• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tragic : telling the real truth ?

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I probably am old-school on this...

The way I grew up, you keep your property under control. If you are not capable of doing so, and your property creates begins to impede my enjoyment of my property, I have the right to correct the situation, as I see fit.

If you don't want your dogs shot, the solution is very simple. Keep them off of my property.

To few people want to accept responsibility for anything. This woman should have been apologizing to Mr. Jay for the considerable inconvenience her dogs had caused him, and asking him how much the ammo cost, so she could reimburse him.

Am I off base here?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

taxwhat wrote:

[align=justify]
jbs49238: The pet owner should be suing Mr.

Jay for the pet bills soon. No evidence of attack ... If you shoot an intruder on your property and fail to kill him, you can be sued for damages. I fail to see a difference here

[/align]
If this guy really thinks its acceptable for an armed burglar to sue you if you shoot him inside your own home, then he can suck a fart directly out of my cornhole.

michiganbill

imported post

Wow I knew if I surfed long enough I would finda site that had nothing but perfect people on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong for any of you, wow....Lets see he hit the dogs on the head with a rake and they ran away, why not call animal control then?? Then they came up the driveway again showing their teeth and growling and biting Jan's walker, sure they did Jan,,,,How viscious can a golden retriever get??I would think a 410 shot over their heads would have done the trick,,Yes we all need to control our dogs but hey sometimes one gets out, does it really need to be shot though? Pitbull, Dobe , wild dog maybe but a golden?? I just found his story very suspect...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

michiganbill wrote:
Wow I knew if I surfed long enough I would finda site that had nothing but perfect people on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong for any of you, wow....Lets see he hit the dogs on the head with a rake and they ran away, why not call animal control then?? Then they came up the driveway again showing their teeth and growling and biting Jan's walker, sure they did Jan,,,,How viscious can a golden retriever get??I would think a 410 shot over their heads would have done the trick,,Yes we all need to control our dogs but hey sometimes one gets out, does it really need to be shot though? Pitbull, Dobe , wild dog maybe but a golden?? I just found his story very suspect...

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
michiganbill wrote:

I wondered how long it would be before that one showed up! lol

DanM

imported post

michiganbill wrote:
Yes we all need to control our dogs but hey sometimes one gets out, does it really need to be shot though? Pitbull, Dobe , wild dog maybe but a golden??
Love how you lump in pitbulls and dobermans with wild dogs. The behavior of domesticated dogs are mostly determined by how they are raised and handled.No dog,raised and handledproperly, is a threat. I've seen examples of most breeds, including retrievers, not raised and handled properly and which are a threat.I have a pitbull, and she'sbetter behaved than some golden retrievers I've seen in the park. It is obvious in this story that the owner of those dogs did not raise or handle her dogs properly. She should be ticketed or charged for any local ordinances or infractions she is guilty of.

I just found his story very suspect...
The authorities investigated and found the dogs were shot on Mr. Jay'sproperty, Mr. Jay'slivestock were cornered, and there were no conflicting statements. You can put your mind to rest.

G

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Would it be wrong if this Mr. Jan Jay were to now go and "finish" the job?
Would it be wrong if this Mr. Jan Jay were to now go and make it a"done deal"?:celebrate

michiganbill

imported post

Wow love the animated finger didn't know yall were so talented. Knew i should not have mentioned any breeds, I own 50 acres in monroe county and have raised beef cattle,hogs and poultry. If I was having a problem like Jaysaid he was having all the time then call our animal control. We pay them thousands of taxpayer dollars so earn it. I have raised and trained hounds and birdogs for over 35 years at one time or another you run into an escape artist this doesn't mean the dog should be shot, Also I am a member of People Eating Tasty Animals and have ben a member for 57years.

G

imported post

michiganbill wrote:
Wow love the animated finger didn't know yall were so talented. Knew i should not have mentioned any breeds, I own 50 acres in monroe county and have raised beef cattle,hogs and poultry. If I was having a problem like Jaysaid he was having all the time then call our animal control. We pay them thousands of taxpayer dollars so earn it. I have raised and trained hounds and birdogs for over 35 years at one time or another you run into an escape artist this doesn't mean the dog should be shot, Also I am a member of People Eating Tasty Animals and have ben a member for 57years.
I agree. We should let the government solve our problems for us. Why should anyone have the right to protect there property, livestock, or themselves when there's a government agency capable of doing it for us. After all they know what's best for us.

DanM

imported post

michiganbill wrote:
I have raised and trained hounds and birdogs for over 35 years at one time or another you run into an escape artist this doesn't mean the dog should be shot, Also I am a member of People Eating Tasty Animals and have ben a member for 57years.

Again . . . the authorities investigated and found the dogs were shot on Mr. Jay'sproperty, Mr. Jay'slivestock were cornered, and there were no conflicting statements. To add to yourmemberships, you might want to look intosome reading comprehension self-help groups.

If I was having a problem like Jaysaid he was having all the time then call our animal control.
There isatried and true saying inself-defense: when seconds count, the police are minutes away. When it comes to protecting yourself or your livestock from dogs, I'm sure when seconds count, animal control is probably hours away.

taxwhat

imported post

our view

To the point

The unfortunate shooting of two pets in Exeter Township underscores the obligations of both pet owners and property owners.[size= ][/size]

Dog incident holds potential lessons

The best that can be said of unfortunate incidents is that they sometimes hold lessons for us all.

Such is the case of the shooting of two dogs owned by Daphnia Davis of Ash Township at the hands of neighbor Jan Jay.

Mr. Jay shot the dogs on his Exeter Township prop­erty, fearing they were going after him or his livestock.

Mrs. Davis contends Mr. Jay was cruel, used excessive force and should be charged with a crime.

The Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office reviewed the case and determined no crime had been committed.

The dogs were shot on Mr.

Jay’s property and he has a right to do that under a 1919 law, prosecutors said.

Obviously, there are high emotions on both sides of this issue. On the one hand, no one wants to see their pets harmed. By her ac­count, Mrs. Davis’ dogs are gentle and the chances that they would have harmed Mr. Jay or his geese are remote.

Even so, Mr. Jay wasn’t familiar with the dogs and wouldn’t have known their dispositions when they showed up on his property.

They apparently were un­deterred after he hit them with a rake and menaced him. Also, anyone who has livestock and lives in rural areas of the county can understand the frustration of losing valuable animals at the hands of stray dogs or other marauding critters.

Anyone who has dogs knows that they can some­times get loose and stray from their owner’s property.

Indeed, one of Mrs. Davis’ wounded animals was picked up by Monroe County Animal Control after Mr. Jay called 911. Apparently, they had been missing from Mrs.

Davis’ home for a while.

One of the dogs might be blinded in one eye from be­ing shot. Both dogs needed medical care. But the out­come could have been worse. Mr. Jay could have tracked the dogs after the shooting and made sure to kill them.

Or, they might have injured him or his geese. No one knows for sure.

What is sure is that pet owners have the responsibil­ity to keep their animals un­der control and are respon­sible for the consequences of any injury or damage to others they may cause. Mrs.

Davis might have recovered her pets sooner — or per­haps they wouldn’t have been shot at to begin with — if they were wearing animal licenses as the law requires.

It’s tempting to interpret Mr. Jay’s response as over­reaction, but it’s also easy to second-guess under such circumstances. A larger question might be whether Mr. Jay, or anyone else for that matter, needs to use a gun to repel marauding ani­mals or whether any num­ber of chemical repellents might be less destructive or traumatic, but more effec­tive and appropriate, if they are at hand when needed.

Regardless, both pet and livestock owners can take lessons from this unfortu­nate episode that will pre­vent similar incidents from occurring in the future.