• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just doing some thinking...

ESCH

imported post

I was just doing some thinking about alot of our firearms related issues here in CT. I was also doing alot of thinking about peoples perceptions of firearms here in CT. I was hoping to run some quick numbers and was hoping someone here would know if some of these figures are correct (ballpark)

In CT we have a population of about 3,500,000 people

About 25% of that number are under 18 years old. (Can't find figures for under 21.)

So that leaves about 2,625,000 people in CT over 18.

Last I heard there were about 150,000 pistol and revolver carry permits active.

So by crude ballpark math we are looking at about 5.7 (let's call it 6% for over 21) of our over 18 population has a valid pistol permit to carry.

Does this sound correct?

ESCH

imported post

Interesting...

I too started with total population numbers. But, I then figured, why would I include people who legally (by age) are not permitted to obtain a permit?

By hearing some reports, one would think we are near the saturation point for pistol permits here in CT. Yet, we are only up to a measly 6%! When you actually take the time to figure things out, often they look differently than you would expect on the face.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Recieved via email this date:

Mr. Peruta:

Currently there are 150,147 pistol permits and 36 eligibility certificates.

Sgt. Hall

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall, Esq.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

In CT 1 out of 33 people are either in jail or on parole. This means that many of these people are not eligible or if so probably not "suitable" according to the Commish.

ESCH

imported post

Is that 1 out of 33 adults or 1 out of 33 in the total population (including 0-18 years of age?)