• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583912,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r5:c0.031228:b30060590:z0

"
Authorities in central New Jersey seized a cache of weapons and ammunition including rifles, a grenade launcher and a night vision scope from the motel room of a Virginia man arrested early Monday by officers responding to a report of a suspicious person, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state.

Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Forrest said the rifle Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, the maps and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition.

A message left by FoxNews.com for the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office spokesman has not been returned.

Woodson is being held at the Somerset County Jail on numerous charges, including unlawful possession of weapons, possession of prohibited weapons, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Bail has not yet been set. Woodson was tentatively scheduled for an initial court appearance at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Spokesman Jack Bennett said the prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had retained a lawyer.

Forrest said investigators from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

The FBI issued a statement: "Presently, there does not appear to be a link to terrorism; Woodson does not appear to have a link to any known terrorist groups, nor a specific terrorist plot. However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings. It is possible that Mr. Woodson could face federal gun charges, but that has yet to be determined. At this time, the matter is being worked as a state case out of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

Authorities in New Jersey say Woodson's last known address is on Generation Drive in Reston. On Monday night, Fox 5 went to that neighborhood, but residents we spoke with did not recognize Woodson's photograph.

Woodson was being held at the Somerset County Jail on charges including unlawful possession of weapons.

The prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had a lawyer."

Do you think he was using the .50 beowulf?

WCrawford

imported post

AP is reporting that he had a grenade launcher, Fox News is reporting that their producers recieved a phone call from Federal officials stating that he did not have a grenade launcher, but a flare launcher. FNC is still trying to confirm at this time.

Statesman

imported post

What does a "suspicious person" look like? Or, is this just a euphemistic term for investigating someone at random after recieving phone calls?

My rude neighbor has been looking suspicious lately. What should I do?
:banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ComradeV wrote:
Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state....

This Woodson guy looks like a trouble-maker. Some kind of wacko gun nut.

I hope he isn't a member here...

rodbender

imported post

Statesman wrote:
What does a "suspicious person" look like? Or, is this just a euphemistic term for investigating someone at random after recieving phone calls?

My rude neighbor has been looking suspicious lately. What should I do?
:banghead:
My neighbor acts like a suspicious person, too. No, wait, I remember now, he is from New York City. Dang, I thought I had me one.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ComradeV wrote:
If he was I would like to know where he got a quantity of the ammo!!!!!
It has been a real PITA to find for a long time now...well I guess he could have paid the insane prices on gunbroker. It seems that many of the sellers of Beowulf ammo on there have made rape and art form.

PavePusher

imported post

Toad wrote:
ComradeV wrote:
It has been a real PITA to find for a long time now...well I guess he could have paid the insane prices on gunbroker. It seems that many of the sellers of Beowulf ammo on there have made rape and art form.

Supply and demand, my friend. Welcome to a free-market economy.

I suggest a browse through the Dillon website... :D

Alexcabbie

imported post

Well, I would say, um, lessee... a concealed Bushmaster with a defaced serial? Ballistic vests (2)? scope? police scanner? map of military base? a second Bushmaster ditto defaced serial? a (depending on who you talk to) flare gun OR a grenade launcher? One rifle modified to .50 cal ?

Well, I would say that the guy was/is either

(1) up to no good OR

(2) Nuts in the Gorgonzola.

But that is just my opinion, and I could be wrong....:uhoh:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Well, I would say that the guy was/is either

(1) up to no good OR

(2) Nuts in the Gorgonzola.

Could be both.

Probably is.

Hmm.....goofball....multiple guns...military facility involved...from Virginia...

Pattern????'

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like he had some higher end weapons, with expensive ammunition requirements.

But wait, didn't NJ ban .50 calibre weapons in their state, how did he manage to get one in???

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ComradeV wrote:
Sounds like he had some higher end weapons, with expensive ammunition requirements.

But wait, didn't NJ ban .50 calibre weapons in their state, how did he manage to get one in???

Actually, CV, when a state "bans" an object, i.e. a .50 cal. gun, they just make it illegal to buy, sell, or own.

But a person can still illegally obtain such a gun within the state, or get one from another state--then simply go into the state that "bans" the item.

After a state "bans" an object it does NOT stop every person coming into the state to check their belongings for possession of the "banned" object.

So a person, very easily in some cases, can still bring a "banned" object into a state where it is illegal. In the instant case, Woodson probably just drove up Virginia.

Not a big feat, really.

Alexcabbie

imported post

HankT wrote:
ComradeV wrote:

Actually, CV, when a state "bans" an object, i.e. a .50 cal. gun, they just make it illegal to buy, sell, or own.

But a person can still illegally obtain such a gun within the state, or get one from another state--then simply go into the state that "bans" the item.

After a state "bans" an object it does NOT stop every person coming into the state to check their belongings for possession of the "banned" object.

So a person, very easily in some cases, can still bring a "banned" object into a state where it is illegal. In the instant case, Woodson probably just drove up Virginia.

Not a big feat, really.
Uh, Hank.... I really think Comrade was being, you know, sarcastic....

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:

Not a big feat, really.

Why thank you for the explanation, Professor Hank, I guess no one could've figure that out. Maybe you should go teach that to the antis who tell us these bans make us safer.

Or, here's an idea, why doesn't NJ close its borders and require a passport to enter, and search every person and vehicle that crosses the state line. After all, you want the ban to be effective, doncha? It's just a little bit of liberty, ya know, you're still free to travel, you just have to wait a few minutes for thenice man to make sure you didn't smuggle any of those evil guns from that awful place Virginia.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Toad wrote:
ComradeV wrote:

Supply and demand, my friend. Welcome to a free-market economy.

I suggest a browse through the Dillon website... :D
Oh I know!!! all I needed were the dies...check-mark on that one!
I still like getting new unfired stuff; reminds me of Christmas morning.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Funny, I used to get coffee there most mornings. Right down the road was a bar Cryans IIRC and it was a rather rough place.

I looked up the .50 cal upper for the AR and it's not really too easy to conceal unless you have a trenchcoat a mile long.

In any case, at least they got the guy before he did anything stupid.

okboomer

imported post

Evil, nope, they got him before he did anything else stupid :banghead:

The defaced serial numbers is the one thing that I see as a real stumbling block for his lawyer ... stoopid, stoopid, stoopid :cuss:

SO says he remembers the 37mm as a flare launcher (USMC ca 1979-1981) from his Med Cruises. one_of_several_mfgsfound through www.37mm.com

sitting in NW Oklahoma waiting for the blizzard to hit ...

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Well nobody said anything about finding any grenades . . . .

But... but... but.... he has the LAUNCHER! Don't you know how dangerous having the LAUNCHER is?

Jesus. He could have hurt, like, 15,000 people with that! Haven't you even ever seen a movie? If he had a grenade, why.... hell, he could have blown up the entire state!!!