• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry incident in Belle Meade Tennessee 1-23-10 5:15-5:30pm

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I walked with my Navy model 1851 black powder pistol. It was loaded with hornady .44 cal ball or .454, triple 7 powder,and ccc percusion caps. One chamber was left empty for safety. It was carried in my hand as law requires.I wore a reflective vest and an arm band and ankle band for safety as it was nearly dark when I began the walk.

I walked north on Belle Meade blvd against traffic and to the median as required by ordinance. I reached Harding road and changed direction to the south. I I almost reached the first break in the median a cop car stoped and the officer told me to put the gun down. Against my objection he searched me (inside of my pockets). He also called in the serial # of the handgun which I told him I objected to. The handgun is loaded and his fiddling around with it made me uncomfortable. Two other cops also showed up. I was held 15 minutes and released to go on my way.

All of the Belle Meade cars are supposed to be equiped with video and audio. I'll do a public information request and post their audio and video and the names and badge numbers and police car numbers of the cops involved.

Edited to add video and audio of complaints

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

One of the persons complaining said I looked like a doctor and waved.

first complaint

The woman saw me from a car and said I was threatening her and her children because I carried a handgun like the law stated.

griffith complaint part 1

grifith complaint part 2

griffith complaint part 3

Tennessee State Law

TCA 39-17-1314 City laws regulating guns preempt state laws if they were made before April 8, 1986.

Belle Meade ordinances

Title 11 Chapter 6 section 602 specifically states the carry of an army or navy model pistol is an exception, and it must be carried openly in the hand not in a holster.

navy1851pistol.jpg

One thing nice about black powder is they can't unload it and make you play hide and go seek with the ammo.

Here are the reports.

howellreport.jpg

cortermiscreport.jpg

cortersupplementalreport.jpg

goinssupplementalreport.jpg

old dog

imported post

I don't know this person but based on recent activity, I'm getting a strong aroma of "jerk". Are he and his ilk part of the solution or part of the problem?

BTW, Navies are .36 caliber.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I know .44 were considered army, but the manufacturer calls this a navy because of the style.

It has the little nipples, but since I carried it in my hand I prefered to leave one cylinder empty and the hammer was down on it.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I was thinking about setting it on the peg to the right of the cylinder next time as an added measure of protection, but in self defense I don't think that would work so great.

I'm off to file my complaint with the department and request for public information.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I was thinking about setting it on the peg to the right of the cylinder next time as an added measure of protection, but in self defense I don't think that would work so great.

I'm off to file my complaint with the department and request for public information.

What complaint? You don't have grounds.

I have it on good authority that Belle Meade DOES NOT enforce the city ordinance on weapons. BMPD goes by Tn State Law.

You could have carried your Army Colt (or any other handgun for that matter) in a holster, like anormal person, and you would not have been engaged by LEO.

Everyone, just let this idiot fade away, OK.

TehGruu

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
No grounds?

Since when do terry searches allow for interior checks of pockets?

Maybe they would have left you alone if you painted it orange.

-Gruu

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
What defines the army or navy pistol?

There is no exact definition. It is a pistol which was as used in war.

It does not include revolvers which used cartridges or "saturday night specials".

These laws are from the early 1870's.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

I have it on good authority that Belle Meade DOES NOT enforce the city ordinance on weapons. BMPD goes by Tn State Law.

You could have carried your Army Colt (or any other handgun for that matter) in a holster, like anormal person, and you would not have been engaged by LEO.

That may or may not be the case. Can you get the chief to write on city of belle meade letterhead that he will not enforce the ordinance?

I carried as any normal law abiding citizen would carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I carried as any normal law abiding citizen would carry.
Normal:
adj.
  1. Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical: normal room temperature; one's normal weight; normal diplomatic relations.
  2. Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.
  3. (Abbr. n or N) Chemistry.
    1. Designating a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution.
    2. Designating an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms.
  4. Mathematics.
    1. Being at right angles; perpendicular.
    2. Perpendicular to the direction of a tangent line to a curve or a tangent plane to a surface.
    1. Relating to or characterized by average intelligence or development.
    2. Free from mental illness; sane.
Since you did NOT carry in a normal way as a normal person would do, your look-at-me-party was seen as abnormal.

Yata hey

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

By the definition I conformed to the standard. The standardisthe law. A lawabiding citizen carries an army or navy pistol openly in the hand. Therefore, a normal, law abiding citizen would carry as I did.

bohdi

imported post

My point in asking the question is I wonder if he would have gotten the same amount of harassment with a modern handgun that qualifies as a Army or Navy pistol by definition.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

By definition a 1911 is not an army or navy pistol. It was understood the army or navy pistol was a pistol as was used in war (meaning the war between the states). It was large, heavy, and cap and ball.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bohdi wrote:
My point in asking the question is I wonder if he would have gotten the same amount of harassment with a modern handgun that qualifies as a Army or Navy pistol by definition.

He could have OC'd ANY pistol, holstered, and they wouldn't have bothered him. But that wouldn't have served kwik's purpose. He went fishing for a lawsuit, pure and simple.

I have very little doubt that kwik is working real hard to make law abiding gun carriers in this state look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't working for the Brady Bunch and the restaurateurs in the Nashville area that don't want to be responsible for barring HCP holders from carrying guns into their establishments. That legislation has still got to be re-written and passed. Shenanigans like kwik has been pulling lately maycause some lawmakers tohave second thoughts.

Let's not forget something here. kwik wasn't exactly forthright with us about his escapade at Renkor Lake State Park. How do you know he's not holding back info from this little fishing excursion, too? Or maybe adding stuff that didn't happen.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
bohdi wrote:

He could have OC'd ANY pistol, holstered, and they wouldn't have bothered him. But that wouldn't have served kwik's purpose. He went fishing for a lawsuit, pure and simple.

I have very little doubt that kwik is working real hard to make law abiding gun carriers in this state look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't working for the Brady Bunch and the restaurateurs in the Nashville area that don't want to be responsible for barring HCP holders from carrying guns into their establishments. That legislation has still got to be re-written and passed. Shenanigans like kwik has been pulling lately maycause some lawmakers tohave second thoughts.

Let's not forget something here. kwik wasn't exactly forthright with us about his escapade at Renkor Lake State Park. How do you know he's not holding back info from this little fishing excursion, too? Or maybe adding stuff that didn't happen.

I was completely forthright. In fact the Lt. who just completed the complaint investigations into five officers in the Radnor Lake incident seemed impressed that my story and the officers's stories matched so well.

I'll hopefully get video soon from the Belle Meade police station they have seven days to respond to my request and a reasonable amount of time after that to produce what I asked for. I'm not going to put up the audio I recorded of the Belle Meade police, because I think they may change their story and I want to catch them in a lie if they do.

Maybe it is too hard to look up the law so I'll repost it. It is illegal to carry a holstered pistol in Belle Meade.

[align=left]11-602. Weapons and firearms generally
. It shall be unlawful for any[/align]

[align=left]person to carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor,[/align]

[align=left]dirk, knife, blackjack, brass knucks, pistol, revolver, or any other dangerous[/align]

[align=left]weapon or instrument except the army or navy pistol which shall be carried[/align]

[align=left]openly in the hand. However, the foregoing prohibition shall not apply to[/align]

[align=left]members of the United States Armed Forces carrying such weapons as are[/align]

[align=left]prescribed by applicable regulations nor to any officer or policeman engaged in[/align]

[align=left]his official duties, in the execution of process, or while searching for or engaged[/align]

[align=left]in arresting persons suspected of having committed crimes. Furthermore, the[/align]

[align=left]prohibition shall not apply to persons who may have been summoned by such[/align]

[align=left]officer or policeman to assist in the discharge of his said duties. (Ord. 71-6,[/align]

§ 2.12. 1987 Code, § 10-212)

Not only is it illegal according to the ordinance, butall the case law I found shows it is illegal. I have already posted the 6 case laws I found.

Not sure why you emphasized holster. I take that to mean you do not approve of slings, scabbards, or carrying in the hand? You're going to love it when I carry my puma holstered. I was thinking about an x frame smith in a chest holster or maybe a couple of vaqueros in some nice gun leather.

suntzu

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

If he was within the law--they had no business of stopping him. While I don't agree with what he did--I certainly believe that if he was within the law that they should have left him alone.

He isn't an idiot--I suspect he is trying to make a point to the cops that if he we are within the law--leave us gun owners be to go about our business and live our lives and stop treating us like we are the enemy.