's another tool to help avoid unnecessary interaction with the police and their quest to line the state's pockets writing speeding tickets.......

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
One thing several people do not understand, owning a radar detector does not make you "Ticket Proof", if you drive over the posted speed limit most of the time, your chances are very high that you will be ticketed for it with or without the use of a radar detector.

I think almost allpeople who have radar detector understand this. Especially those that invest in higher end units like a V1. It's not auto surgery.

I have a V1 and it is good. But I'm basically a conservative driver, so I seldom to ticket-warranted driving. I did like when it went off like crazy one time with nobody at all in front of me--turned out the LEO had eased up behind me. V1 caught the bastage!

It's about time VA repeals that silly law.

KBCraig

imported post

Was the CT law actually overturned by courts, or just repealed?

The reasoning is correct: that we are free to receive anything that is broadcast in the RF spectrum, and it is up to the broadcaster to encrypt, encode, limit his transmission range, or otherwise take steps to prevent reception by unintended parties.

The FCC ignored that reasoning when they outlawed the sale of scanners that could pick up cell phone frequencies (this was back in the 1G analog days, after a couple of high-profile politicians had their cell phone conversations recorded and sold to news agencies).

Saying that you cannot receive certain radio frequencies is no different than saying you may not listen to someone who is speaking loudly in public, or that you must avert your eyes when passing certain things that are visible to the public.

okboomer

imported post

At least VA has a nice wide shoulder to pull off on so I can plunk the dog in the trunk :p

Also, in OK, the newer emergency vehicles broadcast so that radar detectors will display "Emergency Vehicle" ... and depending on what song is on at the time, I may not be able to hear emergency sirens :lol:

As for commercial drivers not using radar detectors ... just who was it that bought them and generated the market in the first place :lol:

I used to see all the "Steelcraft" drivers pull into Cincinnati Microwave in the mornings to get their's calibrated for free :lol:

And I know that on I-40 there are at least 1 out of 10 rigs that are running radar detectors and jammers :lol:

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
most police depts, have switched over to Laser speed detectors anyways...If ya don't speed then you don't need a detector. Just saying...:)
If you drive too slowly for near-empty and good weather freeway conditions, you don't need one either. Snails should be fined just as much as zig-zag lightspeed at rush hour drivers.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
most police depts, have switched over to Laser speed detectors anyways...If ya don't speed then you don't need a detector. Just saying...:)
If you drive too slowly for near-empty and good weather freeway conditions, you don't need one either. Snails should be fined just as much as zig-zag lightspeed at rush hour drivers.
yup, drive the speed limit. pretty easy.