• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Touched my first gun today!

RaisedLocal

imported post

I met NavyLTthrough our local paper I hadmade an onlinecomment that situations on the island have become such that I was considering actually learning and buying a gun. He offered to give me lesson, so my husband and I took him up on it and had our lesson today.

So I did more than touch a gun :). He had us shoot 3 different guns, a 22mm with scope & without, a 9mm and a 45mm. To all of our surprise I did VERY well with the 45 :p.

We are considering getting a couple guns when we get our tax refund. Still a bit hesitant with kids in the house though, so we'll see if I actually go through with it. BUT today was a BIG step for me.

swatspyder

imported post

RaisedLocal wrote:
I met NavyLTthrough our local paper I hadmade an onlinecomment that situations on the island have become such that I was considering actually learning and buying a gun. He offered to give me lesson, so my husband and I took him up on it and had our lesson today.

So I did more than touch a gun :). He had us shoot 3 different guns, a 22mm with scope & without, a 9mm and a 45mm. To all of our surprise I did VERY well with the 45 :p.

We are considering getting a couple guns when we get our tax refund. Still a bit hesitant with kids in the house though, so we'll see if I actually go through with it. BUT today was a BIG step for me.
.22 cal and .45 cal, but other than that, :celebrate

With the kids in the house, it takes a mix of education and storage. Purchase a bedside safe that you can only get into, and educate your kids about NEVER touching the guns unless they ask you first. And that you have to be there when they are touching them.

Kids that are old enough to shoot, you should teach them how to protect themselves and the rest of your family from a home invasion.

RaisedLocal

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
RaisedLocal wrote:

.22 cal and .45 cal, but other than that, :celebrate

With the kids in the house, it takes a mix of education and storage. Purchase a bedside safe that you can only get into, and educate your kids about NEVER touching the guns unless they ask you first. And that you have to be there when they are touching them.

Kids that are old enough to shoot, you should teach them how to protect themselves and the rest of your family from a home invasion.

The ones living at home are 19, 17, 14 (boys) and 7 (my precious girl). My parents are going to FLIP when they find out:D. LOL! My boys already are shocked because I wouldn't even let them have squirt guns when they were little.

It was VERY empowering!!!!!!!!

Crypto

imported post

RaisedLocal wrote:
I met NavyLTthrough our local paper I hadmade an onlinecomment that situations on the island have become such that I was considering actually learning and buying a gun.
Ya, for some reason things are becoming more and more unsafe. I think it has to do with so many people out of work. Since I've been home. I've noticed like a 200% increase in theft, assault and shootings in my area.

Batousaii

imported post

Congratulations on your first shooting experience, and bravo on overcomming one's own pre-conceived notions, and to grow and expand one's horizons, plus the ability to learn and accept new things (especially if they seem scary at first) is where we truely feel the essence of life. It is where we can learn to appreciate it, and embrace the delicate balances, and realise the efforts needed to protect it all from others who might seek to take it away.

- I applaud you, and your family, and Thumbs up to NavyLT for a job well done.

- There is a great section on this forum about "choosing a handgun" and i am sure many here will offer foos for thought on everything from "choice of arms" to storage, education, style of carry, etc. etc.

:celebrateWelcome to the board

Bat

amzbrady

imported post

Thats awesome, Kudo's to you for taking the first step and giving it a try, and Kudo's to Navy for taking the time to teach. Education and Safety, Definitly. My wife is for self defense, but does not like the idea of a gun in the house, with children. I have an 8 year old daughter. My wife has shot guns before and loves the Ruger 10/22 plinking cans. To sell her on one in the house I showed her the safe I had chose, and how I would carry and other steps in preventing my daughter from having access, but she does now have the nowledge of how the gun works. I stripped in down in front of her and had her handle the pieces indevidually then we put it together, together. I hope you both can find a firearm you are comfortable with to carry.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

congrats.

I have two daughters now 15 and 17. Guns were always in the house as fortunately my wife was a navy reservist for many years and did not have issue with them. plus she knew me in high school and knew that I grew up around guns. Mind you that my father has over 500 firearms and when I was living at home he never owned a safe! But I knew that if I touched one with out permission I would be in big trouble and I knew that they needed to be treated with respect. I took hunter safety as a teenager as well.

While I own a safe, to prevent them from being stolen. My handguns have always been on my person or sometimes on the counter. My daughters have the same respect for them as I did because I taught them to Stop, don't touch, go tell an adult! This started when they were 4 years old or so and the lessons in safety NEVER stopped! I still teach them how to check the firearm to see if it is loaded or not.

I would say that you talk to your boys about it, don't let it be a mystery. Teach them safety, take them to the range, teach them respect for firearms. Live by the rules of firearms.

All guns are always loaded all the time!

Don't point it at anything unless you intend to kill and destroy that which it is pointed at!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

RaisedLocal wrote:

The ones living at home are 19, 17, 14 (boys) and 7 (my precious girl). My parents are going to FLIP when they find out:D. LOL! My boys already are shocked because I wouldn't even let them have squirt guns when they were little.

It was VERY empowering!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 2 Ammendment.

My mom was the same way but it didn't stop us.

Metalhead47

imported post

RaisedLocal wrote:
I met NavyLT through our local paper I had made an online comment that situations on the island have become such that I was considering actually learning and buying a gun. He offered to give me lesson, so my husband and I took him up on it and had our lesson today.

navy is a great guy, glad you had fun. my wife & i are down in Freeland, hit us up any time you want to try some evil black rifles. ours still need breaking in.

kito109654

imported post

Congrats to RaisedLocal! And welcome to OCDO WA!

45mm, wow, that's pretty darn big. :pGotta give you some flack for that one.:)

Good idea, very good use of the tax return money. Do you plan on carrying (evenif concealed)or will this be for home defense only? I take it you talked to NavyLT about getting a WA Concealed Pistol License?

The children being in the house definitely give you something to think about but keep in mind thata pistol safe is not very expensive. You could even use a fireproof lockbox, they are only $20 at a hardware store. My opinion, however is that the gun is safest on your person. If it's on your hip at all times, you are in control and it's out of your children's hands. Again, just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

My thought on the kids is to teach them all how to use them even the 7 year old.
Almost all the stories I read of firearm problems with kids are from those who hadn't much background with them.

There are several true self defense stories where children not even in the teens have been able to defend against the bad guys. I got some free gun locks from my local sheriff's department. And I keep those on the ones that are not always on me.

Read my essay on the actual statistics of firearm related deaths with children, it is not what T.V. or anti gun organizations would have us believe.

kito109654

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
kito109654 wrote:
45mm, wow, that's pretty darn big. :pGotta give you some flack for that one.:)
Hey now, be nice! She just happens to be a person who pays attention to the news!

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Officer-invovled-shooting-in-Skagit-County-82120032.html

The officer pursued the Blazer westbound on Highway 20. Suddenly, the suspect, a 57-year-old Mount Vernon man, pulled over. He got out of his truck and started walking toward the officer. When the suspect went to pull a weapon from his waistband, the officer fired two shots, killing him.

Police say the man who died was in possession of a .45 mm handgun and had a second gun in a holster on his body.
I noticed that too. Ah well, if guns aren't one's interest it's an easy mistake to make, especially if one isn't a details kind of person.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the world of firearms.

Your kids are all old enough that you can make a day at the range a family affair. Just make sure they all have eye and ear protection when at the range.

Way to go NavyLt

RaisedLocal

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

Your kids are all old enough that you can make a day at the range a family affair. Just make sure they all have eye and ear protection when at the range.

Way to go NavyLt
Yes ALL of boys are now bugging me and want to know when I will take them. My oldest (21) went to Marine boot camp for a month so he's already had some experience and was quite impressed when I told him.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RaisedLocal wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

Way to go NavyLt
Yes ALL of boys are now bugging me and want to know when I will take them. My oldest (21) went to Marine boot camp for a month so he's already had some experience and was quite impressed when I told him.
Don't leave out the little Missy. If she starts now, she could be the next Anne Oakley by the time she gets out of HS.