• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"People are OK with me having a gun, because I have a badge."

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Ive heard a few times that cops feel that people are less stressed by them having a gun because they have a badge. They are right! I think we should do the same. If we had a badge on our hips next to our gun people probably wouldnt call 911, and i bet 99% of the places you walked into would not have a problem at all.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of OC? Don't you want to get the general public to get use to "regualar" non-LEO citizens carrying handguns for self defense?

Wearing a badge is counter productive to this.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Excuse a Kentuckian barging in but the badge thing is funny to me.

I am a sworn Corrections Officer and I do have a legitimate badge. HOWEVER.....I go out of my way when not on duty to CONCEAL it whilst open carrying. It is turned inward on my belt.:dude:

dirtykoala

imported post

Sometimes I want to go out for public awareness, sometimes I don't. All of the time though I want a means of defense.

yelohamr

imported post

I make my own holsters and almost everyone of them has a star concho on it. It serves two purposes, decoration and it help holds things together.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The issue at hand is the purpose for wearing the badge would be to give people the impression you are LEO so they won't call 911 on you. This is the very purpose the law is trying to prevent.

It is a good thought, but falls way short of a viable solution.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

Just "be uniform" during the event. Maybe everyone should buy a windbreaker jacket that has OCDO on the back and a pocket design on the front. Then when people see a group that is organized they may feel a little more at ease.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Generally, a badge in of it self is not illegal.

A badge that that states you of some law-enforcement, security, or other peace officer agency is illegal if you are not authorized to wear one.

So a badge that says Open Carry, Concealed Carry, and has your state's seal or some other insignia that is not of law-enforcement.

Gundude

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
I make my own holsters and almost everyone of them has a star concho on it. It serves two purposes, decoration and it help holds things together.

what's that holster made of? It doesn't look like leather. I have a little Colt .25 I was thinking of making a holster for it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

For the love of all things righteous and free...

Puh-leez... Please do not adorn yourself with the vestiges of authority if you want to carry a firearm as a sovereign and free gun owner. The shields and stars may infer that those displaying said blingare exercising some special duty orprivilegeunder the authority of gubmint- when in actuality, you have the right to do so without a badge, without a license, and yes... even without the affirmation of the 2nd in the Bill of Rights.

Army

imported post

Last time in San Diego, I wore my John Wayne belt and holster wrapped around the Sheriff's model......with my SASS badge hanging :)

Wore my big black cowboy hat and worn old poop-pounders. If anyone could equate me with a cop, they would have been more drunk than the average PB boardwalk dweller :D

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Army wrote:
Wore my big black cowboy hat and worn old poop-pounders. If anyone could equate me with a cop, they would have been more drunk than the average PB boardwalk dweller :D

Or they were hallucinating a scene out of the old west, you never know, you may get mistaken for Wild Bill Hickok. Just don't get caught holding Aces and Eights with your back to the door. :lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Just my opinion and not meaning to offend anyone.

But I don't like the idea of badges. The whole purpose of open carry is to normalize everyday folks carrying guns, and a badge defeats that purpose in my opinion. Although I do understand not wanting to be hassled. Look at your hassling as a civic duty that will help future open carriers.

Another side point is we have had several LEO's targeted and murdered here in Washington specifically because they were officers although slim chance of it happening I wouldn't want to be shot in a case of mistaken identity. Because of something that brought attention to myself like a badge.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Again, I think that the badge subject isn't as simple in the context of carry in California as it is elsewhere.

IMO there are 3 ways to look at this.

Carry/display a badge to be a mall ninja / wanna-be cop. (Lame.)

Carry/display a badge if you want to open carry in California, for the purpose of self-defense and defense of your family, and you don't want to be harassed by the police. (reasonable)

Don't carry/display a badge because you are open carrying as a public statement and are trying to normalize the presence of guns in public.

Regardless of the technical legal details, it still seems risky to carry/display a badge as you could still be accused/charged with impersonating an officer. And you most certainly will be accused of being a mall ninja, by most everyone here.

mjones

imported post

LOL, look what I found...

mallninja.gif