• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charter Arms will introduce rimless revolver early 2010

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jbone wrote:
Charter Arms ad says it will introduce a rimless revolver in early 2010.  Do you think it will require moon clips?  The picture does not show any.

http://charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Firearms_products.html

They were originally supposed to have released them in 2009. Market conditions supposedly prevented this. so I'm waiting waiting waiting.

Give this a read:
http://www.ammoland.com/2009/05/21/where-is-charter-arms-rimless-revolver/

A revolver that can shoot semi-auto ammunition, without worrying about moon clips... works for me. Makes for a nice backup gun that uses the same ammunition as my semi-auto carry pistol.

jbone

imported post

No clips works for me, clips are the reason I passed up a Taurus 905's. I'll endure the wait with you and see what they come up with. I see Charter Arms missed this year's SHOT show, still having patent issues that prevents the unveil?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jbone wrote:
No clips works for me, clips are the reason I passed up a Taurus 905's. I'll endure the wait with you  and see what they come up with.  I see Charter Arms missed this year's SHOT show, still having patent issues that prevents the unveil?

That sucks, and yes, it appears it is patent issues: http://www.ammoland.com/2009/01/21/charter-arms-new-rimless-revolver-missing-from-shot-show/

In fact, despite their previous statements that the 2008 election spurred so much business for their current models that they delayed releasing and manufacturing the rimless revolvers seems like, that patent issues have been the case all along or they're trying to hype up the gun so they can price it nice and high.

Does anyone have an idea of how much these revolvers are going to cost anyway?

jbone

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Bet it won't be cheap, all there other guns have been gone up in price. They have to pay for the R&D, years over release date, I bet that will be transfered that to the consumer with-out hesitation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
A revolver that can shoot semi-auto ammunition, without worrying about moon clips... works for me. Makes for a nice backup gun that uses the same ammunition as my semi-auto carry pistol.
I like the moon clips. Fast reloads. Easy to prepare and transportbunch of ammo for a range visit. I have Smiths 625 and 610 and shooting them is quite satisfactory. The 625 is a perfect nightstand gun. However, the moon clips are an extra cost item (including a demooner).

I would beverrrry interested in the new Charters.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jbone wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
Bet it won't be cheap, all there other guns have been gone up in price. They have to pay for the R&D, years over release date, I bet that will be transfered that to the consumer with-out hesitation.
I don't doubt that they will very expensive, infact, I am sure they will be. If that is the case, I'll just keep my eyes open for a nice .357 Magnum. With all that said, I think their prices increased for some reason other than paying off their R&D costs.

PT111

imported post

They have to pay for the R&D, years over release date, I bet that will be transfered that to the consumer with-out hesitation.
Why wouldn't R&D costs be transferred to the customer? That is a major part of almost any product and is totally part of the production cost. If they can't recoup their R&D costs then they definitely will go out of business. The logic of some consumers really amazes me at times.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

A revolver... (any) is a mechanically antiquated weapon no matter what it fires. Unloading / reloading will always consume time... that you may not have. Some are fun to shoot... but for a primary self defense gun?If not in a calibre that will kill bears... .454/.500, they're rather 'iffy' compared to a semi-auto.

gunner roy

imported post

The Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR) will not need moons, it will first come out in .40 I think then 9mm and I heard possibly .45ACP later in the year. It will bein the $475 range at full retail. Soon to go into production now that minor case ejection bugs are out and the patent stuff is firmed up. I learned at SHOT Show they will have a final industry wide announcement when it begins production with all the particulars so we will all lear about it at about the same time.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
A revolver... (any) is a mechanically antiquated weapon no matter what it fires. Unloading / reloading will always consume time... that you may not have. Some are fun to shoot... but for a primary self defense gun?If not in a calibre that will kill bears... .454/.500, they're rather 'iffy' compared to a semi-auto.
That is a joke, right?

Well, before anyone takes it seriously; Double Action revolvers are no more antiquated than semi-automatic handguns. They may seem old school but they aren't much older or younger than semi-autos.

gunner roy wrote:
The Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR) will not need moons, it will first come out in .40 I think then 9mm and I heard possibly .45ACP later in the year. It will bein the $475 range at full retail. Soon to go into production now that minor case ejection bugs are out and the patent stuff is firmed up. I learned at SHOT Show they will have a final industry wide announcement when it begins production with all the particulars so we will all lear about it at about the same time.
Pretty much what we heard last year and I have a hard time believing they will only cost $475. I mean to say, that would be bloody great! Cause then I'd buy two!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gunner roy wrote:
Welcome to OCDO gunner roy - not related to Huntington are you? :)

Will be very interested in seeing the CARR .45 ACP when it becomes available.

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
That is a joke, right?

Well, before anyone takes it seriously; Double Action revolvers are no more antiquated than semi-automatic handguns. They make seem old school but they aren't much older or younger than semi-autos.

No joke... the mechanics of the design itself is antiquated. How fast canJoe Averagedrop a mag and reload a semi auto compared to a cylinder? Then... there's the obvious ammo capacity. Sam Colt may have been a genius... but Paul Mauser completely eclipsed Colt's idea in 1896.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
That is a joke, right?

Well, before anyone takes it seriously; Double Action revolvers are no more antiquated than semi-automatic handguns. They make seem old school but they aren't much older or younger than semi-autos.

No joke... the mechanics of the design itself is antiquated. How fast canJoe Averagedrop a mag and reload a semi auto compared to a cylinder? Then... there's the obvious ammo capacity. Sam Colt may have been a genius... but Paul Mauser completely eclipsed Colt's idea in 1896.

I wholly disagree. Sure the mechanism of operation is different, but once again, we're talking about modern revolvers, double action revolvers. To reload them, theoretically can take as short of a time as it does for you to grab a stripper clip and push the bullets down into that Mauser. Sure, loading of more modern semi-autos with their drop-and-pop magazines is generally faster than using a speed-loader on a revolver, but may I point out that malfunctions occur far less on revolversthan semi-autos. "Failure to feed on a wheel gun?" I think not. The mechanism to turn the cylinder is so simple that there is rarely a moment it does not work. Revolvers have tolerances that semi-autos do not, such as not worrying about if your ammo is made by one manufacturer or the other or if it is a certain type of hollow point all of which give different types of semi-autos feed and cycle problems.

There is nothing antiquated, again I must state, about the design being that double action revolvers are no more older or younger than semi-auto handguns. Speed of reload, by it self, is hardly a determinant in one being better than the other. If we were talking about single action revolvers, sure, then speed of reload is a serious factor, but there is a lot more to revolvers that make them formidable weaopns, especially over semi-autos in many instances (accuracy, reliability, etc). Training goes a long way and I've seen people fumble with magazines and slide stops. Revolvers remain a viable, capable, and useful weapon for self defense, as a backup gun or as a primary weapon.

If the Charter Arms Rimless revolvers turn out to be all we advocates hope it to be, then I plan on owning one as a self defense weapon and sometimes myprimary carry weapon depending on the situation.

jeeper1

imported post

I would hope that they improve their quality control considerably over the qc of their undercover southpaw revolvers.

Tomahawk

imported post

Rimless ammo in a revolver with no halfmoon is nothing new. I have a Ruger Blackhawk with two cylinders, one that takes .45LC and the other which takes .45ACP with no halfmoon clip. The insides of the chambers have a shoulder which is spaced to stop the edge of the casing. Works wonderfully.

As for revolvers being "too antiquated" or "too slow to reload", whatever. I have heard it said that for the first six rounds, the revolver is the best handgun there is. After six rounds the argument begins.

I've never seen a revolver stovepipe, fail to eject, fail to feed, etc. They can be prone to other types of malfunctions, but any mechanical device is, especially if it's junk to begin with or you don't take care of it.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
As for revolvers being "too antiquated" or "too slow to reload", whatever. I have heard it said that for the first six rounds, the revolver is the best handgun there is. After six rounds the argument begins.

This is why I've always wanted a Smith & Wesson 327PD...
8 rounds of .357 Magnum Hellfire and Brimstone to throw at a bad guy... or .38 Special if you opt for that. I'll take that, especially over a 7+1 1911.

Tomahawk

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

This is why I've always wanted a Smith & Wesson 327PD...
8 rounds of .357 Magnum Hellfire and Brimstone to throw at a bad guy... or .38 Special if you opt for that. I'll take that, especially over a 7+1 1911.
Well, now, let's not get carried away, now...:p