• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Been dying to tell you guys this one

tyguy808

imported post

So when I'm home I try to spend my more time with my wife and kids than OCDO. My time for this is off-watch on the boat. I got back on the boat Thursday and right down the coast we went, doh!, no internet 100 miles out!

Here goes, bear with me:

I returned from a long day of playing with SVG and his family. I stepped out the back door for a smoke, not turning on a light like I normally do. Almost immediately I hear a crash from the neighbor on the next streets house, but their truck is no where in sight. I look and see a person creeping around with a flashlight. This person is slowly but deliberately trying to be quiet. I watch as the shadow creeps from the back porch, to the side door, several times. I can't make out what is going on, but I've got a bad feeling. I crept around to my front door and told the wife to call the cops, I was certain that this person was trying to figure out how to get in.

16 MINUTES LATER, Bellingham PD shows up. I walk to the front yard to brief the officer on my observations as another cop, K9 unit, shows up. My wife comes running out to say that the person had just headed for the street. The officers walk around the corner, while I head for the back yard waiting for some creep to jump the fence. A few minutes later the cops come back to their cars, empty handed.

They tell me that it was the lady of the house, slightly inebriated, cleaning the back porch and taking out the trash. SHe was using a headlamp type light to avoid turning on any lights outside and waking their young child asleep in the living room.

As the cops were leaving, the K9 cop asks about the pistol on my hip and nothing more.

I went the next day to apologize to my neighbor. She said she was grateful that someone was watching out for the neighborhood. She looked at my PT145 on my hip, her only question was "is that a Kahr?" Pretty impressive, I guess. I also found out that for the first time in three years, she parked her truck in the garage.

Bottom Line: It took the Bellingham PD 16 MINUTES to show up for an ACTIVE BURGLARY call, not something silly like "someone spray painted my wall last night", it was an ACTIVE BURGLARY call. This is exactly why I carry a gun.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You did very well tyguy808 and many would do well to follow in your foot steps here.
The reasoning behind this is that many will just write it off as nothing or none of their business or do not want to be seen as calling 911 needlessly.

A friend of mine told me of an incident a few weeks ago where he saw 3 kids messing around the front of his neighbors house and walked over and the kids left, he look a little closer and see the front door was slightly open and went back home thinking the owner or their kid was home.

Later to find out the door was adjar because they broke in and had stolen a few items and the kids bike was in the front room with her purse was by the front door as well.

The owner and kid was home in bed!

Unfortunately no call was made and the 3 kids got away clean.

Again good job, even if it is a false alarm make that call.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Great Job Ty. You mean you didn't go cower inside while waiting for the cops? LOL.

I like your story all around. You kept your firearm on you, you didn't hide yourself away from the situation, but kept your wits about you and didn't jump the gun (pun not intended). Hmm and the cops didn't shoot you or disarm you when you are the one who called 911 (your wife did I know, before these nit-pickers, dissect my every word). Yet if the SHTF, you were well prepared to handle the situation.

You must have had professional training or something.;)

Even though this turned out to be your neighbor it is the perfect example of why we are the law, and we need to not be so reliant on LEO's. If the situation was serious a lot can happen in the dismally slow response time of 16 min. And you live less than 1 min. from the station. Again kudos on being alert, vigilant and handling the situation so well.

Capn Camo

imported post

AWESOME. Way to go. Nice that she knows what a Kahr is. Publicity is # 1.

I was wearing a hat for our local shooting range in the bank yesterday (while OC-ing - they know me) and struck up a conversation about 2A and the local unconstitutional illegalities.

Must always be ready to preach.