• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog attacking my son.

swatspyder

imported post

Crypto wrote:
[align=left]
  1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?
[/align]
Better hope it's not just charging at him to play with him.

Teeth showing? Growling? Carry some pepper spray and spray the dog.

Just Us

imported post

If that doesn't work,and the K-9 is actually being aggressive towards your kid then I feel you need to do what you need to do to protect your family. Be cautious of the owner afterward. As for shooting a dog, be careful.Dogs can be strong and throw a kid around and most parents don't want to harm their own offspring.

Only my opinion, but use your own judgement.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Crypto wrote:
[align=left]
  1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?
[/align]

Crypto,

3 years ago, I was attacked by 2 pitbulls while clearing brush in my back yard. I filed a report with the police and animal control. In the situation I was in I was able to end the attack without shooting only because I got the help of the dogs owner. I told the owner, the police and animal control that if they attacked again, I would kill them. The owner became hostile for the next 2 1/2 years. The police and animal control said shoot them, you are legal to do so.

Now I would suggest that you read very carefully Washington State Dangerous Dog Law.
RCW 16.08.010; 16.08.020; 16.08.030; 16.08.040; 16.08.050; 16.08.060; 16.08.070; 16.08.080; 16.08.090; 16.08.100.

There are seven pages in this set of laws. read carefully, each one ,several times until you have a full understanding before moving on to the next one. Do not make "what if" scenarios, just try to understand the law first.

Trigger Dr

imported post

What if's are fine but understand the law first that way you will avoid interpreting the law to fit your circumstance. In college, my law professor stated "there is only one thing positive in law, and that is Nothing is positive in law" Also you must be able to diferentiate between the spirit of the law ( what the law is supposed to mean) and the letter of the law (what the law says) they are seldom the same and that is why we have attorney and judge types,most aregood, and a few bad. But, most of the bad are now in politics.

Crypto

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
But most of the bad are now in politics.
I started laughing when I seen that. Your probably right. I know when I was in court for my firearm violations it seemed like the whole system wanted to jump on me.

triehl27

imported post

Crypto,

I have had that happen I was attacked by two dogs several years ago. I had my Ruger p89 in the inside pocket of my jacket. I got drug to the ground and couldn't get it clear. I eventually beat one of them to death with a cinder block and cold cocked the other.

Results, were 212 stitches. All because the woman who owned um was drunk, thougt I was her EX BF, and was out with my GF. She thought it was funny to sic the dogs after me while we were walking to the store.

I got my Girlfriend ontop of a van and got the dogs away, but was cornered and drug to the ground in a front yard. All that was at hand was a paving walk stone.

Those dogs didn't give up til they were both down. 75% of my jeans were torn off, and I could hardly walk away.

Dogs come after me,snarling and snapping, owner better bring a shovel to buy um with. I own and raise dogs, and before that incident killing a dog for any reason never crossed my mind.

Seattle PD arrived, woman was passed out, one dog was dead in the yard were we fought and the other was staggering around it's own yard. PD approached guns drawn.

Woman took remaining dog and disappeared the next day. When SPD Detective and Animal control showed up the house was empty. they were gonna put the remaining dog down and inform the woman, she was under arrest and was responsible for my medical and injuries. never saw her again or heard from her, as far as I know there is still a warrent out for her.

SPD had no issue with the fact that I said I would have killed the dogs if I had gotten my gun clear and this was 7 years ago. The woman is/was charged with 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon. For intensional use of the dogs as a weapon.

And gee you wonder why her ex boke up with her.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
3 years ago, I was attacked by 2 pitbulls while clearing brush in my back yard. I filed a report with the police and animal control. In the situation I was in I was able to end the attack without shooting only because I got the help of the dogs owner. I told the owner, the police and animal control that if they attacked again, I would kill them. The owner became hostile for the next 2 1/2 years. The police and animal control said shoot them, you are legal to do so.

You were very lucky. And you were very justified/reasonable in making your promise to stop any future dog threat, should it happen.

Pet owners can be pretty unreasonable. It's a shame they almost always defend their pets--regardless of what mayhem the pooches commit. Heck, half the time, the human is majorly responsible for dog mayhem (e.g., no leash, left gate open, etc.).

Trigger Dr wrote:
What if's are fine but understand the law first that way you will avoid interpreting the law to fit your circumstance.
Dear Lord, I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that people would actually do that...

kito109654

imported post

I've wanted to get a small oc or bear spray for just such an occasion but it's one more thing to try to remember to carry every day...I can hardly remember to carry a pen on me. I think I'll just use my pistol, but I wouldn't do that unless I really felt threatened by the dog and couldn't run.

I think I could take most dogs without my pistol.A knife seems like a good option too, and something I always have on meanyways.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Running will trigger an attack, and intensify the attack if it has already started

Squeak

imported post

Wasp spray works very well. It will shoot 20feet. There is no law on carrying wasp spray.

Stretch

imported post

Squeak wrote:
Wasp spray works very well. It will shoot 20feet. There is no law on carrying wasp spray.
Not yet, but you wait... CWSL will soon be required to carry wasp spray...:dude:

Agent 47

imported post

LOL sorry, I read the heading and just had a mental image of you standing there typing your query on your computer as your son is being attacked by a dog. "hmmm well that dog is really messing up my sons face but I suppose I better double check on the legal ramifications before I do anything" Like I said sorry I cant always help the scenarios that pop into my head. :D

triehl27

imported post

Trigge Dr. In my cae the attack had already started. and I didn't run I backed away fighting the whole way. My GF at the time was tiny4' 10" and my thinking was to protect her, that I had a better chance against them.

Learned a lesson that has stuck with me to this day

NEVER zipper your pocket closed that has your gun in it. Better yet never put your gun in an inside jack pocket. My problem was 3 fold

1. the gun was too big to carry inside the pocket and got hung up in the fabric
2. Inside pocket was zippered shut
3. jacket was zipped

Put those three together in a fight for your life and it is a recipe for disaster and stitches.

I did manage to get the jacket open and the inside zipper down, I just couldn't get the gun un caught from the pocket and drawn. Would I have shot them? HELL YES.

The worst part was that moment when I realized that the gun was useless that I had to give up on it, and I would have to find something else to save myself.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I was out on a walk (CCing)with my wife, who was pushing our two kids (age 2, 3) in their stroller. They were ahead of me (thin portion of sidewalk) when we passed a house, two doors down our's. The screen door was partially open and there were a couple of teenagers on the porch, one inside the plane of the door, one outside. In an instant the door flung open and there was a very large 80+lbs. dog (if I had to guess, it was a Rott/Pit mix, but it was BIG!) clearing the four steps down to the yard and proceeding my way. Barking, ears up (non-submissive manner) and teeth showing.

As it crossed the yard towards us, I put my weak side arm up, parallel to the ground (for him to have a target to chew on, besides my face/neck) and drew my G22 with my right hand, keeping it in a retention position at my right hip. Once the dog was within 3 yards or so it looked as if it was going to change it's mind, possibly in reaction to the fact that I looked as if I was not going to just "let" him attack me (& my family). The owner had come to the door and screamed at the dog just as it came to me, at which point it made a 180* turn and ran back across the yard, back up the stairs and inside the door. My neighbor was profusely apologizing, saying they didn't know how it got out, blah, blah.... I just said, "Keep it chained up, it almost got shot today."

As I reholstered my G22, I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911, reporting that I had just drawn my weapon in public and the circumstances for doing so. (He who dials 911 first, wins.) They gave me the number of animal control, which I didn't call. The dog was going to attack me, but didn't, so I doubt any enforcement would have been issued. And as for a paper-trail in case something happens in the future, there still is a 911 tape somewhere with my side of the story on it.

My wife was happy I was carrying, and surprised at how fast theGLOCK came out and that I was ready to fight as the threat presented itself. Also, I learned why you don't have time to carry a gun with an empty chamber. I would not have had time to chamber a round had I needed to. Period.

The police never showed up, and I haven't seen/heardthe dog since. If it's my family or myself versus some aggressive dog, the dog is going to lose. I was just grateful that I didnt have to let loose any 180gr Gold Dots in the middle of my neighborhood with kids around.

Trigger Dr

imported post

trofwa wrote:
Trigge Dr. In my cae the attack had already started. and I didn't run I backed away fighting the whole way. My GF at the time was tiny4' 10" and my thinking was to protect her, that I had a better chance against them.

Learned a lesson that has stuck with me to this day

NEVER zipper your pocket closed that has your gun in it. Better yet never put your gun in an inside jack pocket. My problem was 3 fold

1. the gun was too big to carry inside the pocket and got hung up in the fabric
2. Inside pocket was zippered shut
3. jacket was zipped

Put those three together in a fight for your life and it is a recipe for disaster and stitches.

I did manage to get the jacket open and the inside zipper down, I just couldn't get the gun un caught from the pocket and drawn. Would I have shot them? HELL YES.

The worst part was that moment when I realized that the gun was useless that I had to give up on it, and I would have to find something else to save myself.

I understand.

I was clearing brush and had left my gun in the house as I had just finished cleaning it after a range trip. I called for the wife to get my gun and she grabbed the one I had just cleaned and put in the safe EMPTY, not the one lying on the bedside table.