Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live video on AWB Legislation hearing

Post imported post

Here is the live video webcast of the Senate Judiciary Committee. It all starts at 10:00. There is no telling when AB6396 will be heard among the other bills being discussed, but it will be interesting to see the mood in progress when it starts.

LIVE EVENT WEBCAST
    Senate Judiciary Committee

Erik.

Post imported post

I don't see it.

EDIT: It's working now.

Post imported post

Me neither, I'm looking for a better one, or they may be late getting it going.

Post imported post

KOMO just posted a twitpic of the overflow of folks attending...
    http://twitpic.com/zvk3r
    Support these forums, please donate if you are able to OpenCarry.Org!

Post imported post

Lol - the person in the twitpic photo with gray hair and dark suit is from wa ceasefire... he's definately in the minority there...

Post imported post

Anyone else's blood boiling at Sen Kline!

Post imported post

Yay Pam Roach!

Post imported post

SigPacker wrote:
    Anyone else's blood boiling at Sen Kline!
    Good thing I took my blood pressure med's this morning.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

SigPacker wrote:
    Yay Pam Roach!
    +1
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Post imported post

For anyone who was there, were the only people in favor of the bill the ones Kline invited to testify?

Post imported post

Simply incredible that they didn't let Dave Workman speak!

Post imported post

Maybe I am wrong here, but if the police chief of Bellevue was there as a private citizen she should have left her uniform at home. I know as a member of the military, I would never wear my uniform to a function like that where I was presenting my personal views. You guys in Bellevue need to call her out on that in the paper, IMO.

I now realize what a tool Kline really is. You guys have very many of those on that side of the mountains?

bob

Post imported post

BobR wrote:
    if the police chief of Bellevue was there as a private citizen she should have left her uniform at home.
    Absolutely!

Post imported post

Kline stacked the deck in for testimony, then interjected all kinds of personal (and often erroneous) bias from his bully pulpit. Why the hell should a committee chair be allowed to chair the hearing for his own bill? He should have had to defer to the co-chair. And he agreed to allow a majority of the testimony to come from the anti-bill folks after Sen. Roach made the point about the accepted practice, but then only allowed equal testimonials. WTF??!!

Post imported post

Some notes I made while watching:
    Adam Kline’s argument:
    I went to a range and saw how extraordinarily safe you responsible gun owners are. Firearms are like an arms race, if criminals get them then you want them. Why do we want these in commerce then?
    <Clearly he doesn’t get the why.>

Sullivan’s mother:
    “We have laws that protect our children from narcotics and alcohol and when they can drive and when they can vote and I would like to see some laws protecting our children from assault weapons. Because they are impulsive, and it was impulsive when the person killed my son. I would like to keep our children safe and keep them out of our most vulnerable young people.” Kline: do you know the model of the gun used to kill your son. Sullivan’s mom: “No, I don’t”
    <So, she doesn’t know if an assault weapon was even used! >.< >

NRA representative:
    … violates the 4th amendment…

Kline:
    There would be an amendment taking that portion out

NRA:
    Arguably this bill is trying to find a degree of lethality. Pistol grips have nothing to do with lethality. … This bill will sow confusion, not control.

Kline:
    Legal discussion: DC vs heller. Total ban rightfully unconstitutional. Quoting from Heller: like most rights, the rights secured by the 2nd amendment are not unlimited. … [you cannot carry anything].. . Nothing in our opinion should be used to cast doubt on felons.. blah blah blah. Isn’t that a fairly clear and concise validation of laws like this?

<No, Kline, it’s not>
    NRA response:

Kline: This is an invitation by the US Supreme court to pass reasonable restrictions…
    <No, Kline, it’s not>

“Merton Cooper: If you hold it like this *vertical fist*, you’re a felon. If you hold it like this *angled fist*, you’re legal....
    And then the government is telling you how loud noises are bad for your hearing. Yet they don’t let me put a muffler on my firearm. They make me put one on my car!
    "

"If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

when do they vote on this ??

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:

Kline:
    Legal discussion: DC vs heller. Total ban rightfully unconstitutional. Quoting from Heller: like most rights, the rights secured by the 2nd amendment are not unlimited. … [you cannot carry anything].. . Nothing in our opinion should be used to cast doubt on felons.. blah blah blah. Isn’t that a fairly clear and concise validation of laws like this?

Kline: This is an invitation by the US Supreme court to pass reasonable restrictions…
    No actually the SCOTUS ruling is not an invitation to pass more regulations. What SCOTUS allowed was most states current laws to not be overturned in one fell swoop.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
    If you were Kline, and were only going to allow one more person to speak against your bill, who would you choose? Dave Workman, or Merton Cooper?

There is no way that Kline was going to let Dave speak.

Post imported post

ak56 wrote:
    Ajetpilot wrote:
    If you were Kline, and were only going to allow one more person to speak against your bill, who would you choose? Dave Workman, or Merton Cooper?

Fortunately, Cooper held his own. I laughed a couple times at the simple-but-correct insights he had.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:
    ak56 wrote:
    Ajetpilot wrote:

Fortunately, Cooper held his own. I laughed a couple times at the simple-but-correct insights he had.
    I agree, Cooper did fine.

Post imported post

So far, after talking with everyone on the committee (their staff members), I have a tentative 3 yea's, and 5 nay's on this bill. It hasn't been voted on yet, but when it does, this is what I'm expecting.

2 (D)s and 3 (R)s are voting nay. A simple majority is needed to pass it, and it won't pass according to the staff members of the 5 I spoke with.

Erik.

Post imported post

ak56 wrote:
    Tawnos wrote:
    ak56 wrote:
    Ajetpilot wrote:

I agree, Cooper did fine.
    I agree as well. He did a better job than I would have done, no doubt. However, I think the responsible thing for Kline to have done would be to allow one of the leading spokesmen for 2A rights to testify.

Banned

Post imported post

One of the security people at the building told me you could watch it on the internet later or whenever. I was there but the over fill room was packed so I went over to outside the senate chambers and watched it with some WSP officers.

Post imported post

If Klein knew Dave Workman why did he ask if he was a photographer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast