Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Dog attacking my son.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?

  2. #2
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    Crypto wrote:

    1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?
    Better hope it's not just charging at him to play with him.

    Teeth showing? Growling? Carry some pepper spray and spray the dog.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    Thats a good idea, to actually carry something with you that is non-lethal as well as lethal.

    I'm going to do that actually.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Just Us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    If that doesn't work,and the K-9 is actually being aggressive towards your kid then I feel you need to do what you need to do to protect your family. Be cautious of the owner afterward. As for shooting a dog, be careful.Dogs can be strong and throw a kid around and most parents don't want to harm their own offspring.

    Only my opinion, but use your own judgement.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Crypto wrote:


    1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?


    Crypto,

    3 years ago, I was attacked by 2 pitbulls while clearing brush in my back yard. I filed a report with the police and animal control. In the situation I was in I was able to end the attack without shooting only because I got the help of the dogs owner. I told the owner, the police and animal control that if they attacked again, I would kill them. The owner became hostile for the next 2 1/2 years. The police and animal control said shoot them, you are legal to do so.

    Now I would suggest that you read very carefully Washington State Dangerous Dog Law.
    RCW 16.08.010; 16.08.020; 16.08.030; 16.08.040; 16.08.050; 16.08.060; 16.08.070; 16.08.080; 16.08.090; 16.08.100.

    There are seven pages in this set of laws. read carefully, each one ,several times until you have a full understanding before moving on to the next one. Do not make "what if" scenarios, just try to understand the law first.



  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    Ya, I'm reading it now trigger dr. I like what if scenarios though. They are realistic situations that you might have to be in one day.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    What if's are fine but understand the law first that way you will avoid interpreting the law to fit your circumstance. In college, my law professor stated "there is only one thing positive in law, and that is Nothing is positive in law" Also you must be able to diferentiate between the spirit of the law ( what the law is supposed to mean) and the letter of the law (what the law says) they are seldom the same and that is why we have attorney and judge types,most aregood, and a few bad. But, most of the bad are now in politics.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    But most of the bad are now in politics.
    I started laughing when I seen that. Your probably right. I know when I was in court for my firearm violations it seemed like the whole system wanted to jump on me.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    State of Disbelief in King County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Crypto,

    I have had that happen I was attacked by two dogs several years ago. I had my Ruger p89 in the inside pocket of my jacket. I got drug to the ground and couldn't get it clear. I eventually beat one of them to death with a cinder block and cold cocked the other.

    Results, were 212 stitches. All because the woman who owned um was drunk, thougt I was her EX BF, and was out with my GF. She thought it was funny to sic the dogs after me while we were walking to the store.

    I got my Girlfriend ontop of a van and got the dogs away, but was cornered and drug to the ground in a front yard. All that was at hand was a paving walk stone.

    Those dogs didn't give up til they were both down. 75% of my jeans were torn off, and I could hardly walk away.

    Dogs come after me,snarling and snapping, owner better bring a shovel to buy um with. I own and raise dogs, and before that incident killing a dog for any reason never crossed my mind.

    Seattle PD arrived, woman was passed out, one dog was dead in the yard were we fought and the other was staggering around it's own yard. PD approached guns drawn.

    Woman took remaining dog and disappeared the next day. When SPD Detective and Animal control showed up the house was empty. they were gonna put the remaining dog down and inform the woman, she was under arrest and was responsible for my medical and injuries. never saw her again or heard from her, as far as I know there is still a warrent out for her.

    SPD had no issue with the fact that I said I would have killed the dogs if I had gotten my gun clear and this was 7 years ago. The woman is/was charged with 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon. For intensional use of the dogs as a weapon.

    And gee you wonder why her ex boke up with her.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    I'd have helped em gain some weight... about 2 lbs of lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  11. #11
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    3 years ago, I was attacked by 2 pitbulls while clearing brush in my back yard. I filed a report with the police and animal control. In the situation I was in I was able to end the attack without shooting only because I got the help of the dogs owner. I told the owner, the police and animal control that if they attacked again, I would kill them. The owner became hostile for the next 2 1/2 years. The police and animal control said shoot them, you are legal to do so.
    You were very lucky. And you were very justified/reasonable in making your promise to stop any future dog threat, should it happen.

    Pet owners can be pretty unreasonable. It's a shame they almost always defend their pets--regardless of what mayhem the pooches commit. Heck, half the time, the human is majorly responsible for dog mayhem (e.g., no leash, left gate open, etc.).



    Trigger Dr wrote:
    What if's are fine but understand the law first that way you will avoid interpreting the law to fit your circumstance.
    Dear Lord, I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that people would actually do that...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sedro, Washington, USA
    Posts
    533

    Post imported post

    I've wanted to get a small oc or bear spray for just such an occasion but it's one more thing to try to remember to carry every day...I can hardly remember to carry a pen on me. I think I'll just use my pistol, but I wouldn't do that unless I really felt threatened by the dog and couldn't run.

    I think I could take most dogs without my pistol.A knife seems like a good option too, and something I always have on meanyways.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Running will trigger an attack, and intensify the attack if it has already started

  14. #14
    Regular Member Squeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard,
    Posts
    827

    Post imported post

    Wasp spray works very well. It will shoot 20feet. There is no law on carrying wasp spray.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasco, WA, ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    Squeak wrote:
    Wasp spray works very well. It will shoot 20feet. There is no law on carrying wasp spray.
    Not yet, but you wait... CWSL will soon be required to carry wasp spray...

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    They make a spray to keep White Anglo Saxon Protestants away? LOL....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    LOL sorry, I read the heading and just had a mental image of you standing there typing your query on your computer as your son is being attacked by a dog. "hmmm well that dog is really messing up my sons face but I suppose I better double check on the legal ramifications before I do anything" Like I said sorry I cant always help the scenarios that pop into my head.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    State of Disbelief in King County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Trigge Dr. In my cae the attack had already started. and I didn't run I backed away fighting the whole way. My GF at the time was tiny4' 10" and my thinking was to protect her, that I had a better chance against them.

    Learned a lesson that has stuck with me to this day

    NEVER zipper your pocket closed that has your gun in it. Better yet never put your gun in an inside jack pocket. My problem was 3 fold

    1. the gun was too big to carry inside the pocket and got hung up in the fabric
    2. Inside pocket was zippered shut
    3. jacket was zipped

    Put those three together in a fight for your life and it is a recipe for disaster and stitches.

    I did manage to get the jacket open and the inside zipper down, I just couldn't get the gun un caught from the pocket and drawn. Would I have shot them? HELL YES.

    The worst part was that moment when I realized that the gun was useless that I had to give up on it, and I would have to find something else to save myself.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    I was out on a walk (CCing)with my wife, who was pushing our two kids (age 2, 3) in their stroller. They were ahead of me (thin portion of sidewalk) when we passed a house, two doors down our's. The screen door was partially open and there were a couple of teenagers on the porch, one inside the plane of the door, one outside. In an instant the door flung open and there was a very large 80+lbs. dog (if I had to guess, it was a Rott/Pit mix, but it was BIG!) clearing the four steps down to the yard and proceeding my way. Barking, ears up (non-submissive manner) and teeth showing.

    As it crossed the yard towards us, I put my weak side arm up, parallel to the ground (for him to have a target to chew on, besides my face/neck) and drew my G22 with my right hand, keeping it in a retention position at my right hip. Once the dog was within 3 yards or so it looked as if it was going to change it's mind, possibly in reaction to the fact that I looked as if I was not going to just "let" him attack me (& my family). The owner had come to the door and screamed at the dog just as it came to me, at which point it made a 180* turn and ran back across the yard, back up the stairs and inside the door. My neighbor was profusely apologizing, saying they didn't know how it got out, blah, blah.... I just said, "Keep it chained up, it almost got shot today."

    As I reholstered my G22, I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911, reporting that I had just drawn my weapon in public and the circumstances for doing so. (He who dials 911 first, wins.) They gave me the number of animal control, which I didn't call. The dog was going to attack me, but didn't, so I doubt any enforcement would have been issued. And as for a paper-trail in case something happens in the future, there still is a 911 tape somewhere with my side of the story on it.

    My wife was happy I was carrying, and surprised at how fast theGLOCK came out and that I was ready to fight as the threat presented itself. Also, I learned why you don't have time to carry a gun with an empty chamber. I would not have had time to chamber a round had I needed to. Period.

    The police never showed up, and I haven't seen/heardthe dog since. If it's my family or myself versus some aggressive dog, the dog is going to lose. I was just grateful that I didnt have to let loose any 180gr Gold Dots in the middle of my neighborhood with kids around.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    trofwa wrote:
    Trigge Dr. In my cae the attack had already started. and I didn't run I backed away fighting the whole way. My GF at the time was tiny4' 10" and my thinking was to protect her, that I had a better chance against them.

    Learned a lesson that has stuck with me to this day

    NEVER zipper your pocket closed that has your gun in it. Better yet never put your gun in an inside jack pocket. My problem was 3 fold

    1. the gun was too big to carry inside the pocket and got hung up in the fabric
    2. Inside pocket was zippered shut
    3. jacket was zipped

    Put those three together in a fight for your life and it is a recipe for disaster and stitches.

    I did manage to get the jacket open and the inside zipper down, I just couldn't get the gun un caught from the pocket and drawn. Would I have shot them? HELL YES.

    The worst part was that moment when I realized that the gun was useless that I had to give up on it, and I would have to find something else to save myself.
    I understand.

    I was clearing brush and had left my gun in the house as I had just finished cleaning it after a range trip. I called for the wife to get my gun and she grabbed the one I had just cleaned and put in the safe EMPTY, not the one lying on the bedside table.

  21. #21
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    I was out on a walk (CCing)with my wife, who was pushing our two kids (age 2, 3) in their stroller. They were ahead of me (thin portion of sidewalk) when we passed a house, two doors down our's. The screen door was partially open and there were a couple of teenagers on the porch, one inside the plane of the door, one outside. In an instant the door flung open and there was a very large 80+lbs. dog (if I had to guess, it was a Rott/Pit mix, but it was BIG!) clearing the four steps down to the yard and proceeding my way. Barking, ears up (non-submissive manner) and teeth showing.

    As it crossed the yard towards us, I put my weak side arm up, parallel to the ground (for him to have a target to chew on, besides my face/neck) and drew my G22 with my right hand, keeping it in a retention position at my right hip. Once the dog was within 3 yards or so it looked as if it was going to change it's mind, possibly in reaction to the fact that I looked as if I was not going to just "let" him attack me (& my family). The owner had come to the door and screamed at the dog just as it came to me, at which point it made a 180* turn and ran back across the yard, back up the stairs and inside the door. My neighbor was profusely apologizing, saying they didn't know how it got out, blah, blah.... I just said, "Keep it chained up, it almost got shot today."

    As I reholstered my G22, I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911, reporting that I had just drawn my weapon in public and the circumstances for doing so. (He who dials 911 first, wins.) They gave me the number of animal control, which I didn't call. The dog was going to attack me, but didn't, so I doubt any enforcement would have been issued. And as for a paper-trail in case something happens in the future, there still is a 911 tape somewhere with my side of the story on it.

    My wife was happy I was carrying, and surprised at how fast theGLOCK came out and that I was ready to fight as the threat presented itself. Also, I learned why you don't have time to carry a gun with an empty chamber. I would not have had time to chamber a round had I needed to. Period.

    The police never showed up, and I haven't seen/heardthe dog since. If it's my family or myself versus some aggressive dog, the dog is going to lose. I was just grateful that I didnt have to let loose any 180gr Gold Dots in the middle of my neighborhood with kids around.
    Wow. Close call. Well done.

    The owners always apologize.....then they let it happen again....

    NEVER trust adog owner who lets his dog "get away" or run loose.

  22. #22
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Crypto wrote:

    1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?
    It's called an ASP.

    http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:
    Crypto wrote:


    1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?

    It's called an ASP.

    http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html
    I'm sorry, but if an animal capable of killing a full grown man is attacking me, my significant other, or any kids I may have, a stick is not what I am going to be using.

    If the dog is not under direct PHYSICAL control by its owner, and I am not on that owners property then I will have no qualms about killing that dog if it charges. I do not believe in waiting to be injured before killing an animal (if it is running up with tounge and tail wagging that is different). I will do whats best for me and my family and I will hold the owner of the animal responsible for its death.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Not Here Anymore
    Posts
    346

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:

    I will hold the owner of the animal responsible for its death.
    [/quote]



    And make them buy me 10+1 .45 ACP!
    I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

  25. #25
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:I carry a 21 inch ASP everyday. Thanks WA! *sarcasm*

    Let me tell you now...that thing is only going to piss off the attacker even more.

    Attacker+ adrenaline= no pain. Bruises later on, AFTER you're dead.

    Someone sitting there relaxed+ASP= ow stop it, it hurts.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •