• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PROPER TRAINING BEFORE YOU GET A PERMTI TO CARRY

Edward Peruta

imported post

Please understand that I’m really just venting in this post. But I do believe that nobody is going toeducate usunless we educateourselves!

I've been reading and posting to this message board since 2007 and can't begin to count the hours spent trying to help others to understand the firearm laws and issues regarding handgun permits in Connecticut. Obviously people with the mandated NRA training have NOT been trained in the specifics of Connecticut law.

Everyone reading and posting on this message board needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

I am convinced that the training given to SOME Connecticut Police Officers and MANY of those who carry pistols or revolvers with valid permits in Connecticut haveNOT been properly trained.

The Connecticut Citizen's Defense League CCDL, [url]http://www.ccdl.us[/url]is a new organization that is attempting to organize firearm owners and enthusiasts while trying toeducate individuals in Connecticut on the rights and responsibilitiesof owning and carrying firearms.

As a civil rights advocate I am convinced that the NRA and all the other high and mighty firearm organizations in Connecticut are soconcerned with their own special interests that they are now lost in their own causes and often ignore the bigger picture.

It is time for all Connecticut firearm owners to unite, whether you are a hunter, collector, dealer or just an individual who wants to carry a weapon for self defense.

Collectively we need to come together so we may educate ourselves and the public on what is mandated and set downin our State and Federal Constitutions and the reasonable laws regardingindividuals who acquire, possess,keep or bear arms in the State of Connecticut.

I'm probably just frustrated because I get tired ofpeople with permits posting their belief that the Connecticut Permit is a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit CCW when in fact it's a "PERMIT TO CARRY PISTOLS OR REVOLVERS" - OPENLY OR CONCEALED.

People who own and carry firearms that don't know the law are just as dangerous to a free society as untrained or arrogant members of law enforcement who often make up laws just so they can be in control.

I only hope that Connecticut organizations like the CCDL can find the financial and social support to flourish and work towards educating citizens, law enforcement, members of the general public and politicians about what the founding fathers set in motion and decided to protect by enacting the Second Amendment.

If everyone posting to this Connecticut section would simply join and FINANCIALLY support the Connecticut Citizen’s Defense League, it would go a long way to solving many of the issues and problems exposed and discussed on this message board.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE CCDL WILL SOLVE MANY PROBLEMS REGARDING FIREARM ISSUES IN CONNECTICUT.

I RECENTLY WON A SMALL CCW[/b] PERMIT ISSUE HERE IN SAN DIEGO AND RECEIVED A REFUND CHECK OF $50.51 FROM THE SAN DIEGO SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT AND BECAUSE I BELIEVE[/b] IN WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN, I WILL BE ENDORSING THEIR CHECK OVER TO THE CCDL AND SENDING IT OUT IN MONDAYS MAIL.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!

Edward Peruta

imported post

Here is a perfect example of incorrect information that found it's way into a filing with the Federal Court in Washington D.C.

[align=left]23. At least 15 states prohibit the open carrying of weapons in public (Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas). NRA, P
RACTISING LAW INSTITUTE:MUNICIPAL LAW INSTITUTE 2009, at 207–211.[/align]
[align=left]The case where this incorrect fact was submitted to the courtis:[/align]TOM G. PALMER, et al. vs. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, et al., Civil Action No. 09-01482 (HHK)

Here is the actual PDF copy of the document filed with the court by attonreys representing our Nation's Capitol where they cite an NRA publication, read item 23 listed in this document and judge for yourself!!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Leave it up to the District's attorneys to cite as authoritarian an outdated publication from a non-government entity.

On a separate note, here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania no training whatsoever is required in order to obtain a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), which, among other things, allows one to carry a firearm concealed - open carry, except in Philadelphia, requires no LTCF at all. Approximately 1 in 20 Pennsylvania adults possesses an LTCF (and there's approximately 670,000 LTCFs currently in effect).

Although training is a good thing to have, and you're stupid if you don't get any, it's called INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY. It's your job to know what the laws are. It's your job to know how to handle a firearm. It's your job to know where you can and cannot carry that firearm.

stacks04

imported post

ed i understand your frustrations. i believe i was one of those people until i discovered the vast amount of sites like these on the web to educate myself. i did take the nra class as instructed by the dps, i thought that was a solid course on ct laws. i was wrong.

i believe more than being mad at the ct resident so to speak, your anger and ours need to be directed at the nra and the folks they certify to teach laws in each state. they are not doing an adequate job. i wish i had the time and resources to go to different classes and do an investigation on what they are teaching.