• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slightly uncomfortable experience at Wal-Mart

CarryOpen

imported post

I just got home from Wal-Mart, swung by there to pick up a couple of things and see what 9mm ammo they had in (tons of 40S&W at the Southwest Jacksonville Wal-Mart by the way). I wanted to see if they had some skate tape and after wandering for a few minutes I finally stopped and asked a fellow who was unloading some boxes. I said "Excuse me sir, do you all carry stair tread or skate tape?". He looked right down at my Ruger and then moved around the boxes and closed about 8 paces to get right in front of me. Then started asking me questions about why I needed the tape while switching back and forth between eye contact and eyeballing my weapon.

I immediately took a half step back and raised my left arm (hands full) up high enough to protect my gun and kept my strong hand away from the weapon but "in the air" so to speak. I finally just said "I need it for my stairs, usually I get it at Lowe's, if you don't have any I'll just pick it up tomorrow" to which he replied yeah we don't have anything like that and I went on about my way.

It might come off as a little paranoid, but this was too close for my comfort. They eye contact felt like an attempt at dominance and the distance changed quickly from several yards to muzzle contact range. On one hand I have to commend him for quickly getting out from behind the obstacle between us and placing himself in a more advantageous position, but he sure set off a lot of alarms. Most people tend to keep distance when they notice me carrying.

I tried to employ the "Be polite, be courteous and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" philosophy to the situation. I'm not sure what I could have done better other than to continue to try and create distance while remaining polite.

Sorry if there doesn't seem like much point to this, it's just what happened to me this evening. Anyone else have some people who just seem to get too close for comfort when carrying?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for the report. It is good to hear any situation, especially like yours.

Can you describe the person? I don't need to know the general stuff, just what his build may have been, things like that. You would be surprised what people have training and experience from past lives they've lived. There are a lot of ex-military, police, etc that know a thing or two about encountering a possible assailant. I'm sure he was running the numbers game in his head, establishing chances for getting away from being shot or getting to you before getting shot. Basically, it seems like a guy that know how to handle him self.

OR it may be that he was incredibly stupid for getting that close.

CarryOpen

imported post

He was a stocky build, about 5'5". I would guess former military, odds are in my favor in this town. Having been around the military for quite some time, I would make a guess that he's former Navy. We get some retired Navy around here and they all seem to carry themselves differently than Marines.