Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CCW, partially exposed

  1. #1
    Regular Member Window_Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    Hay all!

    I'm traveling up from CA in a few weeks, and will CCW for the first time. Seeing how I'm "inexperienced" in this area; unless I get a decent holster in the next few days, I'll be using an OWB concealment holster with a zip up sweater. Assuming that I get "noticed", and LEOs ultimately get called out (which I doubt will happen based on the reports here), what can I expect if I have my CHL, and I'm otherwise in compliance?

    Also, as far as the Indian Reservations, what can I expect when going through an IR on the Interstate? Is CCW on the Interstate system protected when going through an IR?

    Best.

    Erik.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Aloha, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    Window_Seat wrote:
    Hay all!

    I'm traveling up from CA in a few weeks, and will CCW for the first time. Seeing how I'm "inexperienced" in this area; unless I get a decent holster in the next few days, I'll be using an OWB concealment holster with a zip up sweater. Assuming that I get "noticed", and LEOs ultimately get called out (which I doubt will happen based on the reports here), what can I expect if I have my CHL, and I'm otherwise in compliance?

    Also, as far as the Indian Reservations, what can I expect when going through an IR on the Interstate? Is CCW on the Interstate system protected when going through an IR?

    Best.

    Erik.
    Hi Erik,

    Do you have an Oregon CHL? If not, you cannot carry concealed. Oregon does not recognize any other state CHL/CCW/CPL, etc...

    As for the Indian Reservations, as long as you don't stray from the highway, you should be OK. I would recommend you contact the tribal police for the reservation(s) you plan on driving through. It's not likely that they have jurisdiction over a US highway though. Where I'm from in AZ, if you so much as strayed off of the shoulder of a highway while on a res, tribal police could and would arrest you for firearms violations. Long rant short, call and ask.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Window_Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    Thanks for that, and yes, I do have my CHL, I should have clarified that earlier. I pretty much figured that the IR issue would be alright as long as I don't leave the highway.

    Erik.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Caldwell ID
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    Depends on where in Oregon you are. Most of the state isn't going to get too alarmed about it. Around Portland metro however you might get a MWAG call on you. I live in Portland metro and don't make a real effort to conceal it and haven't had any issues but then again the places I go I've been shopping at for years and they know me.

    I've found that a lot of it has to do with the image you project. If you act like it's no big deal and you are supposed to be carrying most people don't bat an eye. Act scared or suspious and it shows.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hermiston, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    If you leave the sweater unzipped, your gun probably won't print. That's what I wear when I want to conceal with an OWB holster. With your sweater hanging loose you are good to go.

  6. #6
    Regular Member PaxMentis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    Window_Seat wrote:
    Thanks for that, and yes, I do have my CHL, I should have clarified that earlier. I pretty much figured that the IR issue would be alright as long as I don't leave the highway.

    Erik.
    I'm curious since my bro-in-law in CA is wanting to get an Oregon non-res permit...what county did you get yours in? And what "reason" did you use?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Window_Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    PaxMentis wrote:
    I'm curious since my bro-in-law in CA is wanting to get an Oregon non-res permit...what county did you get yours in? And what "reason" did you use?
    How to get an Oregon CCW

    Mine was in Washington County, where the process was a very positive experience, but first you need to take a course. This is where I took mine:

    GunSmart - Firearm Training LLC

    Erik.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •