• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Looking for new place near Waterford

Banger

imported post

I just took a job in Waterford and I am looking for a place to rent within reasonable driving distance. I looked at several apartments in Waterford on Saturday and was rather disappointed with what I found. I looked at one in Novi, Wixom area and it was much more promising so I might look around there more but I figured if I asked on here perhaps someone would have a suggestion or two on some places to look within a 20 mile radius of Waterford. Thanks in advance for any imput.

Paul

Michigander

imported post

First of all, use craigslist for apartment searches. It narrows things down quickly and easily.

Second, you might want to consider buying a house with how cheap some of them have become, at least if you think you'll be in Michigan for a while.

Thrd, if you're determined to get an apartment and you really want the specific advice of people here, you need to be more specific about what you're looking for in terms of price and neighborhoods.

Banger

imported post

I will check craigslist.

I would love to buy a house but I have absolutely no money and in fact I have lots of school loan debt so buying a house is out of the question right now.

As far as areas and price range, I was thinking Novi, Wixom seems nice as well as Auburn Hills, White Lake or Lake Orion, obviously West Bloomfield would be within my radius but probably out of my price range. The place that I looked at in Novi was nice it was called Portsmouth and it was a 1 bedroom for 575 with gas and water included. I would say I am looking for something in that similar range I could probably go up to maybe 650 or even 700 IF it was exactly what I wanted but I would prefer to stay under that.

Michigander

imported post

Some repo'd homes in places like Warren and Hazel park are selling for under 10,000 dollars. If you would be happy with living in a beat up home that you could fix up as time and funds allowed, a home might be the cheapest and best option for you.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Michigander has the right idea here. Its the cheapest and best in the long run, and you cant build equity on an apartment. Im sure you can find something in waterford, some of those homes have been just sitting there for a while.

If you go with an apartment, stay away from rivers edge apartments. We used to call it "dealers edge" they are on airport road.