• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL patch spotted in Haiti!

eddyys

imported post

I would love to see who this is. Hopefully when they get some time they can come onto OCDO and post a few things about what they are seeing down there. I plan to go down in late March to really help the rebuilding process along with a co-worker. Should be a good experience.

wolf-father

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Is it actually a VCDL logo, or just a logo that also uses the Minuteman image? I can't see the details. That image has been used in a lot of places.

I looked at our patch, and the wording on the one in the photo.... they seem to match up perfectly, as does the coloring. From what I can tell, it IS our patch. Anyone in this forum know someone on the USNS Comfort, or associated flight crew? That'd be the best way to find out who it is.
There is more then just U.S helos landing on the deck at least when they first started takeing people.

Sailorcurt

imported post

I'm not buying the "photoshop" charge.

This is a copyrighted photo from a German News organization, not just some random photo from a chain e-mail.

While I admit that news organizations can and have been duped with photoshopped pictures, to what purpose would this have been done and by whom? Does some VCDL member have an inside connection in Der Spiegel?

The patch looks brand new. So? Maybe it is new. Maybe he doesn't wear it often so it stays in good condition.

I've looked at the picture very closely (using Gimp on my Mac) and, although I can't say unequivocally that it isn't a photoshop, I don't see anything that stands out to indicate that it is either.

Is the photo even plausible?

Well...yes.

The guy is obviously a US Navy aircrewman carrying the patient to the US Navy SH-60 Seahawk helicopter in the background.

Just so happens that there are several SH-60 squadrons based at Chambers Field in Norfolk Virginia. Is it unreasonable to think that some of them may be VCDL members and activists?

Per US Navy uniform regulations, the only two patches on the Naval Flight Suit that are set in stone are the breast patches which are the nametag patch (left breast) and the unit logo (right breast). The shoulder patches are optional. Most aviators wear the flag on their left shoulder (as you can see depicted on the other aviator) while the right shoulder patch is generally an aircraft type, flight hour accomplishment or other flight related patch, but could be virtually anything as long as the command doesn't object.

Furthermore, per uniform regulations, all the patches are attached by velcro. I know of many aviators (I spent 21 years in US Naval Aviation Maintenance, about half of which was in helicopters) who have multiple patches backed with velcro that they can pop onto their flight suits in a matter of seconds depending on the situation, the event or just what they felt like popping on there at the moment.

They especially have great latitude when deployed because the command leadership is concerned about getting the mission accomplished more than worrying about sticking to the technical letter of the uniform regs.

So, in summary, based upon my personal experience, my inspection of the photo and the source of the image, I believe it to be real.

Absent incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sailorcurt

imported post

True, but there have been others who have expounded on the idea and now the charge is starting to pop up in other places as if it were incontrovertible fact (an e-mail list that I am a party to for one).

And if you think for a second that the anti-gunners wouldn't use something like this to try to ding our credibility...joke or no...you haven't been paying attention.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

DocDaddy

imported post

I studied the picture and it looks real, not Photoshop enhanced (which I work with on a weekly basis), the patch is skewed, angled and contours to the arm and does have the same color brightness as the blanket, helmets are dull and faded due to being worn all the time (which all together, can't be duplicated very easily). The image has been reduced from the original file size, making it a little grainy, but it does look like the VCDL patch and it hasn’t been altered.

I did some research based off of what the journalist said in his write up that it was a helo crew from the Dragon Slayers, HS-11, which is based out of Jacksonville, FL.HS-11 does have 4 helos onboard the Carl Vinson just for the relief effort.

So, 1. It could be a Carl Vinson guy (since they just left Norfolk Naval Station just prior to thedisaster)that is assisting with the aircrew guys or 2. He was stationed up here and has since been stationed down in FL.

+1 for Sailorcurt, they have less "restrictions" when they are deployed as to what patches they can wear, from Navypilot buddy of mine and my own experiences while wearing the"non-standard" desert uniform, if I was even wearing a uniform that is.

Infidel

imported post

Sailorcurt wrote:
So, in summary, based upon my personal experience, my inspection of the photo and the source of the image, I believe it to be real.

Absent incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I concur Sailor. We (Army) do the same thing too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DocDaddy wrote:
I studied the picture and it looks real, not Photoshop enhanced (which I work with on a weekly basis), the patch is skewed, angled and contours to the arm and does have the same color brightness as the blanket, helmets are dull and faded due to being worn all the time (which all together, can't be duplicated very easily). The image has been reduced from the original file size, making it a little grainy, but it does look like the VCDL patch and it hasn’t been altered.

I did some research based off of what the journalist said in his write up that it was a helo crew from the Dragon Slayers, HS-11, which is based out of Jacksonville, FL.HS-11 does have 4 helos onboard the Carl Vinson just for the relief effort.

So, 1. It could be a Carl Vinson guy (since they just left Norfolk Naval Station just prior to thedisaster)that is assisting with the aircrew guys or 2. He was stationed up here and has since been stationed down in FL.

+1 for Sailorcurt, they have less "restrictions" when they are deployed as to what patches they can wear, from Navypilot buddy of mine and my own experiences while wearing the"non-standard" desert uniform, if I was even wearing a uniform that is.
I'm not saying it isn't. There is no way to tell at this point. I work with PS daily and it doesn't look real to me. The biggest difference is the clarity. The helmet looks slightly out of focus and I expect because of the movement. The patch is not.

As to duplicating the color of the helmet...it is a two click procedure to get an exact match.

I'm not sure why you'd throw that in because the patch shouldn't match the helmet. I'd know for sure it was a fake then.

The patch does look too crisp to me. But we'll never know for sure.

Sailorcurt

imported post

You're full of it.

Look at the flag patch on the other aviator's sleeve. it isn't blurry either.

Might have something to do with the fact that this wasn't a posed shot but was taken while the aviators were in motion. Gee, look at their feet, they're REALLY blurry. Are their feet must be photoshopped in as well.

Or...maybe different parts of their bodies were moving at different speeds, sort of like what can happen when performing clumsy tasks like...oh...I don't know...carrying a stretcher?

You may use photoshop every day, but you apparently don't know jack about photography.

But hey, since you are the conpsiracy theorist who insists that it looks fake to you, I'll give you a chance to address the obvious question: why would Reuters or Der Spiegel photoshop a VCDL patch onto a US Military member or, alternatively, how they would have ended up with a such a photoshopped picture on their site?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sailorcurt wrote:
You're full of it.

Look at the flag patch on the other aviator's sleeve. it isn't blurry either.

Might have something to do with the fact that this wasn't a posed shot but was taken while the aviators were in motion. Gee, look at their feet, they're REALLY blurry. Are their feet must be photoshopped in as well.

Or...maybe different parts of their bodies were moving at different speeds, sort of like what can happen when performing clumsy tasks like...oh...I don't know...carrying a stretcher?

You may use photoshop every day, but you apparently don't know jack about photography.

But hey, since you are the conpsiracy theorist who insists that it looks fake to you, I'll give you a chance to address the obvious question: why would Reuters or Der Spiegel photoshop a VCDL patch onto a US Military member or, alternatively, how they would have ended up with a such a photoshopped picture on their site?
Edited, be happy to repeat it in person

GQflyboy

imported post

Flight Crew can wear all kinds of crazy patches. I managed to acquire one in Japan that is a Japanese Green Bay Packers one. But normally that spot is used for the Unit they are attached to, or if deployed, there Squadron. (USAF standards) But I can't say for sure about the Navy.

Q

DocDaddy

imported post

peter nap wrote:
DocDaddy wrote: As to duplicating the color of the helmet...it is a two click procedure to get an exact match.

* I'm not sure why you'd throw that in because the patch shouldn't match the helmet. I'd know for sure it was a fake then.

The patch does look too crisp to me. But we'll never know for sure.

peter nap: From your earlier post: ...the only real question I have is in the coloration. Look at the bandage or the white spots on the sheet or his helmet....for that matter, any white spot in the picture. Compare it to the patch.

Either the patch is brand new or he is the cleanest fellow over there....or it's layered on and they didn't blend it in.

*The above black bold is the reason I responded that the coloration is consistant with other white items in the picture, not comparing it to the helmet for the obvious reasons.

The patch and everything else in the picture has the same grainy consistancy.

P.S.- Contactedtheaircrew memeber listedand he said " I'm not sure about the patch, but I can tell you that is not me in the picture, nor an aircraft from my squadron. I'm pretty sure that that the aircraft in the picture is from Norfolk, VA as there are no MH-60S in Jacksonville. We only have the SH-60F and HH-60H. The journalist just put some names with the picture and called it a day I suppose. I hope that wasof some help to you."

I e-mailed my buddy who is on the CV and I am awaiting a response.

Sailorcurt

imported post

Per Navy uniform regs, the unit logo patch goes on the right breast. The sleeve patches are optional. Technically, there are limitations as to what types of patches can be worn on the shoulders, but practically, those limitations are rarely enforced...especially when deployed.

As for "flaming" I didn't call him a name or insult him personally, just insulted his opinion/position.

If that was too forceful for this forum, I apologize.

The reason I'm so annoyed about it is because, as I said before, the charge that this picture was photoshopped is popping up in other areas. I have no doubts that the anti-gunners will try to use this as "evidence" that we who support gun rights are unethical and lack integrity "hey, gun owners even lie about photoshopped pictures just to make themselves look important...they can't be trusted..."

The problem is that, in presenting himself as some sort of expert "I work with ps daily", his OPINION is being touted in other venues as FACT.

If there was solid evidence that this picture was fake, I'd be one of the first to cry foul...but there simply isn't anything credible to suggest that it is anything other than what it appears to be.

Anyway, again, I apologize for being too forceful.