• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Manassas next month

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I am traveling from my home state of Michigan to Virginia next month. I OC everyday and am a Coordinator for Michigan Open Carry, Inc. I also have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. I am looking for any information on OCing in Va. Are there any confusing laws or situations to be specifically aware of? So far one I've read is that one must OC in a restaurant that serves alcohol, that CC is prohibited. Thanks in advance for helping out.

virginiatuck

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I am traveling from my home state of Michigan to Virginia next month. I OC everyday and am a Coordinator for Michigan Open Carry, Inc. I also have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. I am looking for any information on OCing in Va. Are there any confusing laws or situations to be specifically aware of? So far one I've read is that one must OC in a restaurant that serves alcohol, that CC is prohibited. Thanks in advance for helping out.
I've been trying to keep the wikipedia section up-to-date for Virginia gun laws:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29#Virginia

nova

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
No OC in state parks.

Or national parks/forests until February 22nd (check the date).

No duty to inform (LEO).
Just to clarify, it is currently OK to CC with permit in National Forests (since the OP stated he has a MI permit)

virginiatuck

imported post

nova wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
No OC in state parks.

No duty to inform (LEO).
Just to clarify, it is currently OK to CC with permit in National Forests (since the OP stated he has a MI permit)
I believe National Forests are outside the scope of the OP's question anyway. He's just asking about State regulations. Or are National Forests somehow also regulated by the State?

t33j

imported post

CC is ok in VA state forests. OC is not... yet.
See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/37123.html

Carry is fine on Virginia Public Universities, although the local police will probably try to convince you otherwise.

virginiatuck wrote:
I've been trying to keep the wikipedia section up-to-date for Virginia gun laws:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29#Virginia
VCU is explicitly mentioned in the state code as a prohibited place.

nova

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
nova wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
No OC in state parks.

No duty to inform (LEO).
I believe National Forests are outside the scope of the OP's question anyway. He's just asking about State regulations. Or are National Forests somehow also regulated by the State?
AFAIK National Forest carry is regulated by the state.

virginiatuck

imported post

nova wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
nova wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
No OC in state parks.

No duty to inform (LEO).
AFAIK National Forest carry is regulated by the state.
You appear to be correct: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC15-40-60

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
You will find that Virginia is very gun-friendly and accepting of OC'ers. I OC all around Manassas and its surrounds, since I live about six miles from there, and have never had a problem in Manassas. While you're here, you should give a shout and try to get some people together for a lunch or dinner.

Enjoy your stay and spend lots of money.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

t33j wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC90-10-50
It says "no person", not "no member of the university". Although the previous sentence implies that's what was intended.

Actually, the previous sentence says "no act of any member of the university community" and then it says "To that end, no person blah blah blah". The phrase "To that end",is a connecting phrase thatrefers back to the previous sentence.

Obviously, the offenses listed such as disrupting class and plagurism are directed at students and University employees (the members of the university community).

This has been discussed here to death many times over.

nova

imported post

t33j wrote:
What of GMU then?
It has been held by the Circuit Court of Fairfax County that GMU's Virginia Administrative Code regulation applies to everyone except LE, including the public. However it only applies to (generalizing here) buildings and events. Nothing prohibits anyone from OCing or CCing on GMU's campus otherwise.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

As soon as I know the dates I will post them. I have a friend coming home from Germany for surgery. Just waiting on the army to set the dates. As with any thing with the government you never know how long that will take. It will be sometime in March for sure.