• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver County CCW Permit

Suburban78

imported post

Was just asking this for my uncle who lives in Littleton (On the east side of Kipling and Stanford) which if his house was on the west side of Kipling it would be Jeffco. Gotta love Denver and their crazy county lines. His house is literally 120' from Jeffco! Any input would be great.

Thank you for you time and input.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
Was just asking this for my uncle who lives in Littleton (On the east side of Kipling and Stanford) which if his house was on the west side of Kipling it would be Jeffco. Gotta love Denver and their crazy county lines. His house is literally 120' from Jeffco! Any input would be great.

Thank you for you time and input.
Hmm... I thought of several ways around this, but none are legal.

It looks like a line is a line, and your uncle simply lives on the wrong side of the street.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, here's a thought - if he can get one of his neighbor's across the street to rent a room to him for $1 a month, he can change his legal residence. Just go to the DMV with a rental contract, wait in line for half a day, and make the change on his license.

While technically legal, if he also maintained a residence in Denver county for the purpose of living, family, paying other bills (though they could go in the name of his wife or another adult resident at that address), he'd probably get grilled about which residence is "primary."

Still, I can't see any illegality in doing this. Perhaps keeping a dop kit with shaving items, a key, and a suitcase of clothes there, too.

There's no law against having more than one residence. As to which one is primary, I dunno the law on that. Anyone else have two residences? Is there a 50% rule, or is it whatever you claim as primary?

Just a thought...

bomber

imported post

so what, is the question asked because it is hard to get a CCL in denver county?

I live a block inside of denver county

cscitney87

imported post

bomber wrote:
so what, is the question asked because it is hard to get a CCL in denver county?

I believe we are a shall issue state. If you apply And comply with the requirements, you get your permit, period. The issue here is that the county sheriff has to approve the licenses. Denver County sheriff's can take some sweet sweet time getting back to residents on these licenses. I believe that's where the question stems from, Bomber.

Suburban78

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
bomber wrote:

I believe we are a shall issue state.  If you apply And comply with the requirements, you get your permit, period.  The issue here is that the county sheriff has to approve the licenses.  Denver County sheriff's can take some sweet sweet time getting back to residents on these licenses.  I believe that's where the question stems from, Bomber.
Thats just it, he was told by a friend that Denver took 121 days to send the denial letter in which there was no reason (clean record), the friend then had to submit for a second review at which point it was granted. The whole process took just under 5 months! I have heard that Jeffco is pretty good with issuing permits in a timely manor.
Although I am still waiting for mine, still have up to 48 days left.

UPDATE: Spoke with the friend, it was not 121 days when he received his denial letter, it was just over two months and it only took 9 day's to get in and speak with the sheriff and 21 days after that he received his permit.

CO-Joe

imported post

since9 wrote:
Well, here's a thought - if he can get one of his neighbor's across the street to rent a room to him for $1 a month, he can change his legal residence. Just go to the DMV with a rental contract, wait in line for half a day, and make the change on his license.

While technically legal, if he also maintained a residence in Denver county for the purpose of living, family, paying other bills (though they could go in the name of his wife or another adult resident at that address), he'd probably get grilled about which residence is "primary."

Still, I can't see any illegality in doing this. Perhaps keeping a dop kit with shaving items, a key, and a suitcase of clothes there, too.

There's no law against having more than one residence. As to which one is primary, I dunno the law on that. Anyone else have two residences? Is there a 50% rule, or is it whatever you claim as primary?

Just a thought...
Actually I'm pretty sure if if you lease any property outside Denver city/county, you can apply for the permit in the county where the property is located

An applicant shall complete the permit application form and return it, in person, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the applicant in a business, or to the Sheriff that previously issued a permit to the applicant. The applicant shall sign the completed permit application in person, before a notary public; upon a sworn oath that the applicant knows the contents of the permit application and that the information contained in the permit application is true and correct.
So, yeah, I guess you wouldn't have to even have change your address.

At any rate, Denver is still in a shall-issue state. If he doesn't have a background, they are legally required and HAVE TO issue the license, or state the reasons for denial within 90 days--the maximum time they are allowed per Colorado state law. He'll probably be alright either way.

repojoker

imported post

CO-Joe wrote:
since9 wrote:

Just a thought...
Actually I'm pretty sure if if you lease any property outside Denver city/county, you can apply for the permit in the county where the property is located

An applicant shall complete the permit application form and return it, in person, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the applicant in a business, or to the Sheriff that previously issued a permit to the applicant. The applicant shall sign the completed permit application in person, before a notary public; upon a sworn oath that the applicant knows the contents of the permit application and that the information contained in the permit application is true and correct.

At any rate, Denver is still in a shall-issue state. If he doesn't have a background, they are legally required and HAVE TO issue the license, or state the reasons for denial within 90 days--the maximum time they are allowed per Colorado state law. He'll probably be alright either way.
How did your friend go about submitting a second review and what did his denial letter say?

RLCbushpilot

imported post

I got my permit in Denver County back in April and it was a piece of cake. You do have to make an appointment but several other counties have that requirement as well. From my appointment to the date of issue was something like 53 days. I don't remember exactly but I was shocked that they didn't use the whole 90 specified in the statute.

Suburban78

imported post

repojoker wrote:
CO-Joe wrote:
since9 wrote:
Well, here's a thought - if he can get one of his neighbor's across the street to rent a room to him for $1 a month, he can change his legal residence.  Just go to the DMV with a rental contract, wait in line for half a day, and make the change on his license. 

Still, I can't see any illegality in doing this.  Perhaps keeping a dop kit with shaving items, a key, and a suitcase of clothes there, too. 

There's no law against having more than one residence.  As to which one is primary, I dunno the law on that.  Anyone else have two residences?  Is there a 50% rule, or is it whatever you claim as primary?

Just a thought...

How did your friend go about submitting a second review and what did his denial letter say?
OK, heres the story. I was able to talk with Joe who had the issue. He said said it was an issue with his name. When Denver ran the background through CBI they got his fathers history. He has the same name except for he is Jr. not Sr. His father has had three DUI's and thats why they denied his permit, habitual alcohol offender. He also said that all he had to do was request an appointment to speak with the sheriff to straighten things out and revived his permit 21 days after. Joe also said that it was not 121 days when he received his denial letter, it was just over two months and it only took 9 day's to get in and speak with the sheriff and 21 days after that he received his permit. I should have know it was not a big deal, my uncle likes to over react and tends to fill in the holes in a story with his own ideas. Thank you all for your input on the matter.

Gunslinger

imported post

Barring some weird mixup on a background check, getting a CCW in Denver County is no different from El Paso or anywhere else. Colorado is shall isssue and they have to follow the process exactly the same as the rest of the state. I had to make an appointment for finger printing in El Paso County in '06 when I applied, too. After, it took two weeks to get the permit.

desettle

imported post

I know that in Douglas county, I just showed up, our sherrif office only takesCCW applications on certain days,for turning in my paper work, finger printing, and getting pictures taken, then it was 4 weeks before I received the call my permit was ready to be picked up.

Everywhere will have a different amount of time it takes, dependent on how many they have and how quickly they get the checks done. But they all have tofollow the state law and can not go over a certain amount of time.