• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Several gun owners are Darwin Award nominees

Hendo

imported post

Good news or bad - not sure:

Nominee No. 1:(San Jose Mercury News): An unidentified man, using a shotgun like a club to break a former girlfriend's windshield, accidentally shot himself to death when the gun discharged, blowing a hole in his gut.

Nominee No. 3:(Hickory DailyRecord): Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death in December in Newton, NC. Awakening to the sound of a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone but grabbedinstead a Smith & Wesson 38 Special, which discharged when he drew itto his ear.

Nominee No.6:A cigarette lighter may have triggered a fatal explosionin Dunkirk, IN. A Jay Countryman, using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel of a muzzle loader, was killed Monday night when the weapon discharged in his face, sheriffs' investigators said. Gregory David Pryor, 19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home at about 11:30 PM. Investigators said Pryor was cleaning a 54-caliber muzzle-loader that had not been firing properly. He was using the lighter to look into thebarrel when the gunpowder ignited.

Finally, THE WINNER!:(ArkansasDemocrat Gazette): Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38early Monday. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and BillyRay Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, were returning to Des Arc after a frog catching trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Pooles pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuseon the older-model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse wasnotavailable, Wallis noticed that the 22 caliber bullets from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossingthe river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged, and struck Poolein the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exiting the pavement, and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles which will never operate again as intended.

Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off, or we might both be dead," stated Wallis.

"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how thisaccident happened," said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia (Poole's wife) asked how many frogs the boys hadcaught and did anyone get them from the truck. Priorities, after all!

Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole did, in fact, effectively remove himself from the gene pool.

I can't seem to verify thesebut they made me cringe/laugh so...

sirpuma

imported post

Myth Busters covered the bullet as a fuse deal. While the .22 works great as a fuse it took a major short in the system to get the bullet to set off. Even then out of several dozen attempts their dummy managed to get hit in the lower abdomen area only once with enough material and force to break the skin. Their conclusion was that while it is possible, the chances of it actually happening was extremely rare.

They also did research on the story and found that it's just another urban legend.

Decoligny

imported post

This is BS sent out by antis to make gun owners look stupid. While there are some stupid gun owners, they don't "dramatically" off themselves with anything like the regularity show above.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

There is an average of less than one gun related Darwin Award nominee per year.