• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Open Carry Laws

utahlegalheat.com

imported post

Everyone,
Background: My name is Phil and I am the developer of an Iphone/Ipod touch application called "Legal Heat: 50 State Guide to Firearm Laws". I'm an NRA firearms instructor/concealed carry instructor and I released this app to help not only the general public to know and abide by the varying laws from state to state, but also as a reference to ourselves as we travel around for our classes. Thus far it has been a great success and thousands of people are using it every day (even though it's not nearly as good as it soon will be).

Help: As of yet the app only contains concealed carry laws for each state, reciprocity/reverse reciprocity maps, and transport law summaries. At the request of many people we are currently in the process of updating it with open carry laws, that's where I would love your help. To expedite the process and help me be as accurate as possible I would be extremely grateful for anyone who could summarize (or simply provide me statutory references) for any pertinent open carry laws you feel should be included in the app or that I should be aware of. It is an extremely difficult and error prone task to be undertaken alone, so that is why I am seeking your help. This is not meant to advertise the app, but simply to recruit any help that I can through this forum, I appreciate any info you feel willing to share.
Thank you

AZkopper

imported post

utahlegalheat.com wrote:
Everyone,
Background: My name is Phil and I am the developer of an Iphone/Ipod touch application called "Legal Heat: 50 State Guide to Firearm Laws". I'm an NRA firearms instructor/concealed carry instructor and I released this app to help not only the general public to know and abide by the varying laws from state to state, but also as a reference to ourselves as we travel around for our classes. Thus far it has been a great success and thousands of people are using it every day (even though it's not nearly as good as it soon will be).

Help: As of yet the app only contains concealed carry laws for each state, reciprocity/reverse reciprocity maps, and transport law summaries. At the request of many people we are currently in the process of updating it with open carry laws, that's where I would love your help. To expedite the process and help me be as accurate as possible I would be extremely grateful for anyone who could summarize (or simply provide me statutory references) for any pertinent open carry laws you feel should be included in the app or that I should be aware of. It is an extremely difficult and error prone task to be undertaken alone, so that is why I am seeking your help. This is not meant to advertise the app, but simply to recruit any help that I can through this forum, I appreciate any info you feel willing to share.
Thank you

Summary ofOpen CarryLaws in Arizona:

1. It's legal, no permit required, "one in the chamber" is legal (and preferred). Age to Open Carry is 18 years old.

2. Weapon (handgun) must be holstered and "partially or wholly visible" to casual observation. Laws are more vague on longarms, but openly slung on your back [I'd avoid the 'low slung across chest look] should be (and usually is) fine.

3. May open carry in any private establishment (non-alcohol serving--see below) unless posted 'no weapons/no firearms'. Violation of such posting subjects you to trespass laws.

4. Establishments that serve alchohol (bars or restaraunts) allow CONCEALED CARRY ONLY (must haveConcealed Weapon Permit)unless signage is posted next to alcohol license prohibiting weapons. Carrying in violation of posted sign is prohibited.

5. Carrying firearms on to a K-12 school property isa prohibited (no 1000' rule enforcement in AZ).

6. Carrying at a nuclear facility, hydroeleectric facility is prohibited.

7. Carrying at a public event that serves alcohol is prohibited (fairs, street fairs, etc).

8. Public (city hall, court, etc)buildings that prohibit firearms MUST provide accessable storage for them.

9. Open Carry in a vehicle is legal by statute, but case law (Arizona v Adams) has overriden that. Vehicle carry must be in plain sight, or anywhere in a holster not on the body, holstered or unholstered in glove box/center console, or holstered/unholstered in map pocket.

The relevant sections in the Arizona Revised Statutes are Title 13, Chapter 31.

Edited to reflect Dahwg's additions

Dahwg

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
utahlegalheat.com wrote:
Everyone,

Thank you
Summary of Open Carry Laws in Arizona:

1. It's legal, no permit required, "one in the chamber" is legal (and preferred).

2. Weapon (handgun) must be holstered and "partially or wholly visible" to casual observation.

3. May open carry in any private establishment (non-alcohol serving--see below) unless posted 'no weapons/no firearms'. Violation of such posting subjects you to trespass laws.

4. Establishments that serve alchohol (bars or restaraunts) allow CONCEALED CARRY ONLY (must have Concealed Weapon Permit) unless signage is posted next to alcohol license prohibiting weapons. Carrying in violation of posted sign is prohibited.

5. Carrying firearms on to a K-12 school property is a prohibited (no 1000' rule enforcement in AZ).

6. Carrying at a nuclear facility, hydroeleectric facility is prohibited.

7. Carrying at a public event that serves alcohol is prohibited (fairs, street fairs, etc).

8. Public (city hall, court, etc) buildings that prohibit firearms MUST provide accessable storage for them.

9. Open Carry in a vehicle is legal by statute, but case law (Arizona v Adams) has overriden that. Vehicle carry must be in plain sight, or anywhere in a holster not on the body, holstered or unholstered in glove box/center console, or holstered/unholstered in map pocket.

The relevant sections in the Arizona Revised Statutes are Title 13, Chapter 31.

Wow, that sums it up perfectly. Don't forget open carry is not just handguns- If you're so inclined you may OC a long gun. :monkey

Legal age for OC is 18.

utahlegalheat.com

imported post

Great info! I really appreciate your guys' effort to help out with this. Concealed carry laws are a lot easier to find and interpret, and obviously I am not willing to make any assumptions on my own. I am gathering this info as preliminary research. I'm going to compile it, format it, and then re-post it here for everyone to examine prior to releasing it. I really appreciate the statutory reference, that helps me a lot.

You asked if the app is free. It is $1.99. Unfortunately I don't program it myself, so I have to pay a developer to do it. Should have gone to "iphone app" developer school instead of law school, they make a lot more money.