• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW, partially exposed

Window_Seat

imported post

Hay all!

I'm traveling up from CA in a few weeks, and will CCW for the first time. Seeing how I'm "inexperienced" in this area; unless I get a decent holster in the next few days, I'll be using an OWB concealment holster with a zip up sweater. Assuming that I get "noticed", and LEOs ultimately get called out (which I doubt will happen based on the reports here), what can I expect if I have my CHL, and I'm otherwise in compliance?

Also, as far as the Indian Reservations, what can I expect when going through an IR on the Interstate? Is CCW on the Interstate system protected when going through an IR?

Best.

Erik.

beavertonfirearms

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
Hay all!

I'm traveling up from CA in a few weeks, and will CCW for the first time. Seeing how I'm "inexperienced" in this area; unless I get a decent holster in the next few days, I'll be using an OWB concealment holster with a zip up sweater. Assuming that I get "noticed", and LEOs ultimately get called out (which I doubt will happen based on the reports here), what can I expect if I have my CHL, and I'm otherwise in compliance?

Also, as far as the Indian Reservations, what can I expect when going through an IR on the Interstate? Is CCW on the Interstate system protected when going through an IR?

Best.

Erik.

Hi Erik,

Do you have an Oregon CHL? If not, you cannot carry concealed. Oregon does not recognize any other state CHL/CCW/CPL, etc...

As for the Indian Reservations, as long as you don't stray from the highway, you should be OK. I would recommend you contact the tribal police for the reservation(s) you plan on driving through. It's not likely that they have jurisdiction over a US highway though. Where I'm from in AZ, if you so much as strayed off of the shoulder of a highway while on a res, tribal police could and would arrest you for firearms violations. Long rant short, call and ask.

Window_Seat

imported post

Thanks for that, and yes, I do have my CHL, I should have clarified that earlier. I pretty much figured that the IR issue would be alright as long as I don't leave the highway.

Erik.

Ruger9mm

imported post

Depends on where in Oregon you are. Most of the state isn't going to get too alarmed about it. Around Portland metro however you might get a MWAG call on you. I live in Portland metro and don't make a real effort to conceal it and haven't had any issues but then again the places I go I've been shopping at for years and they know me.

I've found that a lot of it has to do with the image you project. If you act like it's no big deal and you are supposed to be carrying most people don't bat an eye. Act scared or suspious and it shows.

neddis

imported post

If you leave the sweater unzipped, your gun probably won't print. That's what I wear when I want to conceal with an OWB holster. With your sweater hanging loose you are good to go.

PaxMentis

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
Thanks for that, and yes, I do have my CHL, I should have clarified that earlier. I pretty much figured that the IR issue would be alright as long as I don't leave the highway.

Erik.
I'm curious since my bro-in-law in CA is wanting to get an Oregon non-res permit...what county did you get yours in? And what "reason" did you use?

Window_Seat