Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

Post imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...8:b30060590:z0

"
    Authorities in central New Jersey seized a cache of weapons and ammunition including rifles, a grenade launcher and a night vision scope from the motel room of a Virginia man arrested early Monday by officers responding to a report of a suspicious person, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state.

Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Forrest said the rifle Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, the maps and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition.

A message left by FoxNews.com for the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office spokesman has not been returned.

Woodson is being held at the Somerset County Jail on numerous charges, including unlawful possession of weapons, possession of prohibited weapons, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Bail has not yet been set. Woodson was tentatively scheduled for an initial court appearance at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Spokesman Jack Bennett said the prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had retained a lawyer.

Forrest said investigators from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

The FBI issued a statement: "Presently, there does not appear to be a link to terrorism; Woodson does not appear to have a link to any known terrorist groups, nor a specific terrorist plot. However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings. It is possible that Mr. Woodson could face federal gun charges, but that has yet to be determined. At this time, the matter is being worked as a state case out of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

Authorities in New Jersey say Woodson's last known address is on Generation Drive in Reston. On Monday night, Fox 5 went to that neighborhood, but residents we spoke with did not recognize Woodson's photograph.

Woodson was being held at the Somerset County Jail on charges including unlawful possession of weapons.

The prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had a lawyer."

Do you think he was using the .50 beowulf?

Post imported post

AP is reporting that he had a grenade launcher, Fox News is reporting that their producers recieved a phone call from Federal officials stating that he did not have a grenade launcher, but a flare launcher. FNC is still trying to confirm at this time.

Post imported post

What does a "suspicious person" look like? Or, is this just a euphemistic term for investigating someone at random after recieving phone calls?

My rude neighbor has been looking suspicious lately. What should I do?

Post imported post

ComradeV wrote:
    Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state....
    This Woodson guy looks like a trouble-maker. Some kind of wacko gun nut.

I hope he isn't a member here...

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    What does a "suspicious person" look like? Or, is this just a euphemistic term for investigating someone at random after recieving phone calls?

My rude neighbor has been looking suspicious lately. What should I do?
    My neighbor acts like a suspicious person, too. No, wait, I remember now, he is from New York City. Dang, I thought I had me one.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ComradeV wrote:
    If he was I would like to know where he got a quantity of the ammo!!!!!
    It has been a real PITA to find for a long time now...well I guess he could have paid the insane prices on gunbroker. It seems that many of the sellers of Beowulf ammo on there have made rape and art form.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:
    It has been a real PITA to find for a long time now...well I guess he could have paid the insane prices on gunbroker. It seems that many of the sellers of Beowulf ammo on there have made rape and art form.
    Supply and demand, my friend. Welcome to a free-market economy.

I suggest a browse through the Dillon website...

Post imported post

Well, I would say, um, lessee... a concealed Bushmaster with a defaced serial? Ballistic vests (2)? scope? police scanner? map of military base? a second Bushmaster ditto defaced serial? a (depending on who you talk to) flare gun OR a grenade launcher? One rifle modified to .50 cal ?

Well, I would say that the guy was/is either

(1) up to no good OR

(2) Nuts in the Gorgonzola.

But that is just my opinion, and I could be wrong....

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

(1) up to no good OR

Could be both.

Probably is.

Hmm.....goofball....multiple guns...military facility involved...from Virginia...

Pattern????'

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:

(1) up to no good OR

Could be both.

Probably is.

Hmm.....goofball....multiple guns...military facility involved...from Virginia...

Pattern????'

Be explicit, please, Hank.

Post imported post

Sounds like he had some higher end weapons, with expensive ammunition requirements.

But wait, didn't NJ ban .50 calibre weapons in their state, how did he manage to get one in???

Post imported post

ComradeV wrote:
    Sounds like he had some higher end weapons, with expensive ammunition requirements.

But wait, didn't NJ ban .50 calibre weapons in their state, how did he manage to get one in???

Actually, CV, when a state "bans" an object, i.e. a .50 cal. gun, they just make it illegal to buy, sell, or own.

But a person can still illegally obtain such a gun within the state, or get one from another state--then simply go into the state that "bans" the item.

After a state "bans" an object it does NOT stop every person coming into the state to check their belongings for possession of the "banned" object.

So a person, very easily in some cases, can still bring a "banned" object into a state where it is illegal. In the instant case, Woodson probably just drove up Virginia.

Not a big feat, really.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:

Actually, CV, when a state "bans" an object, i.e. a .50 cal. gun, they just make it illegal to buy, sell, or own.

But a person can still illegally obtain such a gun within the state, or get one from another state--then simply go into the state that "bans" the item.

After a state "bans" an object it does NOT stop every person coming into the state to check their belongings for possession of the "banned" object.

So a person, very easily in some cases, can still bring a "banned" object into a state where it is illegal. In the instant case, Woodson probably just drove up Virginia.

Not a big feat, really.
    Uh, Hank.... I really think Comrade was being, you know, sarcastic....

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

Not a big feat, really.
    Why thank you for the explanation, Professor Hank, I guess no one could've figure that out. Maybe you should go teach that to the antis who tell us these bans make us safer.

Or, here's an idea, why doesn't NJ close its borders and require a passport to enter, and search every person and vehicle that crosses the state line. After all, you want the ban to be effective, doncha? It's just a little bit of liberty, ya know, you're still free to travel, you just have to wait a few minutes for thenice man to make sure you didn't smuggle any of those evil guns from that awful place Virginia.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PavePusher wrote:
    Toad wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:
    Supply and demand, my friend. Welcome to a free-market economy.

I suggest a browse through the Dillon website...
    Oh I know!!! all I needed were the dies...check-mark on that one!
    I still like getting new unfired stuff; reminds me of Christmas morning.

Post imported post

I sure wish the police and the media told the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help them God.

Post imported post

Funny, I used to get coffee there most mornings. Right down the road was a bar Cryans IIRC and it was a rather rough place.

I looked up the .50 cal upper for the AR and it's not really too easy to conceal unless you have a trenchcoat a mile long.

In any case, at least they got the guy before he did anything stupid.

Post imported post

Evil, nope, they got him before he did anything else stupid

The defaced serial numbers is the one thing that I see as a real stumbling block for his lawyer ... stoopid, stoopid, stoopid

SO says he remembers the 37mm as a flare launcher (USMC ca 1979-1981) from his Med Cruises. one_of_several_mfgsfound through www.37mm.com

sitting in NW Oklahoma waiting for the blizzard to hit ...
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Well nobody said anything about finding any grenades . . . .

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    Well nobody said anything about finding any grenades . . . .
    But... but... but.... he has the LAUNCHER! Don't you know how dangerous having the LAUNCHER is?

Jesus. He could have hurt, like, 15,000 people with that! Haven't you even ever seen a movie? If he had a grenade, why.... hell, he could have blown up the entire state!!!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Not a big feat, really.
    Why thank you for the explanation, Professor Hank, I guess no one could've figure that out. Maybe you should go teach that to the antis who tell us these bans make us safer.

Or, here's an idea, why doesn't NJ close its borders and require a passport to enter, and search every person and vehicle that crosses the state line. After all, you want the ban to be effective, doncha? It's just a little bit of liberty, ya know, you're still free to travel, you just have to wait a few minutes for thenice man to make sure you didn't smuggle any of those evil guns from that awful place Virginia.
    Come on guys, even I recognize tongue-in-cheek when I see it.
    He was pointing out the stupidity of trying to eliminate the illegal use of a weapon by banning it's possession.

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:

Not a big feat, really.
    It behooves ...to indicate sarcasm when such is intended.

Yata hey

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:

Not a big feat, really.
    It behooves ...to indicate sarcasm when such is intended.

Yata hey
    Well excuuuuuuuuussssssse me, Hankie ol pal. I had assumed, given your superior intelligence, that you were wise enough to recognize sarcasm when you see it. Sometimes such an indication might be needed, but to not recognize Comrade's comment as sarcasm without an overt cue would be to assume he was stupid.

Well, you know the saying about "ass - u - me".

Hey yata yata swing.

Post imported post

okboomer wrote:
    Evil, nope, they got him before he did anything else stupid

The defaced serial numbers is the one thing that I see as a real stumbling block for his lawyer ... stoopid, stoopid, stoopid

SO says he remembers the 37mm as a flare launcher (USMC ca 1979-1981) from his Med Cruises. one_of_several_mfgsfound through http://www.37mm.com

sitting in NW Oklahoma waiting for the blizzard to hit ...
    Point taken, you are correct sir.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ComradeV wrote:
    Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state....
    Rut-roh. I have maps (military-grade maps!) of several U.S. military facilities, both CONUS and overseas. I have guns and ammo. I even have cameras and telephoto lenses.

:shock::shock::shock:

Am I off the hook because those maps were issued to me by the military facilities they portray?

If not, I better burn 'em quick. It's a good thing I can't download and print satellite views that are far more current....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast