• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog attacking my son.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I was out on a walk (CCing)with my wife, who was pushing our two kids (age 2, 3) in their stroller. They were ahead of me (thin portion of sidewalk) when we passed a house, two doors down our's. The screen door was partially open and there were a couple of teenagers on the porch, one inside the plane of the door, one outside. In an instant the door flung open and there was a very large 80+lbs. dog (if I had to guess, it was a Rott/Pit mix, but it was BIG!) clearing the four steps down to the yard and proceeding my way. Barking, ears up (non-submissive manner) and teeth showing.

As it crossed the yard towards us, I put my weak side arm up, parallel to the ground (for him to have a target to chew on, besides my face/neck) and drew my G22 with my right hand, keeping it in a retention position at my right hip. Once the dog was within 3 yards or so it looked as if it was going to change it's mind, possibly in reaction to the fact that I looked as if I was not going to just "let" him attack me (& my family). The owner had come to the door and screamed at the dog just as it came to me, at which point it made a 180* turn and ran back across the yard, back up the stairs and inside the door. My neighbor was profusely apologizing, saying they didn't know how it got out, blah, blah.... I just said, "Keep it chained up, it almost got shot today."

As I reholstered my G22, I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911, reporting that I had just drawn my weapon in public and the circumstances for doing so. (He who dials 911 first, wins.) They gave me the number of animal control, which I didn't call. The dog was going to attack me, but didn't, so I doubt any enforcement would have been issued. And as for a paper-trail in case something happens in the future, there still is a 911 tape somewhere with my side of the story on it.

My wife was happy I was carrying, and surprised at how fast theGLOCK came out and that I was ready to fight as the threat presented itself. Also, I learned why you don't have time to carry a gun with an empty chamber. I would not have had time to chamber a round had I needed to. Period.

The police never showed up, and I haven't seen/heardthe dog since. If it's my family or myself versus some aggressive dog, the dog is going to lose. I was just grateful that I didnt have to let loose any 180gr Gold Dots in the middle of my neighborhood with kids around.

Wow. Close call. Well done.

The owners always apologize.....then they let it happen again....

NEVER trust adog owner who lets his dog "get away" or run loose.

David.Car

imported post

killchain wrote:
Crypto wrote:
[align=left]
  1. Had a question from my wife. Is it legal to shoot someones dog if it charges your son or daughter in a public park?
[/align]
It's called an ASP.

http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html
I'm sorry, but if an animal capable of killing a full grown man is attacking me, my significant other, or any kids I may have, a stick is not what I am going to be using.

If the dog is not under direct PHYSICAL control by its owner, and I am not on that owners property then I will have no qualms about killing that dog if it charges. I do not believe in waiting to be injured before killing an animal (if it is running up with tounge and tail wagging that is different). I will do whats best for me and my family and I will hold the owner of the animal responsible for its death.

tyguy808

imported post

David.Car wrote:

I will hold the owner of the animal responsible for its death.
[/quote]

And make them buy me 10+1 .45 ACP!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Excuse you, but sooner or later 18 year olds will be able to carry metal wands that shoot out lead. Who needs a puny metal stick? ;)

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

I had to pepper spray a dog once, works great. I did have to pull a gun on a dog once, he took off because he sensed my aggresive demeanor towards him I guess. He was a vicious pit, but I guess he knew what a gun was.

SigPacker

imported post

I've had to draw and fire on a dog (a great dane - intentionally missing in hopes the noise would cease the attack - which it did) that was charging me on my own property...(it went away tail between its legs) Even though its the city limits (in my case: auburn) but you do have the right to defend yourself and your domestic animals (children included) with any means necessary to protect yourself, another human and domestic/farm animal from harm from another animal. YMMV where you live, but the cops were never called and the neighbors where i'm at were cool with it (and encouraged it)