• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a school - suggestions

Trainer

imported post

I am aware that oc in pfz is allowed with a cpl. I have 2 elementary age sons whom I drop off at school in the mornings & when the weather is nice, we'll be walking instead of driving. Any suggestions from people who oc at schools? Have a pre-carry discussion with County Sheriff, Local Chief, then school principal? Last thing I want is a mwg call & having my kids see that; plus, I'm a local business owner so that wouldn't be great for business.

I don't feel the schools here are dangerous. It's just the extra handling to remove/store/reconceal is ridiculous + when walking, I would simply continue on to my shop so there wouldn't be anywhere to store a pistol.

THway

imported post

The best thing that I or anyone else can say is, know the laws and know your rights, and then assert them. Above all, have and keep your faith in knowing that you are doing all that you can within the law to protect yourself and your children.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Trainer wrote:
I am aware that oc in pfz is allowed with a cpl.  I have 2 elementary age sons whom I drop off at school in the mornings & when the weather is nice, we'll be walking instead of driving.  Any suggestions from people who oc at schools?  Have a pre-carry discussion with County Sheriff, Local Chief, then school principal?  Last thing I want is a mwg call & having my kids see that; plus, I'm a local business owner so that wouldn't be great for business. 

I don't feel the schools here are dangerous.  It's just the extra handling to remove/store/reconceal is ridiculous + when walking, I would simply continue on to my shop so there wouldn't be anywhere to store a pistol.

This is one situation that WILL get blown out of proportion by someone. I will say that I HAVE carried at a school before without issue, but it was a fairly small town (Otsego, MI) and I knew the principal and many of the teachers, and they know me fairly well, too.

If you want this to go smoothly, I would recommend letting the principal/administrator know in advance that you intend on carrying openly, and possibly the local police as well. NOTE: This isn't a permission letter. This is just to let them know. You should include the applicable laws (Show that 28.425o ONLY applies to concealed carry, 750.234d ONLY applies to those without CPLs, and 123.1102 prohibits local ordinances that say otherwise).

Other than that, you should be free to carry.

malignity

imported post

Another tip, buy a voice recorder.

You WILL use it if you OC at a school. I hate to say it, but at a school especially, there's going to be tons of MWAG calls to 911, regardless of if you tell them ahead of time or not.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

malignity wrote:
Another tip, buy a voice recorder.

You WILL use it if you OC at a school. I hate to say it, but at a school especially, there's going to be tons of MWAG calls to 911, regardless of if you tell them ahead of time or not.

And you know this How? We have had a few people OC in schools with zero issues. Can you cite wherea Michigan OCerhad this happen?

If the school is near the street and you don't have to enter the school to check the kids in you can always stay on the sidewalk until they are inside.You could try this and see what happens or doesn't happen. From there you could move farther onto school property and finally enter the school.

Or you could approach the Principal or superintendent and explain the law, etc. and get their permission.

Schools are not covered by preemption and can ask you to leave and not bring a gun onto their property.

Trainer

imported post

I didn't realize that public schools where I had legitimate business (dropping kids off, functions, games, etc) were considered private property per se & could restrict firearms above state law. I highly doubt they will allow it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

edit: I knew pre-emption doesn't apply to universities/colleges, but thought public schools (k-12) were covered.

THway

imported post

Trainer wrote:
I didn't realize that public schools where I had legitimate business (dropping kids off, functions, games, etc) were considered private property per se & could restrict firearms above state law. I highly doubt they will allow it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

edit: I knew pre-emption doesn't apply to universities/colleges, but thought public schools (k-12) were covered.
I do not consider public schools private property period. If my tax money goes to support the building, teachers, and buy stuff for the students, then it is a community ran, government funded public school.

Michigander

imported post

It's kind of like at a state run old folks home or the inside of a prison. It may be public property, but you don't necessarily have a right to be there. If you don't have a legit reason to be on the property, the people in charge should be able to give you the boot off the property.

One of the hottest issues with schools, to me, is voting. I don't know off hand, but I bet there are federal and state laws mandating that you be allowed to vote. And certainly nothing in any law I've ever heard of would allow a school administrator or police officer to kick you off school grounds for trying to vote while OCing with a CPL.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Trainer wrote:

It not that it isn't public property, it is (unless a private school) it's a question of what entity controls the property. The local unit of government doesn't control the property like it does atownship hall, or library or park. SoI think it's a grey area until something can be cited that show it's a local unit of government thereby falling under the preemption statute.

THway

imported post

Venator wrote:
Trainer wrote:

It not that it isn't public property, it is (unless a private school) it's a question of what entity controls the property. The local unit of government doesn't control the property like it does atownship hall, or library or park. SoI think it's a grey area until something can be cited that show it's a local unit of government thereby falling under the preemption statute.
My mind set is this:

Public schools are ran by the school board, which consist of elected officials. If I vote for who should get what position on the schools board, then it is in essence, a branch of a local unit of government, since those sitting on the school board get payed partially from the schools lump of money, but also from local money as well.

Just sayin......

conservative85

imported post

I don't know about all people on this Site, but I have a legitimate reason to be on the school grounds. The law says that from age 6-16, My child has to attend school. So dropping off, picking up, voting, Parent teacher conferences, Boyscout Meetings, all are Legitimate reasons to be there!

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
Trainer wrote:

Maybe so, but the local unit of government will be the ones enforcing it, and unless it's simple trespass, they would be in violation would they not?

ghostrider

imported post

THway wrote:
Venator wrote:
Trainer wrote:

My mind set is this:

Public schools are ran by the school board, which consist of elected officials. If I vote for who should get what position on the schools board, then it is in essence, a branch of a local unit of government, since those sitting on the school board get payed partially from the schools lump of money, but also from local money as well.

Just sayin......
Follow the chain of command. Who/what do/does the board answer to?

I doubt it's the local Mayor.

Most likely the state Board Of Education I'd guess.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I was involved with a case today where the judge said that OC on a school property was illegal under 28.4250, with or without a CPL. And the attorney general opinion was not law.

But someone today pointed this law out to me, so It can go either way.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

ghostrider

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I was involved with a case today where the judge said that OC on a school property was illegal under 28.4250, with or without a CPL. And the attorney general opinion was not law.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
I remember a few years back Jim Simmons saying something about a judge in a case he worked taking a similar stance. It's sad when the judges decide that they don't care what the law says, and are just going to do whatever pleases their own agenda. MCL 28.425o (it's "o", not "0") in no way prohibits or even addresses OC, but this judge just up and decides that he can pass legislation.

Kangaroo judge.

mpearce

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:

Sec. 234d.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(b) A peace officer.
I remember a few years back Jim Simmons saying something about a judge in a case he worked taking a similar stance. It's sad when the judges decide that they don't care what the law says, and are just going to do whatever pleases their own agenda. MCL 28.425o (it's "o", not "0") in no way prohibits or even addresses OC, but this judge just up and decides that he can pass legislation.

Kangaroo judge.
The judge had stated that concealed carry on a school when you are not dropping off or picking up your child who goes there is a violation, such as taking your child, who does not attend the school to play on the playground. I don't believe the judge ever addressed the open carry issue as he clearly said something like "while I find that you were carrying on your hip, I also find that you covered your firearm with your shirt."The judgewas focusing totally on the concealed carry violation.

Trainer

imported post

Thanks for all the great replies/discussion. I'll have to think about how to proceed. One thing is for sure, it would have to OC with ZERO chance of someone thinking/saying it was concealed or partially concealed.

DanM

imported post

mpearce wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I don't believe the judge ever addressed the open carry issue as he clearly said something like "while I find that you were carrying on your hip, I also find that you covered your firearm with your shirt."The judgewas focusing totally on the concealed carry violation.

Stainless,

Melissa seems to credibly contradict, or at least significantly correct,your assertion about what the judge said. Is she correct?

ghostrider

imported post

DanM wrote:
mpearce wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I don't believe the judge ever addressed the open carry issue as he clearly said something like "while I find that you were carrying on your hip, I also find that you covered your firearm with your shirt."The judgewas focusing totally on the concealed carry violation.

Stainless,

Melissa seems to credibly contradict, or at least significantly correct,your assertion about what the judge said. Is she correct?
Yes (thanks Melissa), she does.

That is fare different than saying that, "...OC on school property violated 28.425o. "

Big difference.