• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robbery in Ghent in a "relatively good part of Norfolk"

DocDaddy

imported post

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-bakers-crust-crime,0,6996353.story

Taylor Denson had just picked up her dinner at Baker's Crust on 21st Street in Ghent when she found out that police were investigating a violent robbery.

"It's scary to think that anywhere you go you could be harmed," *1 Denson said.

Police say a Baker's Crust employee was robbed just after the restaurant closed for business last Thursday.

Norfolk police say the restaurant employee was bringing deliveries in and out of the back door when a man approached him holding a handgun. Police say that man forced the employee back into the restaurant and was followed by two other men. They say one of them hit the employee over the head, then they tied him up with duct tape. Police say that's when they stole his wallet and the restaurant safe.

"This is like a relatively good part of Norfolk, too. It's Ghent. I wouldn't expect anyone to get robbed out here," *2 Denson said.

Police say the employee was treated for minor injuries, but is fine.

But customers like Taylor say they are going to be more careful.

"Park closer to the front door, make sure I stay in lit areas, or that there is people around, just things like that to protect yourself," *3 she said.

Norfolk police say they are looking for three suspects in connection with this robbery. If you have any information that can help them tonight, call the Crime Line at 1-888-lock-u-up.

1. DUH!
2. Really? Ghent has a good part? I must have been visiting the "not-so-good" part the last 7 years!
3. Really? It sounds as if she has been to one of the "Protect yourself" seminars that the local LEA offer.

t33j

imported post

lol
Problem with this area is that the "nice" parts are next to not so "nice" parts. There was a murder less than a mile away from the place last Monday or Tuesday.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DocDaddy wrote:
Taylor Denson had just picked up her dinner at Baker's Crust on 21st Street in Ghent when she found out that police were investigating a violent robbery.

Well, it's probably taken out of context...but it still may be an accurate reflection of the naiveté of some (most?) of this country's citizenry. That is, until they personally get bopped on the head by some cretin with a gun.

Hmm, why didn't the reporter get a quote from the injured employee? I would like to know what he had to say...

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
DocDaddy wrote:

Well, it's probably taken out of context...but it still may be an accurate reflection of the naiveté of some (most?) of this country's citizenry. That is, until they personally get bopped on the head by some cretin with a gun.

Hmm, why didn't the reporter get a quote from the injured employee? I would like to know what he had to say...

I actually know this girl.... :( Friend of my brother. The comment doesn't surprise me in the least. LIberal's can be very naive.

DocDaddy

imported post

HankT wrote:
DocDaddy wrote:

OUCH!!! That F-in hurt!LOL!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DocDaddy wrote:
HankT wrote:
DocDaddy wrote:

OUCH!!! That F-in hurt!LOL!

I'm sure he would say that. :)

But, I wonder if he would have alsosaid something like: "I thought he was gonna kill me. I felt totally helpless. I'm going to get a gun to protect myself in the future..."

Something like that.

No matter what, although quite usual, the story glaringly omits a quote from the principal subject. That passes for journalism nowadays....