• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Live video on AWB Legislation hearing

SigPacker

imported post

Lol - the person in the twitpic photo with gray hair and dark suit is from wa ceasefire... he's definately in the minority there...

BobR

imported post

Maybe I am wrong here, but if the police chief of Bellevue was there as a private citizen she should have left her uniform at home. I know as a member of the military, I would never wear my uniform to a function like that where I was presenting my personal views. You guys in Bellevue need to call her out on that in the paper, IMO.

I now realize what a tool Kline really is. You guys have very many of those on that side of the mountains?

bob

spike89

imported post

Kline stacked the deck in for testimony, then interjected all kinds of personal (and often erroneous) bias from his bully pulpit. Why the hell should a committee chair be allowed to chair the hearing for his own bill? He should have had to defer to the co-chair. And he agreed to allow a majority of the testimony to come from the anti-bill folks after Sen. Roach made the point about the accepted practice, but then only allowed equal testimonials. WTF??!! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

Tawnos

imported post

Some notes I made while watching:
Adam Kline’s argument:
I went to a range and saw how extraordinarily safe you responsible gun owners are. Firearms are like an arms race, if criminals get them then you want them. Why do we want these in commerce then?
<Clearly he doesn’t get the why.>

Sullivan’s mother:
“We have laws that protect our children from narcotics and alcohol and when they can drive and when they can vote and I would like to see some laws protecting our children from assault weapons. Because they are impulsive, and it was impulsive when the person killed my son. I would like to keep our children safe and keep them out of our most vulnerable young people.” Kline: do you know the model of the gun used to kill your son. Sullivan’s mom: “No, I don’t”
<So, she doesn’t know if an assault weapon was even used! >.< >

NRA representative:
… violates the 4[sup]th[/sup] amendment…

Kline:
There would be an amendment taking that portion out

NRA:
Arguably this bill is trying to find a degree of lethality. Pistol grips have nothing to do with lethality. … This bill will sow confusion, not control.

Kline:
Legal discussion: DC vs heller. Total ban rightfully unconstitutional. Quoting from Heller: like most rights, the rights secured by the 2[sup]nd[/sup] amendment are not unlimited. … [you cannot carry anything].. . Nothing in our opinion should be used to cast doubt on felons.. blah blah blah. Isn’t that a fairly clear and concise validation of laws like this?

<No, Kline, it’s not>
NRA response:

Kline: This is an invitation by the US Supreme court to pass reasonable restrictions…
<No, Kline, it’s not>

“Merton Cooper: If you hold it like this *vertical fist*, you’re a felon. If you hold it like this *angled fist*, you’re legal....
And then the government is telling you how loud noises are bad for your hearing. Yet they don’t let me put a muffler on my firearm. They make me put one on my car!
"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tawnos wrote:

Kline:
Legal discussion: DC vs heller. Total ban rightfully unconstitutional. Quoting from Heller: like most rights, the rights secured by the 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment are not unlimited. … [you cannot carry anything].. . Nothing in our opinion should be used to cast doubt on felons.. blah blah blah. Isn’t that a fairly clear and concise validation of laws like this?

Kline: This is an invitation by the US Supreme court to pass reasonable restrictions…
No actually the SCOTUS ruling is not an invitation to pass more regulations. What SCOTUS allowed was most states current laws to not be overturned in one fell swoop.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Simply incredible that they didn't let Dave Workman speak!

If you were Kline, and were only going to allow one more person to speak against your bill, who would you choose? Dave Workman, or Merton Cooper?

There is no way that Kline was going to let Dave speak.

Tawnos

imported post

ak56 wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
Simply incredible that they didn't let Dave Workman speak!

If you were Kline, and were only going to allow one more person to speak against your bill, who would you choose? Dave Workman, or Merton Cooper?

There is no way that Kline was going to let Dave speak.
Fortunately, Cooper held his own. I laughed a couple times at the simple-but-correct insights he had.