• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC in PFZs with CPL

G

imported post

Damn I'm denting the crap outta my keyboard!:banghead:

Haman J.T.

imported post

That is a fact that I have suffered under and I do not have enough money to fight false charges.Rich folks don't have these kind of problems.The system is screwed up liberaly!!The liberals are the ones making all these stupid laws.Thats what happens when folks who don't have a clue get elected and make laws for us working poor to live under.They take away our freedoms!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

mpearce wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I understand. This whole experience and this thread has really got me on the defensive. I beleive in our rights, and I do not want to be intimidated into no longer OCing, so I try to learn from my mistakes and carry on. Having gotten screwed in court, some of it was my fault, some was not, and then on this thread being called everything except a liar and an idiot, it is very difficult to continue. I have been attacked from both sides, the law, which is supposed to uphold my rights, and some people on the gun rights side, which, is well, supposed to support those who fight for those rights. Sometimes I feel a bit isolated. Im not a quitter, but it has been difficult. It would be so simple to just stop and say baaaaa. But I am doing my darndest to hang on. Im not to stupid to learn from my experiences or others. I know that 231 is a time bomb, but what else do I have? My rights have otherwise been denied.

The law is there to provide guidance to the whole population on how to behave with one another. The police are not there to protect any oneindividual's rights. The legislature is not concerned with any one individual's rights when they write laws (more like the wishes of those who line their pockets), but those of us who cannot afford to fight back, have to comply or risk our ultimate right - freedom.

Just interested in how you personally understand 750.231a to mean. What does lawful purpose include as it is written? What case law has interpreted the statute? Can you carry a firearm to your attorney's office under 750.231a?

I wonder because I have seen several threads where you ask about oc in pfz. I wonder if you understood on your own or if you relied on answers you received. Your posts did not appear to be as if you knew prior to posting.
If the attorneys office is on private property than yes. The law is clear you can transport a handgun for all lawful purpose of which the list in .234d is a partial list. There is legislation being written to just say all lawful purpose and not have the partial list. So it was the intent of the legislator in 2006 to mean ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. Before 2006 the law did say lawful purpose or going to and fromthe current law state in route.

G

imported post

To the best of my limited knowledge, there is no case law that has determined if .234d is exclusively or inclusive of those places delineated therein.

With that in mind, I'm sure that there have been individuals that have made a olea to a different charge to avoid possible conviction under .234d.

I also recall reading of a public official that did plead guilty to .234d, for having firearms in the trunk under what we (laypeople) would consider lawful, to avoid prosecution under some other more serious charges.

S again, because of the uncertainty of prosecution under .234d, the even more uncertain outcome of a trial, and the record of stainless1911, I suggest he refrain from possession and transportation of any firearm whatsoever.

Of course, I am not a layer, by any stretch of the imagination, so this advice it probably worthless. The same amount that stainless1911 paid for the highly qualified advice he completely ignored.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
To the best of my limited knowledge, there is no case law that has determined if .234d is exclusively or inclusive of those places delineated therein.

With that in mind, I'm sure that there have been individuals that have made a olea to a different charge to avoid possible conviction under .234d.

I also recall reading of a public official that did plead guilty to .234d, for having firearms in the trunk under what we (laypeople) would consider lawful, to avoid prosecution under some other more serious charges.

S again, because of the uncertainty of prosecution under .234d, the even more uncertain outcome of a trial, and the record of stainless1911, I suggest he refrain from possession and transportation of any firearm whatsoever.

Of course, I am not a layer, by any stretch of the imagination, so this advice it probably worthless. The same amount that stainless1911 paid for the highly qualified advice he completely ignored.

We had a judge in Traverse City drop a charge for illegal transport of a handgun (locked in trunk on private property). The judge said he couldn't prosecutea law that hasn't existed for 3 years, he got the intent of the revised statute.

Not saying you can't be arrested for it,keep in mindsome OCers have been cited for CPL violations (and latter dropped) that were obviously written to harass people.

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Youz guyz arez getting 234d mix up with 231a.:)

ETA: Oops, forgot the mandatory smiley.
Venator's reference to 234d is valid.

In regards to my posts, refering to .234d, you are correct, I did mean 234a and should have cited.

Here is the cite with the highlited parts that I warn about lacking sufficient supporting case law to preclude being aressted and charged with a crime.

The success of the prosecution would of course depend on the level of competance of the defendants counsel and the defendants willingness to adhere to that counsel.

In the case of stainless1911, he has repeatedly stated the lack of resources to aquire competent counsel. And, when presented with free counsel, he lacks the willingness to adhere to the advice of that competent counsel.

Additionally, stainless1911 had repeatedly demonstrated a lack of comprehension of those things related to statutes.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(es...jectname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=231a

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.Sec. 231a.
(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:
(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.
(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.
(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
(2) As used in this section:
(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:
(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.
(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:
(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.
(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.
(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.
(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.
(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Youz guyz arez getting 234d mix up with 231a.:)

ETA: Oops, forgot the mandatory smiley.
Venator's reference to 234d is valid.
SNIP

"The law is clear you can transport a handgun for all lawful purpose of which the list in .234d is a partial list."

What Venator mentioned above is 231a (lawful Purpose), not 234d.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
"The law is clear you can transport a handgun for all lawful purpose of which the list in .234d is a partial list."

What Venator mentioned above is 231a (lawful Purpose), not 234d.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
Does anyone have background for this statement?

Can anyone cite any case law that has settled that this list is inclusive of or exclusively of?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP

Can anyone cite any case law that has settled that this list is inclusive of or exclusively of?
No, we've been trying to come up with something for a few years now. MSP's opinion on it was that it's not inclusive--but just an opinion.

lapeer20m

imported post

transcripts! i got transcripts. They came in the mail today. They are about 40 pages. I am scanning them as we speak, but i have to do them 1 page at a time, so it's gonna take a while. Unfortunately i don't work in an office with a fancy copy machine/scanner.

Maybe things were different in person, but reading the transcripts, it seems like the defendant probably would have won if the evidence needed to be beyond a reasonable doubt. too bad the court only needed 51% in this case.

They should be posted this afternoon....

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP

No, we've been trying to come up with something for a few years now. MSP's opinion on it was that it's not inclusive--but just an opinion.
That is precisely why I think he should refrain from any transportation/possession of any firearm for the time of his cpl restriction at least.