• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pepper spray questions (a bit off topic)

crisisweasel

imported post

I have a few questions because this is a subject I know nothing about. My niece is 13 years old and responsible, but as she gets older she is out of the house more often at her friends. We live in a development called Dove Mountain in Marana.

Recently, someone on one of the trails around here was attacked by a rabid Javelina. I know she walks those trails with her friends sometimes.

Also, she sometimes comes home after the sun has set.

So I was considering getting her some kind of spray. My questions are as follows:
  1. Does it makes sense to give a 13 year old pepper spray? I think she'd be fine with it, but I was just curious if anyone else has kids about that age that have it.
  2. Are there any laws about minors having it in the State of Arizona?
  3. I would like to get something relatively compact, so that she takes it everywhere (except school, obviously). I am not familiar with formulations. Can anyone make specific recommendations? Ideally the spray should be efficacious against humans and filthy beasts as well.
There's a lot out there and I suspect some of the more expensive stuff may be overly hyped. I've never owned spray or used it myself, so I'm curious what people have to say about it.

Thanks.

impulse

imported post

I did not find any laws regarding pepper spray in AZ.

As long as she does not use it in a unlawful way. I think she will be fine.

Just tell her to not tell her friends that she has it. Kids are.... well kids. :p

TOF

imported post

I would worry about unintended consequences regarding Javelina. The hiss of a spray might make them think there was a snake to eat and there is no guarantee the pepper would have any effect. Javelina are not nocturnal so should be in bed at dark thirty. Cougars are another thing entirely and should be a concern.

Best bet is to have her home by dark or provide transport.

I personally think it is a bad idea until older.

crisisweasel

imported post

Well I can tell you for certain that Javelinas are out and about late at night, as I have encountered them literally dozens of times, in packs between the hours of 11pm and 3am.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeah... the javelina are out at night. You're the other side of the Tucsons from me... but this is still the 'desert'. I wouldn't bet my bacon on pepper spray at all.Javelina move fast 'n reaction time may not be what you'd expect. There's lions... but very rare. There are wolves tho... Mexican gray's. I've seen 2 of 'em in tha past year 'n a half 'n now 'n then hear 'em.

impulse418 gave good advice. I suppose anything is better than nothing at all tho.