• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL patch spotted in Haiti!

richarcm

imported post

I'm just being a child. I think its pretty cool. Of all places I would think that Haiti could use a VCDL.

TFred

imported post

richarcm wrote:
TFred wrote:
richarcm wrote:
photoshop
Why would a German news magazine want to do that?

TFred
I think Ed did it. It sure looks professional though. Good work Ed! :lol:
How did he then have the modified photo submitted (as if from Haiti), vetted and published on the Der Spiegel web site?

That's some job, no doubt!

TFred

ETA: Ahh... thank goodness... I thought you might just be serious!

ETA2: It's almost as amazing that he even found the photo in the first place... how did you find it Ed?

TFred

imported post

So who are the guys in the photo? The caption on the source web page says they are loading a patient for transfer to the USNS Comfort, so they must be US Military, right? Who would even be allowed to add an unofficial patch to a uniform like that?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
TFred wrote:
richarcm wrote:
photoshop
Why would a German news magazine want to do that?

TFred
I think Ed did it. It sure looks professional though. Good work Ed! :lol:
You can't do that in Photoshop

patch.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ed wrote:
TFred wrote:
how did you find it Ed?
it was sent to me from another VCDL member that happened to notice it, so I shared it here.
It's a great find if it's real Ed. The EXIF's been wiped so it's impossible to tell.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ed wrote:
TFred wrote:
how did you find it Ed?
it was sent to me from another VCDL member that happened to notice it, so I shared it here.
It's a great find if it's real Ed. The EXIF's been wiped so it's impossible to tell.
I did not find it.. It was send to someone that forwarded it to me. The originator is in the army and noticed it and was floored so he forwarded it on.

t33j

imported post

peter_nap said:
Even if there is EXIF data it can still appear be made to appear legit.

apollosmom

imported post

Maybe we need a sticky here on OCDO for VCDL patch/Orange Stickersightings. Would be a fun way to get the word out who we are outside of our traditional lanes. Would also make for great conversation during ourTidewater dinners!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t33j wrote:
peter_nap wrote:
Even if there is EXIF data it can still appear be made to appear legit.
True, it's just a matter of changing the information...but without the EXIF, I can't peel layers that have been flattened.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Is it actually a VCDL logo, or just a logo that also uses the Minuteman image? I can't see the details. That image has been used in a lot of places.

I looked at our patch, and the wording on the one in the photo.... they seem to match up perfectly, as does the coloring. From what I can tell, it IS our patch. Anyone in this forum know someone on the USNS Comfort, or associated flight crew? That'd be the best way to find out who it is.

Infidel

imported post

TFred wrote:
So who are the guys in the photo? The caption on the source web page says they are loading a patient for transfer to the USNS Comfort, so they must be US Military, right? Who would even be allowed to add an unofficial patch to a uniform like that?

TFred
Aviation air crews can pretty much add hoc any patch to the uniform, weather officially, or un-officially. The most that usually happens is a superior tells you to remove it. Most un-official patches are only on the flight helmet or other flight gear, not too often to see them on the actual uniform.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Infidel wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
Aviation air crews can pretty much add hoc any patch to the uniform, weather officially, or un-officially. The most that usually happens is a superior tells you to remove it. Most un-official patches are only on the flight helmet or other flight gear, not too often to see them on the actual uniform.
It's pretty much impossible to tell if it's real. It would be nice if it were. I can't tell you how many pictures people send me of animals that look good but are faked though.

Other than it being a long shot that it would be shown in a foreign publication, the only real question I have is in the coloration. Look at the bandage or the white spots on the sheet or his helmet....for that matter, any white spot in the picture. Compare it to the patch.

Either the patch is brand new or he is the cleanest fellow over there....or it's layered on and they didn't blend it in.