• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had an occasion to draw my sidearm this week

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I took advantage of the decent weather we had to do some geocaching in the north cascades. I had just found a cache on the Cascade River Road (Just OUTSIDE the park). As I was putting it back into it's hiding place I heard some noise in the bushes just a few yards behind me. I turned around and what do I see but a Black Bear just a few yards away.

Fortunately it was as afraid of me as I was of it, but after changing my underwear and re-holstering my Springfield XD45 I finally got the adrenaline under control. I never expected to come across a bear this time of year so was not being as vigilant as I should have been. I've scared up bears before but never that close!

The bear was in no danger from me, there was no way I was going to fire unless attacked.

phoneguy

imported post

I would be scared to death if I seen a caveman in the forest.

Hammer

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I took advantage of the decent weather we had to do some geocaching in the north cascades. I had just found a cache on the Cascade River Road (Just OUTSIDE the park). As I was putting it back into it's hiding place I heard some noise in the bushes just a few yards behind me. I turned around and what do I see but a Black Bear just a few yards away.

Fortunately it was as afraid of me as I was of it, but after changing my underwear and re-holstering my Springfield XD45 I finally got the adrenaline under control. I never expected to come across a bear this time of year so was not being as vigilant as I should have been. I've scared up bears before but never that close!

The bear was in no danger from me, there was no way I was going to fire unless attacked.
I've had more occasion to unholster in rural/remote areas than in urban areas.Seems backward to me too, but there sure aren't any witnesses or anyone/anywhere to go for help. If there's gonna be help, you gotta supply your own.
And black bears hibernate, but get up now and then in the winter, as you found.
They are generally as you found this one, much more reclusive and non-agressive than otherwise.
Spring bears might be more cranky.
I get a bit edgy when I'm hungry too.
Bet it'd be bad if I'd hardly eaten for 3-4 months..... :X
Glad it ended well for all :D

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, that was my fear.... at that particular location, no-one would have been likely to come by for months.

One mistake I made was I didn't tell anyone where I would be, so if anything had happened, no one would know where to look for me.

SayWhat

imported post

Had a coyote run through the yard this morning.. with my 2 year old standing next to me it was enough to go to hand on pistol but not enough to draw. The yote just ran by (luckily) as my son is yelling dog! dog!.. The mrs saw the whole thing and is finally considering carrying. She takes the kids for walks on the property all the time unarmed (gasp).

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
As I was putting it back into it's hiding place I heard some noise in the bushes just a few yards behind me. I turned around and what do I see but a Black Bear just a few yards away.

Hellooo, Mr. Bear!!!

Glad you're OK.

kito109654

imported post

Wow, I'm glad you didn't have to shoot, you would have probably been toast had it charged. *whew*

On another note, beautiful area, and congrats on finding your cache! I'm always armed when I'm up there, but with a rifle!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Gotta watch Black Bears I ran into one literally with my dirt bike years and years ago, scared it as it scared me we both took off in opposite directions.

But black bears are one of the only bears that will actively hunt humans. Probably not this time of year. Glad you are ok.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few years ago while hunting deer in Klicitat I had the feeling I was beeing watched. At first I blew it off and just started to head back towards my buddies and the meeting spot for lunch. Yet I still had that feeling. So I slowed way down and listened very carefully. Then I heard it, a sound like a cat purring but not quite it was a little different. At that point I figured one of the reasons I had not seen any deer that morning was because there was a cat present. Now I had my rifle (30.06) and my revolver (.357mag). I looked up in the tree infront of me and it was clear. So I decided to sit down with my back against the trunk of that tree, draw my revolver, make sure my rifle was ready and wait. I waited for 30 minutes or so, as at first I could hear movement not to far away. After about 30 minutes it seemed all clear and I double timed it back to the meeting point.

I can not be sure of what was stalking me that morning, perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me but it really got my heart pumping. (BTW I had a cougar tag)

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Gotta watch Black Bears I ran into one literally with my dirt bike years and years ago, scared it as it scared me we both took off in opposite directions.

But black bears are one of the only bears that will actively hunt humans. Probably not this time of year. Glad you are ok.
I thought grizzlies do, blacks don't.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

N6ATF wrote:

I could be wrong but I was always taught it was Black bears. With a grizzly you can play dead and he MAY leave you alone, a black bear would just be glad you are laying still.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I can not be sure of what was stalking me that morning, perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me but it really got my heart pumping.

Bigfoot ?
LOL, nope where we hunt is cougar country and with the changes in hunting with dogs to the law a few years ago, they are less fearful and more prevalent. I am pretty sure that a big kitty cat was sizing me up. :lol:

Mainsail

imported post

RWW, you have no idea how much that PISSES ME OFF! :cuss:

I'm out hiking to remote lakes and summits, dropping my tent in far away places away from the trail system and campsites figuring I'd see something, anything, but no. You're out geocahing and get to see a bear. That just figures. Now, I don't want to be as close as you got, but it would be nice to see one. Someday...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Just live where I do in Sudden Valley you will see them if you live here long enough in my gate. I border State land and forestry land. When they log I see more activity as the animals are temporarily displaced.

Trigger Dr

imported post

N6ATF wrote:

No both wrong...Polar bears

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
N6ATF wrote:

No both wrong...Polar bears
We don't deal with much polar bear activity here. LOL.

It is very rare but from what I remember a black bear will stalk human prey in some instances.