• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18yo CPL carry INTRODUCED!

kschmadeka

imported post

It's here!!!!!!! This just in from Joe Waldron, writer ofthe GOAL Post:

"HB 3082, a bill that would lower from 21 to 18 the age at which an application for a concealed pistol license could be applied and issued. The bill was filed by Representative Brendan Williams (D-22), a legislator heretofore known for filing anti-gun bills (e.g. HB 2264, HB 2477). While the language of the bill is straightforward, at this point I can only assume this is a case of election year politicking. Until proven otherwise (and simply filing a bill is not proof), I question the motive behind the bill."

The bill is here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=3082&year=2009 And they did mine and Poosharker'sversion one better by also changing the reciprocity law to accept licenses from states that issue to 18 year olds! Hello, Texas! (andeleven other states)

I have a theory asto why this happened. I'm not going to announce it at the moment but I think Brendan Williams is maybea little ticked off at Ceasefire (and I have reason to think so.) The important thing right now is thank Brendan and cosponsor Dave Upthegrove, and start hammering the House Judiciary for a hearing!

Rep.Brendan Williams (360) 786-7940 williams.brendan@leg.wa.gov

Rep. Dave Upthegrove (360) 786-7868 upthegrove.dave@leg.wa.gov

Jamie Pedersen (House Judiciary Chair) (360) 786-7826 pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov

"House Judiciary":pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov, goodman.roger@leg.wa.gov, rodne.jay@leg.wa.gov, shea.matt@leg.wa.gov, flannigan.dennis@leg.wa.gov, kelley.troy@leg.wa.gov, kirby.steve@leg.wa.gov, ormsby.timm@leg.wa.gov, roberts.maryhelen@leg.wa.gov, ross.charles@leg.wa.gov, warnick.judy@leg.wa.gov;

Also of interest, I found this map of states that already issue CPL's to 18 year olds, and a couple to 16 year olds. http://dustinsgunblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/map-of-minimum-age-to-conceal-carry.html

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kschmadeka wrote:
It's here!!!!!!! This just in from Joe Waldron, writer ofthe GOAL Post:

"HB 3082, a bill that would lower from 21 to 18 the age at which an application for a concealed pistol license could be applied and issued. The bill was filed by Representative Brendan Williams (D-22), a legislator heretofore known for filing anti-gun bills (e.g. HB 2264, HB 2477). While the language of the bill is straightforward, at this point I can only assume this is a case of election year politicking. Until proven otherwise (and simply filing a bill is not proof), I question the motive behind the bill."

The bill is here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=3082&year=2009 And they did mine and Poosharker'sversion one better by also changing the reciprocity law to accept licenses from states that issue to 18 year olds! Hello, Texas! (andeleven other states)

I have a theory asto why this happened. I'm not going to announce it at the moment but I think Brendan Williams is maybea little ticked off at Ceasefire (and I have reason to think so.) The important thing right now is thank Brendan and cosponsor Dave Upthegrove, and start hammering the House Judiciary for a hearing!

Rep.Brendan Williams (360) 786-7940 williams.brendan@leg.wa.gov

Rep. Dave Upthegrove (360) 786-7868 upthegrove.dave@leg.wa.gov

Jamie Pedersen (House Judiciary Chair) (360) 786-7826 pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov

"House Judiciary":pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov, goodman.roger@leg.wa.gov, rodne.jay@leg.wa.gov, shea.matt@leg.wa.gov, flannigan.dennis@leg.wa.gov, kelley.troy@leg.wa.gov, kirby.steve@leg.wa.gov, ormsby.timm@leg.wa.gov, roberts.maryhelen@leg.wa.gov, ross.charles@leg.wa.gov, warnick.judy@leg.wa.gov;

Also of interest, I found this map of states that already issue CPL's to 18 year olds, and a couple to 16 year olds. http://dustinsgunblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/map-of-minimum-age-to-conceal-carry.html
Or perhaps he realizes that if this passes, the number of states that currently accept our WA CPL will drop dramatically.

Don't take that wrong, I totally agree with lowering the age to 18, I just worrk about the consequences. I may have to get that Utah permit afterall.

kschmadeka

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Or perhaps he realizes that if this passes, the number of states that currently accept our WA CPL will drop dramatically.

Don't take that wrong, I totally agree with lowering the age to 18, I just worrk about the consequences. I may have to get that Utah permit afterall.

If that were his motivation he wouldn't have amended the bill to include more states in reciprocity.

There may be a few states that have a law written like Washington's current law, that don't honor permits from STATES that issue to people under 21. Most, I'm pretty sure, have their laws written so that only PEOPLE under 21 with permits aren't honored. And I'd wager that most, if not all, of the ones that are lost can be regained, like you said, with Utah/Florida permits. And in the meantime, Poosharkerand his girlfriend havea much better chance of making it to 21.

Yes this is really strange, but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. And I don't really care why someone does the right thing, I only care that they do it, and when they do I give them due credit for it, which he deserves right now.

If there's a hearing it has to be by Feb. 5th, which gives us this coming week to get one scheduled.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
There ya go Poo
I know what I'm doing on monday morning.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHH Get on the phone!!!!!! Ring em up until they tell us they will hold a meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

amzbrady

imported post

Be sure to show maturity. be clear, concise, and to the point, and dont be condescending. No anger or frustration, you would be surprised how it can show in wording alone. Good luck.

kschmadeka

imported post

I was expecting at least another year to get ready, so we have to get caught up on preparation quick. The number one demographic we need involved with thisright now is the 18 to 20 group. Young people pleading for their own lives will have the greatest impact. I imagine the Campus Carry crowd can help with that, this concerns them too. Anyone else who has kids, nieces, nephews, or knows people in that agegroup or close please try to get them to help with some emails at least too. We'll get that flyer updated and keep the blog site updated too. http://CPL18.wordpress.com

Kevin

Tawnos

imported post

HankT wrote:
Why is it a good idea to allow 18-20 year olds a CPL again?
Because most of them are less annoying (and far more mature) than you?

Or because they have the right to vote, the right to drive, they can go to war and bear arms as such...

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Because if someone's old enough to carry a gun to protect this country, they're old enough to carry to protect themselves.

tyguy808

imported post

HankT wrote:

OMG!

Because every American has the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. You nor anyone else shouldn't be able to determine who can and can't keep and carry a gun.

BTW, I say this as someone already over 21.

kschmadeka

imported post

One more time... Poosharker is an adult with the same right to live as the rest of us, whether or not anyone is "comfortable" with that. We already had that conversation on another thread, this is now the "What" to do thread, not the "Whether" to do thread.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Because if someone's old enough to carry a gun to protect this country, they're old enough to carry to protect themselves.

Hmmm, how many 18-20 years olds actually protect our country?

50%?

40%?

30%?

Less? How much less?

If it's a small number, I mean really small, then just let those that do get a CPl, no?

Tawnos

imported post

HankT wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:

50%?

40%?

30%?

Less? How much less?

If it's a small number, I mean really small, then just let those that do get a CPl, no?
Calling the cut off here. Please, nobody respond to HankT's trolling.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
HankT wrote:

OMG!

Because every American has the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. You nor anyone else shouldn't be able to determine who can and can't keep and carry a gun.

BTW, I say this as someone already over 21.

"Every" American?

You cannot think of "any" American to exclude? That's odd. I can think of plenty.

What about, uhm, 16 year-olds? Do you think they should get CPLs?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

When I turned 18, I turned into a legal adult, which means I am responsible for myself. If I do something unlawful, I go to jail/get fined. Not my parents. Not anybody else. I. That means I am responsible for my own safety as well. How can I be responsible for my own safety if I am not allowed the tools to do so? Is this not common sense?

One more thing before we ignore the hanky, 16 year olds are NOT legal adults.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Please, nobody respond to HankT's trolling.
But... but... he has over 5000 posts, there's no way he can be a troll!!!

</sarcasm>

HankT sounds like he belongs in the People's Republik of Soviet Kalifornistan. Or an undercover anti-gunner. Either one works considering his posts in this thread, I don't care what kind of training he gives otherwise. Fact is, every American deserves every right in the Bill of Rights until they revoke their rights, either voluntarily or by committing a felony and/or act of DV.

The maturity level of the majority of teens wouldn't be a problem if our society wasn't so wacked. Am I the only one to see a trend where immaturity is creeping into higher and higher age ranges as they raise age requirements on stuff?

I'm usually not one to call anyone out on stuff, but this is just ridiculous.

kito109654

imported post

HankT wrote:

Get a life, Hank. We are lovers of the Constitution of the United Stateshere.

For everyone, Hank is indeed a troll, just read his other posts. He's just a troll that's been around for a long time.

I'm still so surprised by this that the excitement hasn't even hit me yet, this is wonderful news. Let's be united on this one, guys! Make the call!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:

50%?

40%?

30%?

Less? How much less?

Very few actually vote in that age bracket.

Very few actually protect our country.

Heck very few actually pay much in taxes in that tax bracket.

BUT, that is the age of majority! The 26th Ammendment to the Constitution makes it so. Poo is correct!

"When I turned 18, I turned into a legal adult, which means I am responsible for myself. If I do something unlawful, I go to jail/get fined. Not my parents. Not anybody else. I. That means I am responsible for my own safety as well. How can I be responsible for my own safety if I am not allowed the tools to do so? Is this not common sense" ~ Poohsharker

Ammendment 26

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.