• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pa., Va., Del. gun permits would be valid in Md

Regular_Joe

imported post

Has anyone heard how this hearing went?

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/ne..._del._gun_permits_would_be_valid_in_md/51082/

ANNAPOLIS — Handgun permits issued by Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware would be valid in Maryland under legislation proposed by a Cecil County Republican lawmaker.
Delegate Michael D. Smigiel Sr. has proposed the change to Maryland’s firearms law, which would also extend to licenses to carry concealed firearms. A House committee will hold a hearing on the legislation Tuesday afternoon.
Maryland gun permit applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and have a ``good and substantial reason’‘ to carry the handgun. Several categories of people, including addicts and those who exhibit a propensity for violence or instability are barred from receiving gun permits.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I wouldn't hold my breath. Of course, Maryland has let Virginia do the heavy lifting before, so maybe she would let the possibility of running into an armed Virginian act as a deterrent without allowing her own people to exercise their 2A rights......

Then again, Babs Mikulski is facing an increasingly credible Republican threat to send her back to chowing down on kielbasa and boilermakers in Baltimore's Highlandtown neighborhood. So I guess anything is possible.

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath. And BTW even if this passes, I would rather be two black guys at a Klan rally than a Virginian facing Maryland law/courts after a righteous shooting. Think about that.

(PS: Mikulski really does eat kielbasa and drink boilermakers. And she cusses to put a drunken sailor to shame. I have seen it up close. T'ain't pretty.)

Dreamer

imported post

Oh, and one more thing about Babs Mikulski. Even though she is one of the most ANTI-2A Senators inthe US Congress and was instrumental in getting MD's "assault weapons ban" enacted, she held a MD "unlimited" carry permit for YEARS.

Of course, she doesn't need that anymore because she has enough seniority in the Senate to rate a personal Secret Service detail to protect her now.

I'm starting to think that elitism, arrogance, and hypocrisy are actually job requirements in MD government...

Alexcabbie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Oh, and one more thing about Babs Mikulski. Even though she is one of the most ANTI-2A Senators inthe US Congress and was instrumental in getting MD's "assault weapons ban" enacted, she held a MD "unlimited" carry permit for YEARS.

Of course, she doesn't need that anymore because she has enough seniority in the Senate to rate a personal Secret Service detail to protect her now.

I'm starting to think that elitism, arrogance, and hypocrisy are actually job requirements in MD government...

No, she has a Capitol Police detail.

BTW the USCP are in an odd position, because they are members of the Legislative branch, but wield powers delegated to the Executive branch. Therefore they tread a minefield of Constitutional conundrums in everything they do. How this came to be I do not know, but I do know that if you are arrested by the Capitol Police, you are just as busted as if you had been popped by the SS even though the USCP in no way reports to the President or anyone who answeres to him.

Dreamer

imported post

AlexCabbie, Point noted, and properly filed. I assumed that it was the Secret Service who guarded Senators. I did not realize it was USCP. No wonder Babs had a MD PtCaH... ;)

To the OP, "RegularJoe", you should check out the thread on this Bill in the Maryland section. I've been reporting on this one for 2 months, and I drove to MD Tuesday to testify in support of this Bill. I've filed my report of the proceedings on this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/35640-4.html

And as soon as they mail the DVD of the video recording from the Committee to me, I'll be posting video clips from the Committee Testimonies on YouTube.

Luckily, I live in NC, which is a "one party consent" state. And because this Committee met in the MD Legislature and is an official Matter of Public Record, the video recordings are NOT restricted by MD's oppressive "two-party consent" wiretapping and recording laws...

I suppose I might as well start planning NOW for the illegal Terry Stops I'm going to be subjected to in the future in MD. Anyone know a good Civil Rights Lawyer in MD? ;)

Regular_Joe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
To the OP, "RegularJoe", you should check out the thread on this Bill in the Maryland section. I've been reporting on this one for 2 months, and I drove to MD Tuesday to testify in support of this Bill. I've filed my report of the proceedings on this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/35640-4.html

And as soon as they mail the DVD of the video recording from the Committee to me, I'll be posting video clips from the Committee Testimonies on YouTube.
I will read through the thread - thanks. I hadn't been aware and was surprised to see it reported in my small town's newspaper!

TFred

imported post

Excellent report from the hearing.

This bill is not as much about the specific issue at hand as it is about a clash in the culture, specifically with respect to the relationship between law abiding citizens and their police force.

Even if it passes, it's going to be a rough road for a good number of folks (the first who choose to exercise the new-found freedom to carry a handgun.) It would take years to change the culture of the LEO community, and I am sure for some of that community, the culture will never change.

It's a good first step, whether it passes this time or not, the level of support from both citizens and the few legislators in favor is a good sign.

I truly believe the MD police community is scared to death of this bill, and I mean outright terrified like a little girl and spiders. They have built themselves such an exclusive fortress of gun possession, they probably literally think that this change will flood the state with crazy, gun-toting cop murderers, just looking for the chance to off a trooper on the side of the road.

I can barely stand going into Maryland as it is. Imagine what the demeanor of a routine traffic stop would be for cars with bordering state tags if this bill makes it into law. Someone is going to get shot, and it's not going to be a CHP holder doing the shooting, but a terrified LEO, and it will probably be some poor tourist who hadn't even heard of this new CHP recognition, much less someone who is carrying.

TFred

BillMCyrus

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Luckily, I live in NC, which is a "one party consent" state. And because this Committee met in the MD Legislature and is an official Matter of Public Record, the video recordings are NOT restricted by MD's oppressive "two-party consent" wiretapping and recording laws...
I'm pretty sure MD is ruled by only one party, and what the other party consents to they quite honestly don't care.