• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What an adrenaline rush

muccione

imported post

I bought myself a SA XD-40sc about a month ago and have been OCing everywhere I can in the Hickory/Conover area .. This is MY first gun but I have lots exp. with all types of weapons...

Tonight I need some milk and beer so off I went...

The store I go to in Conover is right down the street from WM...Kangaroo Express...Well the local PD also use this place as a local free coffee spot... When I pulled up I saw the 2 police Chargers...

So I put my XD in my Blackhawk Serpa went in... What an adrenaline rush I got...I walked pass both LEOs and grabbed my milk and when to check out...I put my strong side toward the LEOs...My hands were shaking a bit as I got my credit card... And not a word from the LEOs....They might not have seen it but who knows....

Then I had to drive to another store to get my beer...It cost more but it was worth the price to get this first experience out of the way...(I know I can't carry and buy beer)

I feel I am very prepared for any LEO encounters because of this website...I have my iPhone ready to record at anytime...

Hopefully this will be the norm here in Conover.. I'm going to get my CC but I think I like OCing more... CC will be for a back up gun;)...

Well that my cherry pop.....

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

muccione wrote:
Then I had to drive to another store to get my beer...It cost more but it was worth the price to get this first experience out of the way...(I know I can't carry and buy beer)
Why not? I buy beer when carrying. I bought a 12-pack of Miller High Life at my local BP not even an hour ago with my SR9 on my hip. You can't consume beer while carrying, but there is no legal prohibition against purchasing alcohol at a grocery store or convenience store while carrying. ;)

Dreamer

imported post

xdDALTON45 wrote:
actually.. you CAN carry and buy beer you just can not consume it while in posession of a weapon..

Dreamer.. back me up
Oh no, now I'm being seen as some sort of "authority figure"... I need to cut down my posting frequency... :shock:

But yes, I will completely back you up on this one. There is no statute prohibiting you from purchasing or possessing alcohol while carrying. I do it several times a month. I've bought beer and wine, while OCing in numerous stores.

You can't buy liquor while OCing though--but not because there is a law against it. It's just that all the ABC stores are "posted", and you can't carry in ANY mode in an ABC store. When I need to replenish the liquor cabinet, I leave my firearm in a lockbox in the vehicle before I go into the store...

But you are right. There are no NC statutes prohibiting purchasing or possessing beer, wine, or liquor when you are carrying--OC or CC.

You just can't CONSUME while carrying in NC.

But if you're out shopping in your car, you've got no business drinking anyway, carrying or not...

xdDALTON45

Mebane (Alamance County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
xdDALTON45 wrote:
actually.. you CAN carry and buy beer you just can not consume it while in posession of a weapon..

Dreamer.. back me up
Oh no, now I'm being seen as some sort of "authority figure"... I need to cut down my posting frequency... :shock:

But yes, I will completely back you up on this one. There is no statute prohibiting you from purchasing or possessing alcohol while carrying. I do it several times a month. I've bought beer and wine, while OCing in numerous stores.

You can't buy liquor while OCing though--but not because there is a law against it. It's just that all the ABC stores are "posted", and you can't carry in ANY mode in an ABC store. When I need to replenish the liquor cabinet, I leave my firearm in a lockbox in the vehicle before I go into the store...

But you are right. There are no NC statutes prohibiting purchasing or possessing beer, wine, or liquor when you are carrying--OC or CC.

But if you're out shopping in your car, you've got no business drinking anyway, carrying or not...
Thank you sir:D

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
xdDALTON45 wrote:
actually.. you CAN carry and buy beer   you just can not consume it while in posession of a weapon..

Dreamer.. back me up

You won't find that in the statutes for OC, only CC. You can OC stumbling drunk if you choose, though not recommended. There is no law prohibiting OC and consumption. If you can legally be in the store OC'ing why can't you buy it? The only statute is against carrying in an establishment that allows both sales and consumption on site.

Establishment rule

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

CC rule.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

Conover Walmart is very OC friendly. I bought 6 boxes of 9mm about midnight a few weeks ago. Dealt with 4 employees with no questions. Congrats, maybe I'll see you around. Lots of Hickory stores have been pretty good to me too.

jp49911

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
You won't find that in the statutes for OC, only CC. You can OC stumbling drunk if you choose, though not recommended. There is no law prohibiting OC and consumption.
This was how it was explained in my CC course. You lose your privilege to CC when you drink but not your right to OC (and yes the instructor covered alcohol and guns don't mix).

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

Not entirely true....
Not all ABC stores are posted. As such, you can carry in the opens that do not have the sticker/sign. I do it (in)frequently in Raleigh at two different ABC stores.