• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Shooting Ranges?

kawisixer01

imported post

PPA(personal protection academy) http://www.ppa-wi.com/

Ran by Mike Bender with his wife Jen. Very nice and very qualified people. My GF and I took their handgun one course a couple months back. I've been itching to get back but have been very busy traveling for work. The have courses all over WIbut the brunt of them are in Lodi. He does both Handgun and Carbine courses.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Taken right from the http://www.ppa-wi.com/

Like many rules, Rule One isn't always easy to follow. There are still two states, Wisconsin and Illinois, where they don't trust their citizens to protect themselves. And in lots of places, legal or not, it's often socially unacceptable. And carrying a gun can be physically uncomfortable. How then, can all of us observe Rule One? We can't. But, we can carry in every other place where it's legal.
The highlighted portion is misleading in my opinion.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:

How so? It seems spot on the way I see it. The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun....;)

We can not have a firearm within our reach while in a vehicle even if it is encased. We are never allowed to carry any weapon including a handgun concealed according to the letter of the law. All these 2 things do is disarm reasonable rational adults and created potential unarmed victims out of them. They do not make the police any more safe and they are not for the good of the general public. They exist because WI does not trust us and wishes for us to be disarmed.:?

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Support The 2nd wrote:
How so? It seems spot on the way I see it. We can not have a firearm within our reach while in a vehicle even if it is encased. We are never allowed to carry any weapon including a handgun concealed according to the letter of the law. All these 2 things do is disarm reasonable rational adults and created potential unarmed victims out of them. They do not make the police any more safe and they are not for the good of the general public. They exist because WI does not trust us and wishes for us to be disarmed.:?
In addition to that, WI has no castle doctrine, or outline for acceptable use of deadly force. I'd think the absence of that would clearly illustrate a lack of trust for citizens to defend themselves.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have taken Handgun 1-5 with PPA, there is some good information taught in the classes... I would recommend at least Handgun 1 to anyone who is going to a carry, they give a great outline of shot/no shot situation, what you should and shouldn't say when you are in a shooting situation, and what to say (or not to say really) to the police after the fact...

I would also recommend shooting some IDPA, USPCA, or IPSC matches for those looking to prepare. These matches are fun, teach you draw and shoot from different positions (bad guys don't stand still and you aren't always standing in the ready position like you do that the local range), and shot on the move at human like targets. At first I was intimidated to go to a match, but they really are laid back events and everyone is friendly.