• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia considers repealing last radar detector ban in America, pleases gun owners

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
most police depts, have switched over to Laser speed detectors anyways...If ya don't speed then you don't need a detector. Just saying...:)
If you drive too slowly for near-empty and good weather freeway conditions, you don't need one either. Snails should be fined just as much as zig-zag lightspeed at rush hour drivers.
yup, drive the speed limit. pretty easy.
Which is deliberately set lower than safe speeds in little-to-no traffic.

The speed limit encourages people to drive at unsafely slow speeds.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
most police depts, have switched over to Laser speed detectors anyways...If ya don't speed then you don't need a detector. Just saying...:)
If you drive too slowly for near-empty and good weather freeway conditions, you don't need one either. Snails should be fined just as much as zig-zag lightspeed at rush hour drivers.

so, 65 MPH is too slow for ya ? :?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Glock34 wrote:

Yah, Ok. Just keep on believing that until you get wronglyticketed when you were not exceeding the postedlimit. I have had it happen on more than 1 occasion.

The last instance is what tirggered me researcing the best detectors available and deciding on my V-1.

Laser is out there, but not nearly as much as you think, Laser can only be used from a stationary vehicle while radar can be used in a moving vehicle.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

Yah, Ok. Just keep on believing that until you get wronglyticketed when you were not exceeding the postedlimit. I have had it happen on more than 1 occasion.

The last instance is what tirggered me researcing the best detectors available and deciding on my V-1.

Laser is out there, but not nearly as much as you think, Laser can only be used from a stationary vehicle while radar can be used in a moving vehicle.
The last time I got a ticket for speeding was 13 years ago. Now I don't speed, I wear my belt & use my Blinkers. 13 years ago when I got that ticket, I took it to court & it was thrown out.How you ask ? My driving record is squeeky clean, with no criminal past..I fight all tickets & always win. People that need radar/laser detectors are those that exceed the posted limits & they are the ones that need to worry about getting pulled over. I luv cruise control, lock it in at 64 don't worry about a thing.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

On a relatively straight, well-maintained road, good weather, and no other vehicles within a mile front or back traveling 65 MPH or less, 65 MPH is too slow, encourages crashes and road rage. And the government knows it. They have your worst interests at heart.

Tomahawk

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
So one gun a month is not enough for ya? :?
no law that says you can only buy on gun a month here in Wisconsin:)

but, their is a law that says 65 MPH is as fast as you can go on Interstate highways:cool:

Well, then, maybe you need a one-gun-a-month law. You don't need to buy guns any faster than that if I don't need to drive faster than 65.

Maybe we can build HOG guns, high-occupancy guns, which you may buy more than once per month as long as you share it at the range with 3 or more other gun-owners.

And you need a gun lisence, too, because we need to make sure you can follow the range rules before we let you own one.

And you have to get your gun inspected once a year for safety, and again each year for emissions test, to make sure the powder is burning properly. For a nominal fee, of course.

In fact, we could have speed limits for guns, too, for excessive muzzle velocity. And lisence plates on the stocks, too.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
So one gun a month is not enough for ya? :?
no law that says you can only buy on gun a month here in Wisconsin:)

but, their is a law that says 65 MPH is as fast as you can go on Interstate highways:cool:

Well, then, maybe you need a one-gun-a-month law. You don't need to buy guns any faster than that if I don't need to drive faster than 65.

Maybe we can build HOG guns, high-occupancy guns, which you may buy more than once per month as long as you share it at the range with 3 or more other gun-owners.

And you need a gun lisence, too, because we need to make sure you can follow the range rules before we let you own one.

And you have to get your gun inspected once a year for safety, and again each year for emissions test, to make sure the powder is burning properly. For a nominal fee, of course.

In fact, we could have speed limits for guns, too, for excessive muzzle velocity. And lisence plates on the stocks, too.
Nice rant...I know you attempting to make a point...but Apples & Watermelons.
No emisions testing here either :D

sccrref

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

Yes. Places to go, things to do and people to see.

sccrref

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

<snip> Laser is out there, but not nearly as much as you think, Laser can only be used from a stationary vehicle while radar can be used in a moving vehicle. <snip>
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-detector-info.cfmRadar Roy has some info on this. There are a few more restrictions they have when using lasers.

okboomer

imported post

In Oklahoma, there is still a law on the books that goes something like this, "If weather, traffic, and road conditions permit ..." and one of my dad's friends fought an 80 mph ticket in the mid-1970's on this basis successfully ... I also know that the interstate highways were built and rated for 70mph ... dad did a lot of research when I-40 was built through OKC.

In fact, the interstate system is built for movement of our military ... two 5-tons hauling a battle tank each should be able to go 70-mph side-by-side down the interstate ... also, the reason that off ramps are usually such tight loops is to bottle-neck invaders when they try to invade metro areas. Same thing for the (mostly) long access ramps, to facilitate military movement.

Now, if I spend the $$ for a high-performance vehicle (Pontiac Firebird) and it's speedometer goes up to 120mph, you better belive I am going to peg that sucker somewhere, sometime! :lol:The last TA showed 165 mph and the Challenger SRT-8 went to 180 ... I gotta need for speed :cool:

Of course, I set my cruise control at 68 ... gotta love that reduce speed function on the push of a button instead of having to drop out of cruise control ... and then, being female, I can usually get off with a warning :lol:And I refuse to be on the road when the local high school gets out ... those kids drive like maniacs! Small, rural town.

There were years when I racked up 30,000 miles per year and 90% of those miles were on interstate, so I would say I am a safe driver ... all the accidents I ever had were the other person's fault and in all but two, I was able to drive away from them. It's kind of hard to drive away when you t-bone someone who turns in front of you against the light or oncoming traffic :what:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

okboomer wrote:
In Oklahoma, there is still a law on the books that goes something like this, "If weather, traffic, and road conditions permit ..." and one of my dad's friends fought an 80 mph ticket in the mid-1970's on this basis successfully ... I also know that the interstate highways were built and rated for 70mph ... dad did a lot of research when I-40 was built through OKC.

In fact, the interstate system is built for movement of our military ... two 5-tons hauling a battle tank each should be able to go 70-mph side-by-side down the interstate ... also, the reason that off ramps are usually such tight loops is to bottle-neck invaders when they try to invade metro areas. Same thing for the (mostly) long access ramps, to facilitate military movement.

Now, if I spend the $$ for a high-performance vehicle (Pontiac Firebird) and it's speedometer goes up to 120mph, you better belive I am going to peg that sucker somewhere, sometime! :lol:The last TA showed 165 mph and the Challenger SRT-8 went to 180 ... I gotta need for speed :cool:

Of course, I set my cruise control at 68 ... gotta love that reduce speed function on the push of a button instead of having to drop out of cruise control ... and then, being female, I can usually get off with a warning :lol:And I refuse to be on the road when the local high school gets out ... those kids drive like maniacs! Small, rural town.

There were years when I racked up 30,000 miles per year and 90% of those miles were on interstate, so I would say I am a safe driver ... all the accidents I ever had were the other person's fault and in all but two, I was able to drive away from them. It's kind of hard to drive away when you t-bone someone who turns in front of you against the light or oncoming traffic :what:
Never owned a Sports car :( Always wanted a Ferrari F-50 :D

Tomahawk

imported post

okboomer wrote:

I tend to believe that the "military" thing was just the useful fiction Ike made up so he could get the federalgovernment involved in road-building, which it really has no business getting into. The fact that the fed gov now witholds highway money to coerce states into doing what it wants supports my theory.

Tight loops to bottleneck invaders? LOL

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
On a relatively straight, well-maintained road, good weather, and no other vehicles within a mile front or back traveling 65 MPH or less, 65 MPH is too slow, encourages crashes and road rage. And the government knows it. They have your worst interests at heart.
:shock: How does traveling too slow (65 mph) encourage crashes and road rage if there are NO other vehicles on the road? :shock:

What am I missing in this equation?

Yata hey

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
:shock: How does traveling too slow (65 mph) encourage crashes and road rage if there are NO other vehicles on the road? :shock:

What am I missing in this equation?

Yata hey
Nothing. Bolding some things and not others doesn't mean the others are no longer variables.

okboomer

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
okboomer wrote:

I tend to believe that the "military" thing was just the useful fiction Ike made up so he could get the federalgovernment involved in road-building, which it really has no business getting into. The fact that the fed gov now witholds highway money to coerce states into doing what it wants supports my theory.

Tight loops to bottleneck invaders? LOL

It was the middle of the cold war and the Big Red Army was just over the horizon :what: