• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man With a Gun Call, Shots fired by police in Centralia

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Just heard this does anyone know whats going on? There was no more description, other than suspicious activity, and man with a gun call. And shots fired by LEO.

G27

imported post

King 5 reported that there is a man held in a bank in Centralia. There wasn't really too much information except that SWAT was surrounding the building. Shots were fired when the responding officer arrived but as far as they know, no one was injured.

Batousaii

imported post

Just this little piece.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/northwest/story/1043067.html

- Doesn't really say if the "Man with a gun" was just standing in line, or had actually been trying to rob the place. If he was just there trying to do some legit banking, and got shot by a LEO for simply being in a bank (standing in line or at the counter)with a legal arm, well, that would be a MAJOR lawsuit if the guy survives.

- If he was there robbing the place, then maybe it was quick thinking/reaction on part of the LEO. Unfortunately, no real info as of now.... i'd have to hope it is a Bad-Guy being shot.

Bat.

P.S. This was just added: "(officer)Panco says the credit union was not open and police aren't sure how the man entered."

DaemonForce

imported post

Damn this makes me feel bad. Would this kind of situation be mitigated if everyone here carried a gun? It's possible, but since no one seems to know how the guy got in there to begin with, I'm going to cast doubt. :uhoh:

I get two hamburgers, a sandwich and a coffee and come back to this ruckus going on. The more stupid stuff I count off, the more I lean towards the idea of purchasing a firearm. :(

Ninja Edit: What's wrong with this post?

o_O

Kildars

imported post

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22333016/detail.html

CENTRALIA, Wash. -- [/b]A SWAT team has surrounded a bank in Centralia where a man held a gun to an employee's head in what appeared to be a robbery attempt, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.Police said a woman who was opening a back door at the bank was accosted by a man who held a gun to her head.Centralia police spokesman John Panko said officers responded at Twin Star Credit Union Monday morning after receiving a call about suspicious activity at the bank, which had not yet opened.Panko said when the officer arrived at the bank, he saw a woman at door who mouthed to the officer, "He has a gun."Panko said the officer pulled the woman to safety, confronted the suspect in the doorway and then fired a shot.The officer then retreated. Police said no one else was inside the bank.Officers said the man is armed with a knife and a gun and police are watching a live video feed from inside the bank, where the man is believed to be holed up.Police are using a local radio station to relay information to the suspect, who is believed to be listening to the station inside the bank.It is unknown if the suspect was shot.Video from Chopper 7 showed SWAT officers with their guns drawn.The bank is on South Gold Street.

DaemonForce

imported post

I don't understand. This is across the street from the gas station and Muffler place. Why is the LEO now named Panko and what exactly is the man doing? He either has a firearm or a firearm and a knife.

I'm thinking this is just another case of stupid here in Lewis but I'm impressed no one can seem to keep their story straight.:what:

Edit:

Okay the LEO pulled the woman to safety and then felt the need to fire a shot into the building. Oh now it's two shots. Okay got it. Okay so the man held a knife to the woman's throat and held a gun to her head? Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
If he was just there trying to do some legit banking, and got shot by a LEO for simply being in a bank (standing in line or at the counter)with a legal arm, well, that would be a MAJOR lawsuit if the guy survives.
Wow, nothing like some good, old-fashioned speculation! Why would you even bring this "what if" scenario up?

Unfortunately, no real info as of now.... i'd have to hope it is a Bad-Guy being shot.
Should just leave it at that, until we know what is actually happening.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

And in other un-news worthy news....

No 'cougars' on Carnival cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines won't be sailing anymore with a boatload of "cougars" and their willing prey. The Miami-based company has turned down a request from a singles travel group to book another cruise with the cougar theme. The term refers to older women who date younger men.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2010786313_trbriefs17.html?prmid=obnetwork

edit: so how did I miss the first one....

Batousaii

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
If he was just there trying to do some legit banking, and got shot by a LEO for simply being in a bank (standing in line or at the counter)with a legal arm, well, that would be a MAJOR lawsuit if the guy survives.
Wow, nothing like some good, old-fashioned speculation! Why would you even bring this "what if" scenario up?

Unfortunately, no real info as of now.... i'd have to hope it is a Bad-Guy being shot.

Tisk Tisk, we dont need to berate and tell each other how to think or behave do we? All in all, we are all "speculative" creatures, as humans, it is our nature to wonder and converse in regards to a rich mystery. Now you cant tell me you've never simply stated that there are probably a couple/few base scenarios that could encompass a given (unknown) situation, and thus speculated on a scenario/outcome yourself. If you feel the need to be so poinient, then please do so with someone who wont present you a dismountingrebuke, i find it a tad rude to converse in such a manner. Not intending an affront, though, i would kindly ask you consider your words.

:?Bat.

P.S. as Update: It was a robbery that got thwarted, theBG eventually got away some time during the fiasco. Claims are no one was hurt. Still a lot of confusion about particulars in the course of events... love how media gives just enough to really confuse everyone.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Kildars wrote:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/22333016/detail.html

CENTRALIA, Wash. -- A SWAT team has surrounded a bank in Centralia where a man held a gun to an employee's head in what appeared to be a robbery attempt, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.Police said a woman who was opening a back door at the bank was accosted by a man who held a gun to her head.Centralia police spokesman John Panko said officers responded at Twin Star Credit Union Monday morning after receiving a call about suspicious activity at the bank, which had not yet opened.Panko said when the officer arrived at the bank, he saw a woman at door who mouthed to the officer, "He has a gun."Panko said the officer pulled the woman to safety, confronted the suspect in the doorway and then fired a shot.The officer then retreated. Police said no one else was inside the bank.Officers said the man is armed with a knife and a gun and police are watching a live video feed from inside the bank, where the man is believed to be holed up.Police are using a local radio station to relay information to the suspect, who is believed to be listening to the station inside the bank.It is unknown if the suspect was shot.Video from Chopper 7 showed SWAT officers with their guns drawn.The bank is on South Gold Street.
This seems to be the most info, thanks Kildars. I am just glad it wasn't an open carrier waiting for the bank to open. Hope they catch this guy if the above posted story is how it happened.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Batousaii wrote:

Tisk Tisk, we dont need to berate and tell each other how to think or behave do we? All in all, we are all "speculative" creatures, as humans, it is our nature to wonder and converse in regards to a rich mystery. Now you cant tell me you've never simply stated that there are probably a couple/few base scenarios that could encompass a given (unknown) situation, and thus speculated on a scenario/outcome yourself. If you feel the need to be so poinient, then please do so with someone who wont present you a dismountingrebuke, i find it a tad rude to converse in such a manner. Not intending an affront, though, i would kindly ask you consider your words.

P.S. as Update: It was a robbery that got thwarted, theBG eventually got away some time during the fiasco. Claims are no one was hurt. Still a lot of confusion about particulars in the course of events... love how media gives just enough to really confuse everyone.

I thought plenty before adding my comment. If you don't want anything said about what you think or how you behave (esp. on the internet), then don't say or do anything. I know that. Want a "rich mystery?" Read a Sherlock Holmes book.

Considering the first post on this thread was at 8:59am (meaning that whatever incident had occurred or was occuring started at least a few minutes before that), I ask you what credit union or bank that is in a building by itself (not the inside-grocery store ones) is open prior to 9AM? Speculate now who would be doing "legitimate business" while armed, inside a bank prior to business hours?

It would be "poignant" of you to realize it is some people's nature to speculate, while others are wise to not comment on things until real information is available. The media gives just enough to "confuse everyone" if "everyone" is trying to put their own puzzle togetherout of the fragments of information available. Again, others wait. No wonder I spend less and less time on this board. It's full of speculation and generalization.

Batousaii

imported post

Still no reason to be rude to those whom you claim to share a common goal with.... especially when it is unwarranted and un-provoked. This would simply cause to make anuncomfortble situationto those you might meet in person someday, as many of this forum do actually meet in person, (not just an Internet forum) thus politeness should be a precursor, not an after though.. unless one was simply two-faced in nature.

- i live under the rule that an armed society is a polite society, and i keep it in practice as much as possible.

- i have not been rude to you, and i would appreciate the courtesy in return kind sir.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

If my comments offended you, I'm sorry you feel that way.In no way was thatmy intention. I also have no control over how you feel. The intention is to show you that you might have a tendency to over-speculate, which is especially counter-productive on a board where the facts are what is absolutely pertinent in OC situations, not what someone might "think" or "feel." I feel threatened by that MWAG over there that is minding his own business...

Generalizations and speculation are especially poison when dealing with gun rights and the expression of those rights. Entire organizations and pieces of legislation are based on generalizations and speculations about guns and gun owners. That is the reasoning why I feel that in the interest of "our common goal" we should not join ourselvesin those harmful practices.

I would not feel "uncomfortable" meeting you. I would feel uncomfortable meeting you if someone from the media was to take some of your comments and generalize that all gun owners on OCDO(myself included) try toturn every bank robbery a gun-rights debate, or think that anytime a cop shoots at an armed person there will be a lawsuit involved.Then it would be awkward meeting you.

If we wish for people to simply look at the facts about OC, CC, and gun ownership overall (and ignore the speculation and generalization), I feel it is only appropriate to hold ourselves to that same standard. I don't think that is unreasonable. Do you?

DaemonForce

imported post

I love tonight's paper. The woman "mouthed" to the officer that "he has a gun!" :what:

ZOMGBBQ! I'll pull you to safety, little girl! Yes! I don't see who or what has a gun but since the adrenaline is already nagging me I'll just take your word for it and confront him immediately. Time to unleash carnage! :?

*single shot fired...* (or was it two? Who fired the shots?)

*Enter Local SWAT, News crews, State Patrol, SP SWAT...etc.*

A mic toss and three flashbangs later, where is this guy? Maybe he fled when the shot was fired? Maybe theradio was left on to create a false presence? Maybe he gotsick of trying the vaultand went home for a sammich? Was there really a gunman? We'll never know. I do know that this is very similar to last year's robbery when a guy took some money and left the two tellers in the vault. That wasafter New Year'sand if I remember right it was around the same part of the morning this one started. Another miraculous job where no one was hurt. It starts out simple and at the end of the day nobody has any idea what happened. SNAFU. If this happens again that Twin Star isgoing to be famous. Bleh.

Batousaii wrote:
- i live under the rule that an armed society is a polite society, and i keep it in practice as much as possible.
Ah, asocial organism that evolves with 90% less griefcompared to...Here.The way I see it, armed societyhas tobe everyone. Since we have an unnecessarythird class of people in our system that legally cannot complete this rule(on top ofweird infringements), there has to be a drastic change or this goal cannot and will not be accomplished. Still, armed or not, I'moften more rude than the larger percentage butthisdoesn't usually solve much(besides senselessly beating the truth into the nextidiot). It seems that a polite society doesn't have any room to start any trouble so I guess that's anotherway to interpretthis rule.

My stance is this: No matter what social entity you have, bad stuff happens everywhere and cannot be avoided. It can be mitigated but not avoided. This is why an unarmed society simply will not work. I don't care to argue that an armed society is polite just like way back when.I don't evenfeel the needto prove that an armed societybears less grief(which it does). The alternative is too simple:

An unarmed society is a dead one.

Thankfully we don't live in such a society.I just wonder how many more rampant psychos, terrorists and homicides it's going to take to make the truth blatantly obvious to everyone. I know if something isn't done soon this country is going to tear in half.

kito109654

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Batousaii wrote:

X2. I hate the speculation before the facts.

kito109654

imported post

Well that's dandy but the details would still be nice. Hopefully a video means that the details will be accurate...unlike most of the reporting we've seen lately.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

You would think with all the money in the banking business they would be able to afford good quality cameras....I love the closeup of the officer pointing a gun though.