• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi, just introducing myself and what-not...

AlvinDChipmunk

imported post

Greeting fellow patriots!

My name is Alvin and I live in San Diego County. I recently received an email talking about this group so I thought I would at least join its discussion forum.

As for the type of gun I would like to open carry, it would be actually the first pistol I have purchased. It is an H&K 45 Tactical with those over-sized iron sights. A friend of mine nicknamed those sights "Old Man Sights" because they are so huge.

I've been having problems locating an acceptable holster for that. The standard H&K USP holsters won't fit because the front blade sight is easily 1/4 inch shorter than mine. I can find thigh holsters engineered for the Mk 23, which fit my pistol nicely, but if I read the rules right, open carry is supposed to be for belt holsters.

So, I'd like to ask this forum how can I get to participate with this cause with my first pistol??

Sincerely,
Alvin

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AlvinDChipmunk wrote:
So, I'd like to ask this forum how can I get to participate with this cause with my first pistol??
Well, first you get yourself a red hoodie with a big "A" on the front...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

The California guys will be able to answer your questions better than I.

Hunt around the California sub-forum for the legalities like carry in unincorporated areas and things like the pesky "(e)check" which refers to section "e" of a statute that lets cops inspect your gun.

Also, you can view two videos that are real handy to know:

Busted: A Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Talking to Police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

chewy352

imported post

Many people here in CA use thigh holsters. While "thigh holsters" are not specifically mentioned in the PC (Penal Code) they are still not in any way concealed. Also I don't think I have ever seen a thigh holster that doesn't attach to your belt as well.

PC 12025 (f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed
within the meaning of this section.

This is just an example of what is not concealed. An act is only illegal if there is a law that says it is. There is no law that says a thigh holster is illegal so therefore it is legal.

Welcome to OCDO continue your research, asking questions,and don't rush into carrying. Some people may get short with you on your questions but it's not meant to be rude it's just from having to answer questions repeatedly. If Gundude gives you sh!* just ignore him. He's old and grumpy because he still has socks from the beginning of time. :cool:

**edit to add link to red section**

leoffensive

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Many people here in CA use thigh holsters. While "thigh holsters" are not specifically mentioned in the PC (Penal Code) they are still not in any way concealed. Also I don't think I have ever seen a thigh holster that doesn't attach to your belt as well.

PC 12025 (f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed
within the meaning of this section.

This is just an example of what is not concealed. An act is only illegal if there is a law that says it is. There is no law that says a thigh holster is illegal so therefore it is legal.

Welcome to OCDO continue your research, asking questions,and don't rush into carrying. Some people may get short with you on your questions but it's not meant to be rude it's just from having to answer questions repeatedly. If Gundude gives you sh!* just ignore him. He's old and grumpy because he still has socks from the beginning of time. :cool:

**edit to add link to red section**

damnit chewy! buy him new socks! wasnt this discussed in @ the swing inn?

Gundude

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
If Gundude gives you sh!* just ignore him. He's old and grumpy because he still has socks from the beginning of time. :cool:

MOI? Give someone sh!t? You must be thinking of someone else. He's right about the socks. They are old enough to vote.

Be careful about UOC'ing. There are manypitfalls in Calif. For example: You can carry on Sunday between 2 and 4pm, but only if you went to church on the 4 previous Sundays, and voted for Donald Duck in the previous election.

AlvinDChipmunk

imported post

Thanks guys for all the posts! I've been learning a lot of stuff about carry and weapons laws in general.

One really noticeable trend I saw in the codes you gave a link for was the prevalence of ninja and martial arts themed weapons like nunchaku and a mis-spelled ninja weapon shobi-zue, which should be spelled shinobi-zue. Are these law makers that weapons phobic that they are scared of even ancient ones that require ten to twenty times the amount of training compared to what is needed to use a firearm effectively?? From what I've learned from some "5000 Year Leap" classes is that only dishonest and corrupt politicians and criminals fear an armed populace. My gosh, how things have strayed from the original intent of the Constitution.

So, it looks like I would like to show up to a future San Diego county open carry event. I'll try to get a holster before then. Worst case scenario my guess would be that I have an empty holster, the pistol locked up in the trunk of my car, and have full ten round ammo clips on my belt. That should be legal, right??

Again, thank you all for your input so far. I look forward for more info on this thread when more people are awake and most likely bored at work on Monday...

As for the red hoodie, I should upload to this group what I normally wear to the San Diego Comic Con for the last fifteen (15) years. That costume may not be open carry friendly, but then again, the costume wasn't meant to be a combat based attire.

Sincerely,
Alvin

wewd

imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Speaking of Comic Con, I think it would be incredibly easy to UOC there. A lot of people show up with Airsoft guns as part of their costume, and I've seen more than a few that could pass for real (and may have been), and I've never seen any of the police or security check a gun that anyone carried. I'll be there Friday, but probably not UOC, since I don't cosplay.

Decoligny

imported post

Gundude wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
If Gundude gives you sh!* just ignore him. He's old and grumpy because he still has socks from the beginning of time. :cool:

MOI? Give someone sh!t? You must be thinking of someone else. He's right about the socks. They are old enough to vote.

Be careful about UOC'ing. There are manypitfalls in Calif. For example: You can carry on Sunday between 2 and 4pm, but only if you went to church on the 4 previous Sundays, and voted for Donald Duck in the previous election.
I thought it was voted "AS" Donald Duck. At least that's what the Acorn guys told me. :lol:

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey alvin "D"

Welcome to OCDO. I am new here as well and I think it's great. As for a thigh rig which I preferI'm not sure of the legal aspect. As for a holster which will clear your front sight, if you have not already found something check Blackhawk Serpa II retention holster. Mine has a pronounced groove for sight clearance that clears my Glock model 21 .45cal. It has about an extra 1/4" I use a paddle holster, but it comes with a belt fixture and I think it is available as a thigh rig as well. Check blackhawk.com.

Again welcome, Defensor