Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how often do you oc?

Post imported post

I've been reading the experiences section, and it seems like most people here rarely oc?

I've been ocing all day every day since I got my cpl.

how often do you? if you don't do it every day, why not?

pros, cons?

Post imported post

I OC everyday, everywhere I legally can. The only place I don't OC is at church because I was asked not to so I CC there.

Post imported post

as much as it pains me to admit, i havent had the cajones to OC yet...
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.Mahatma Ghandhi

Post imported post

In the winter, not much at all. In the summer, every day.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

It's difficult to OC in the winter. I've always been a casual CCWer even before I was positive of all the legalities of OC. People just don't notice.

Post imported post

Yeah, it's the winter thing for me too. My coat covers my gun and unless I'm sitting in a restaurant I usually leave my coat on. So my wintertime OC experiences drop off dramatically.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Not only that, but most of us don't post our every day OC experiences. My daily posts would be pretty boring and a waste of the intrawebs. I usually only post something there when there is something to tell. Thankfully, there really hasn't been much to tell lately.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

It's hard to OC in the winter, so it happens less often for me in these cold months.

But I also work in a job that does not permit carry at all (I work for a university), and I also take public transportation to work (no car to leave the firearm in), thus I cannot carry very often.

I will, however, carry on some evenings and most weekends.

It's not as regular in the wintertime, but once it warms up a bit, I OC frequently.

Post imported post

I tend to write on here everytime I OC. Sure it adds to the pages, but 1) thats what its there for, and 2) I want people to see that most experiences are boring. If I were to post on here only when I have something happen then I would have only posted like 4-5 OC experiences and most of them would have been negative. Since it is the winter, it is harder to OC due to my coat. I OC anytime I can, and rarely CC.

Post imported post

Like others have mentioned... it's winter and cold so my OC opportunities have also become limited... unless I want to freeze my old butt.

However, I continue to leave my jacket/coat open and pay no attention to the sidearm becoming visible if the jacket/coat happens to expose it. And I remove my jacket/coat inside buildings when I get warm and OC.

I have longed for OC to become commonplace ever since the summer of 2000 when I first began to OC. And OpenCarry.org is making great strides to do exactly that.

As are the folks who OC daily... or OC once in a while... or OC only in places they are comfortable with. Every time someone OCs the freedom our Founding Fathers envisioned is rescued just a tiny bit more from the control freak leftists.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    I've been reading the experiences section, and it seems like most people here rarely oc?

If we're going by posts intheexperiences section, how often does it appear that *you*OC? :P

For a lot of folks, including me, as it becomes more routine there are less and less posts, unless something notable happens. I'm not saying this is right.The lurkers and new people should get the proper sense that most OC'ing goes fine and is uneventful. But lack of posting due toOC being routine andnothing happening is a fact.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

In the winter I transition back and forth allot.. I also forget to post my experiences a good share of the time.

So I do OC a good deal... I just have no problems around Van Buren and Berrian County so really it is very uneventful...
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I'll admit that I only OC during MOC events. (I live in Warren, can you blame me honestly?)

I do however, fully support the right to OC with time and energy, and helping assist MOC however I can.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    I'll admit that I only OC during MOC events. (I live in Warren, can you blame me honestly?)

I do however, fully support the right to OC with time and energy, and helping assist MOC however I can.

When somebody decides to"admit" not OCing (much or at all) always strikes me as a consequence of forum (or subforum) political correctness.

I supposeits due to the people who are very fervent about relating actual OC behavior to some kind of validity in supporting gun rights. Some even suggest that certain people should not even belong to OCDO unless they are known to be OCers. Such suggesters don't often think about the situational constraints that may need to be dealt with (state, city, workplace, etc.). Or they're trying to do a class thang--I OC 24/7 so I'm bettah than U.

I think that, as malignity mentions, supporting OC in theory and principle is plenty good forall OCDO members.

MOC, btw, is a nicely evolving advocacy effort and I like to read about its events and successes. Gotta give you all some props. Good work, gentlemen.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

pros, cons?
    I know a few people that OC, We just dont take the time to post evertime we do it. I haven`t even posted in there, But I only had two incidents with the police while I was OC. But most of the people on here know about it, Even made the Jackson Citizen Patroit HAHA.

I OC everyday, Everwhere I go, Due to the fact that I dont have a CPL yet. But I will have mine by the time the year is up. Winter months do make it a bit harder to OC, But I have got thru the winter OCing. And am glad the summer is coming now, Much easier to OC and not have to worry about clothing fall over the Gun.

Pros - I can carry a Gun, Most of the places I go to. And am exercising one of are rights.

Cons - Very hard to keep the Gun open with a heavy coat on, And the Gun gets cold hanging outside.

But the cons I have of OCing are only during the winter months.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    whenever my shirt/coat comes up far enough to see it.
    not much in the winter due to the heavy clothes.
    but in the warm months, whenever i dont feel like wearing my slide holster.
    i dont like having to tuck my shirt in so i plan on ocing with my shoulder holster when it gets warm.

Post imported post

RabbiVJ wrote:
    as much as it pains me to admit, i havent had the cajones to OC yet...
    If you don't feel comfortable and confident OCing, DON'T DO IT!. There is nothing more serious you can do that choosing to carry a deadly weapon. You need to be completely positive it's right for you if you want to carry, and you need to choose your method of carry carefully too.

Lately, I haven't been OCing nearly as much as I'd like. There is the fact I'm in school, which cuts down on time I can OC without getting expelled, and it obviously reduces my legal ability to CC. There is also work, which I've been rather busy with lately. and it's caused me to CC so as to avoid offending customers.

I do try make it a point to OC while out jogging at nights, and I try to OC while at stores, but sometimes I find it too much of a hassle to switch rigs from a non retention CC rig to my Safariland, so I end up CCing while out and about.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I do OC at times but as a general rule I CC “personal choice” I just feel for me it gives me a better tactical advantage and /or the element of surprise on my side and after all the reason I carry a gun is for protection.
    I have read just about everything on this site that I can and I do read it everyday and it has help me decide what is right for me.
    THANK YOU ALL
    P.S. Anyone wish to meet for coffee some time? I’m in Jackson.

Post imported post

easy wrote:
    I just left Kimberguy a message to see if he wants to meet up at the Corona smoke shop sometime this week. Would you like to meet up there. I think they have a coffee machine.

Post imported post

easy wrote:
    I do OC at times but as a general rule I CC
    Most OC'ers alsofall along the carry spectrum between OC and CC (where allowed), rather than being 100% OC. Many do both at the same time (primary open, BUG concealed).

As you mention, personal tactical considerations are taken into account by everyone. I've never met an OC'er who said, "Well, I OC even when I don't feel tactically comfortable OC'ing."

Situational awareness is, by far, the greatest tactical advantage. Surprise is a good tactical advantage after a crime is in progress, but if you are situationally aware enough to be subconsciously identifyingpotential perpetrators, watching their actions, and covering them well before anything happens, then it doesn't matter if you are OC'ing or CC'ing. In fact, OC'ing means you'll be quicker to pinning them with the threat of lethal force if necessary.

I'd rather be fully situationally aware and quickest to the draw than anything else, personally.

Thanks for your view on your personal tactical choice. Interesting discussion.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I just got a thigh rig for my .357 my by dan reagan(great work) which will make it alot easier for me to OC in the colder months, the only CON to my 357 is its over double the weight than my glock and less than half the rounds, apart from that, sweet piece with amazing balistics.

Devery

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    easy wrote:
    I just left Kimberguy a message to see if he wants to meet up at the Corona smoke shop sometime this week. Would you like to meet up there. I think they have a coffee machine.
    sure, i would like that

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    easy wrote:
    I do OC at times but as a general rule I CC
    Most OC'ers alsofall along the carry spectrum between OC and CC (where allowed), rather than being 100% OC. Many do both at the same time (primary open, BUG concealed).

As you mention, personal tactical considerations are taken into account by everyone. I've never met an OC'er who said, "Well, I OC even when I don't feel tactically comfortable OC'ing."

Situational awareness is, by far, the greatest tactical advantage. Surprise is a good tactical advantage after a crime is in progress, but if you are situationally aware enough to be subconsciously identifyingpotential perpetrators, watching their actions, and covering them well before anything happens, then it doesn't matter if you are OC'ing or CC'ing. In fact, OC'ing means you'll be quicker to pinning them with the threat of lethal force if necessary.

I'd rather be fully situationally aware and quickest to the draw than anything else, personally.

Thanks for your view on your personal tactical choice. Interesting discussion.
    Dirty Harry Said It Best

“A Man Has Got To Know His Limitations”

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    easy wrote:

I oc evertime I leave the house unless I am in an ambulance!!!!ill be there dont smoke or drink coffee but ill be there

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I OC almost everyday. Winter is a little less. Many people just don't post every single OC experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast