• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Schools/Home School

Scrub

imported post

Why can the state have a law against carrying, OC or CC, at a private school? Should that not fall under PRIVATE property rules?

And further, am I a felon because we home school and I obviously keep my guns at home?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

You cannot carry open or concealed at a private school. State law makes no distinction between public & private schools. Carrying on educational property is off limits.

EDIT: As for the homeschool thing, I don't think you have toworry about that. No one is going to tell you that youcan't carryin your ownhome just because someone is homeschooled there.

Now, if you were part of a homeschool co-opin which the students meet togetherfor classes periodically, then you would not be able to carry at the site of the classesas that is then considered educational property when it is being used for such purposes.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruger wrote:
You cannot carry open or concealed at a private school. State law makes no distinction between public & private schools. Carrying on educational property is off limits.

EDIT: As for the homeschool thing, I don't think you have toworry about that. No one is going to tell you that youcan't carryin your ownhome just because someone is homeschooled there.

Now, if you were part of a homeschool co-opin which the students meet togetherfor classes periodically, then you would not be able to carry at the site of the classesas that is then considered educational property when it is being used for such purposes.
But what if part of the home school co-op curriculum is "firearms safety training and marksmanship" or"combat arms?"

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Ruger wrote:
You cannot carry open or concealed at a private school.  State law makes no distinction between public & private schools.  Carrying on educational property is off limits.

EDIT:  As for the homeschool thing, I don't think you have to worry about that.  No one is going to tell you that you can't carry in your own home just because someone is homeschooled there. 

Now, if you were part of a homeschool co-op in which the students meet together for classes periodically, then you would not be able to carry at the site of the classes as that is then considered educational property when it is being used for such purposes. 
But what if part of the home school co-op curriculum is "firearms safety training and marksmanship" or "combat arms?"

Home schools are explicitly exempted from these prohibitions. Even if you all go have a home-school sponsored dinner or meetup at a restaurant (one that you are already allowed to carry in) or if you go to any other place that does not have a restriction that applies to carrying or how you carry, then you can carry that weapon while participating in the home schooling event. Perhaps, with many co-ops, children may go to another's home. If you are hosting, and you allow guns, then they are allowed, if you go to teach or to pick up/drop off kids at a house hold that allows the weapons, you are perfectly legal. In these cases, someone has to make it known/clear that weapons are not allowed or ask you to leave or put the gun up. It becomes a private property/trespassing issue then.

jp49911

imported post

Scrub wrote:
Why can the state have a law against carrying, OC or CC, at a private school? Should that not fall under PRIVATE property rules?

And further, am I a felon because we home school and I obviously keep my guns at home?
Ruger wrote:
I think Scrub knows this. It sounds like he's not asking if it's illegal but "why" it's illegal.

chiefjason

imported post

YOu know, it might depend on whether the school falls under this definition. I don't think homeschooling is expressly exempt, it just does not meet the legal definition of educational property.

(1) Educational property. – Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.2.html

What if you have no board of education, trustees, or directors? Just wondering out loud.

Although this part seem pretty cut and dry.

1b) School. – A public or private school, community college, college, or university.

Scrub

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
Scrub wrote:

Ruger wrote:
I think Scrub knows this. It sounds like he's not asking if it's illegal but "why" it's illegal.
You are correct sir, I am well aware of the law regarding private schools, I just wanted to find out if anyone had researched where the state gets that authority. It seems like it would be a private property issue since the state does not own, run or fund the school.

As for the homeschool comment, I guess I just did not know which icon to put after it to symbolize sarcasm.

BTW, marksmanship will be included in our homeschool curriculum. The darling daughter and I were shopping for her first shotgun just last night. :celebrate

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't understand what is being missed here and it could be me.

Home schools are explicitly exempted from weapon prohibitions. If children are in your home, you already should be meeting state regulations on keeping them safe or under your direct control at all times (in a holster for example or locked up in a safe).

There is no need for a firearms curriculum (JUST) so you can justify having the gun there. Of course, you should be teaching your kids about guns anyway.

The exemption is here (g)#3:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.2.html

Home schools are defined here, under Part 3.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_115c.html

I think the main difference between private schools and home schools is that private schools are looked at more as corporate/chartered educational properties, such as colleges and universities. Mainly due to the fact that they may have quite a few children to instruct. Home schools are meant to be very small and involve just the children of a couple of families or households as defined in the general statutes.

Scrub

imported post

tekshogun wrote:

Home schools are explicitly exempted from weapon prohibitions. If children are in your home, you already should be meeting state regulations on keeping them safe or under your direct control at all times (in a holster for example or locked up in a safe).

There is no need for a firearms curriculum (JUST) so you can justify having the gun there. Of course, you should be teaching your kids about guns anyway.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_115c.html

I think the main difference between private schools and home schools is that private schools are looked at more as corporate/chartered educational properties, such as colleges and universities. Mainly due to the fact that they may have quite a few children to instruct. Home schools are meant to be very small and involve just the children of a couple of families or households as defined in the general statutes.
All of the homeschool comments were generally sarcastic in nature. I know there is no law against guns in my home just becasue we homeschool. I store them in a manner that my wife and I deem safe. We do not actually have a "firearms curriculum" again me and my sarcasm. I just mentioned it because I stopped to check on an ammo shipment and my daughter wanted to look at a shotgun so she can start practicing for hunting with me next fall.

My only real question is why can the state have that restriction on PRIVATE schools, my point being that they should not have that kind of authority over a property/entity that they do not own or operate. If anyone has any idea regarding where they derive said authority, I would like to hear it, because I have been unable to locate any information in that regard. I realize the state has certain requirements to be a private school, and as such it does become "educational property" but I don't see how they derive that kind of authority from a certification of this type.

Also, FYI there is no law regarding storage of firearms that I can find in NC. Only a penalty clause of sorts if an minor gains possesion of said firearm AND commits a crime with it. I even had to sign a statement that I knew about that law to pick up my own gun from a gunsmith once. Best I can tell, you can leave it laying on the kitchen table 24/7 BUT you are responsible if a minor picks it up and commits a crime with it.

chiefjason

imported post

AH, missed the specific exemption for home schools. But I just skimmed over it since it does not meet the criteria of school anyway. I would guess that a private school has to meet state requirements. And once you're involved with the state you know how they love to get more intrusive. But there is this...

(g) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) A weapon used solely for educational or school‑sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or used in a school‑approved program conducted under the supervision of an adult whose supervision has been approved by the school authority.

There are quite a few schools in NC with shooting programs. Civilian Marksmanship Program. A buddy of mine is an Asst Coach for Davie County HS.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=NC

jp49911

imported post

Scrub wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

All of the homeschool comments were generally sarcastic in nature. I know there is no law against guns in my home just becasue we homeschool. I store them in a manner that my wife and I deem safe. We do not actually have a "firearms curriculum" again me and my sarcasm. I just mentioned it because I stopped to check on an ammo shipment and my daughter wanted to look at a shotgun so she can start practicing for hunting with me next fall.

My only real question is why can the state have that restriction on PRIVATE schools, my point being that they should not have that kind of authority over a property/entity that they do not own or operate. If anyone has any idea regarding where they derive said authority, I would like to hear it, because I have been unable to locate any information in that regard. I realize the state has certain requirements to be a private school, and as such it does become "educational property" but I don't see how they derive that kind of authority from a certification of this type.

Also, FYI there is no law regarding storage of firearms that I can find in NC. Only a penalty clause of sorts if an minor gains possesion of said firearm AND commits a crime with it. I even had to sign a statement that I knew about that law to pick up my own gun from a gunsmith once. Best I can tell, you can leave it laying on the kitchen table 24/7 BUT you are responsible if a minor picks it up and commits a crime with it.
It seems that I'm the only one who caught the sarcasm. Try some of these next time :);):D:cool::dude::lol::celebrate lol, jk, rofl, etc. etc. etc.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I'll admit much to my chagrin, I've been the subject of extreme ridicule in the past, so my sarcasm radar is often on the fritz [on guard], especially when it comes to reading online......

sovereigngrace

imported post

First off, kudos to you for home schooling.

Second I don't think we are to far away from home schoolers being considered felons for: Not socializing your kids, not giving them an adequate education, being right wing extremist, for being child abusers (for spanking our kids), Being brainwashers and so on and on. :banghead: it's quit ridicules.

And don't even get me started on the no guns in Private/public schools thing.

:cuss:

ocgso

imported post

Scrub wrote:

I agree with you about private schools (unless they choose to post).

I also think it is absurd that we cannot carry on college/university campuses. How many more Virginia Techs will it take? I teach at a college and I have had weapons brought onto my campus and twice into my classroom!!! I have no way to defend myself other than call campus police and the local sheriff. Whoop tee freakin doo, when they show up 15 minutes after I am dead what good does that do my family?

Just ridiculous:cuss::cuss:

sovereigngrace

imported post

ocgso wrote:
Scrub wrote:
Why can the state have a law against carrying,  OC or CC, at a private school?  Should that not fall under PRIVATE property rules?

I agree with you about private schools (unless they choose to post).

I also think it is absurd that we cannot carry on college/university campuses.  How many more Virginia Techs will it take?  I teach at a college and I have had weapons brought onto my campus and twice into my classroom!!!  I have no way to defend myself other than call campus police and the local sheriff.  Whoop tee freakin doo, when they show up 15 minutes after I am dead what good does that do my family?

Just ridiculous:cuss::cuss:

And what is the campus police gonna do?
Must of them in my town don't carry anything more than a mag light.
and they all drive little electric cars. :banghead:

They say students will feel safer if guns are not allowed on campus.
But I would be terrified.
All "Gun Free Zone" means to a BG is "easy kill zone"
How many innocent people have to die in "Gun Free Zones" before people will realize that an armed country is a safe country.