• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sig p226 .40 or xdm 40

ddepedro

imported post

I was looking on suggestions on these two pistols. I have been researching for quite some time now on which pistol to buy for my first handgun and have narrowed it down to these two. I am def. set on a .40 cal pistol because of all the calibers I have shot I liked the 40 S&W the best. But just wanted some input on which one to go with the sig or the xdm.

Thanks

t33j

imported post

Whichever one you like more. :)

I went with a HK USP Compact in 9 for my first. Last Monday I picked up a P226 also in 9mm. I haven't handled an XD.

I love both the HK and the P226 but I don't have a good holster for the 226 so it has not seen much time on my hip.

My HK has a nice trigger; the p226 is even better. The SA pull on the 226 is lighter and very crisp. The DA pull is heavier but smooth.

My first impression is that the 226 is too heavy for me to be an everyday carry gun but maybe if I get a proper holster my mind will change. It's great fun at the range tho. I got my most precise grouping ever with my P226.

ddepedro

imported post

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that this will be my primary carry piece seeing how it will be my first and only pistol. So comfort will play a big role.

t33j

imported post

I should mention I'm a pretty light, and very skinny guy so I definitely notice the weight. It may be different for you.

Michigander

imported post

The Sig platform is definitely a finer system, although not necessarily any more effective.

Ignoring metal vs plastic issues, trigger pull is probably the biggest difference.

The XD system has a fairly long, and definitely not crisp out of the box double action striker pull. I totally prefer a Glock pull to it, and I totally prefer a Sig trigger to that of a stock Glock. So I am not a fan of an unmodified XD trigger. Others are. But if you like that system and want a better trigger, plenty of modifications are available, and of course you might not mind it stock.

On the other hand, the Sig has a heavy double action first pull, with subsequent pulls on DA/SA models rivaling the crisp pull of a well made 1911. The transition from DA-SA can be a difficult thing to master, and it can lead to accuracy issues in high stress environments. It also leads a lot of shooters to "cheat" by cocking the hammer manually before shooting at the range, which is a terrible mistake. If you have a Sig or any other DA/SA, I think range practice with a lot of drawing and shooting a double tap DA then SA is a must.

One other difference, which may or may not mean much to you, is that the magazine release on an XD is ambidextrous, whereas I don't believe Sig has ever made a model like that.

Both are as reliable as hammers when clean, lubricated, and fed a steady diet of good ammo with good magazines. It is a matter of personal preference, and perhaps budget. What fits your hand the best may also be a factor.

CarryOpen

imported post

You need to get them both in your hands and even better would be to shoot either. I've run XDs and even carried one. The Sig is a nicer gun to me, but it might not feel right to you.

Things change when you have a gun in your hand - I can't tell you the number of guns that I thought I wanted until I picked them up. I can tell you two that I never thought I'd want - the FNP-9 and the Glock. The FNP was just a per-chance pickup at a gun show and I decided that day that I wanted one. It's sitting next to me now. The Glock never impressed me until I shot a few. I can say now that I wouldn't be ashamed to own one, no matter how ugly they make them.

ddepedro

imported post

I have not held or fired an m&p but I have fired a glock 19 and 23 and im not bashing glock or anything but I wasnt impressed. Yes I know there very reliable but they are ugly as sin. While the xdm is just as reliable and is just a nicer looking gun. just my opinion.

45acpForMe

imported post

You will only know for sure which one you like better by shooting each gun. If you are planning to CC it a compact/subcompact XD might be easier to conceal. OC-ing either is fine.

Some thoughts:

1) .40 XD &Sigs both have capacity 12+1 (XDm 17+1)

2) XD has the cost advantage (couple hundred less)

3) I would give the quality/reliability to Sig although XD would be close "enough".

I own several Sig's so if you can afford them they won't disappoint. Of course shooting them and seeing first hand if you like them is the only way to tell for sure. I would prefer the XDm over the XD if you are going with a full size gun. Better capacity as well as you don't have to pull the trigger to break it down.

All in all you are selecting between two guns that many people love. The only way to find out if you love it is to shoot it. Find a rental at a range and try it out.

The other choice out there that you might consider isH&K. I have aUSP and is a great gun.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, one other thing to keep in mind is that Sig also make s plastic pistol in .40. The Sig Pro 2022 also known as the SP 2022. Might be a little better for CC if that's what you have in mind due to weight. I know my Sig Pro in 9mm is a lot more accurate than I am. It also might be a little easier on the pocketbook too.I've seen them go for like $399 to $450 or so new. That includes a couple of mags and night sights. You would be hard pressed to find a Sig Pro owner that isn't happy with their pistol. I just wanted to throw that out there as a happy medium.

-Gruu

All of that being said, check out a 1911. :celebrate

xD.45Service

imported post

If i'm not mistaken the XD has a SA trigger, being cocked fully everytime you rack the slide.. hence the grip safety.

I've got near 1,200 rounds through my XD45 with no malfunctions.

The quality/reliability goes to sig? My opinion is they're both great guns.

Both reliable and Both equal quality. I have an XDm 9, acurracy is great, low recoil and overall a great gun.

If you are looking at an XD or XDm you should wait a bit and get your hands on the new 3.8 XDm, Springfield is changing up the whole XD line soon also. (according to american rifleman)

Another gun to look at is the Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact..

I picked one of these up a week ago for$375 out the door, All metal, DA/SA, Ambi safety/decocker andslide release

Got to shoot it this weekend and shot around a 3" group at 12 yards

ddepedro

imported post

I think the xdm 3.8 only comes in 9mm though and i def. want a 40. I will def. look into the bersa also thanks for the tip.

mel5051

imported post

I would say also pick up a Walther P99 AS in .40 cal and compare the three of them. I have the P99 AS in 9mm and I wouldn't give it up for anything!

Mel

architect

imported post

Michigander wrote:
One other difference, which may or may not mean much to you, is that the magazine release on an XD is ambidextrous, whereas I don't believe Sig has ever made a model like that.
Sig "classic series" mag releases are reversible. Takes only a couple of minutes to switch righty to lefty and vice versa. I don't know about their polymer pistols.

Michigander

imported post

architect wrote:
Sig "classic series" mag releases are reversible. Takes only a couple of minutes to switch righty to lefty and vice versa. I don't know about their polymer pistols.
That is interesting, didn't know that. But the XD still has an advantage in that no time has to be taken to switch anything, because a push one way or the other drops the mag.